Collection of incorrect Nightly predictions about Trump

Carrie Mathison

Starting a collection of incorrect Nightly predictions, so we can all conveniently just link this thread whenever one of these posters makes a politics prediction.

Of course, this list will grow over time as I come across more and more predictions- these are just ones I found from digging around 5 min.

Sit back, and enjoy:

Trump flat out sucked! He is finished and is nothing but hot air.

I know that sounds cliche, but it also happens to be true. Despite his money and current popularity, I think (just opinion) that there will be some sort of scandal, perhaps unethical business dealings, that will bring him down. I am pretty sure the media just hates him, and I think a good portion of the GOP establishment doesn't want him anywhere near the party, either. The mud will fly until something sticks, and it will eventually halt the Trump campaign, IMHO.

Could Donald Trump be our next president?

No.

Close please.

Jeb Bush has a better chance of winning the GOP nomination than Trump. Trump will peak early, and plateau at best, fall back into relative obscurity again at worst.

I'm pretty sure trump has managed to make himself unelectable. ... What he is accomplishing is he's making the rest of the Republican Party appear stronger by comparison.

He's unelectable and he's doing this for attention.

Trump released his financials. I believe the gig is up.

anyway i still have a hard time seeing trump or cruz getting the nomination no matter how well they are polling no matter how inevitable it seems

I think he really hurt himself with calling out McCain. Even hardcore republicans cannot support or condone what he said.

anyway i still have a hard time seeing trump or cruz getting the nomination no matter how well they are polling no matter how inevitable it seems

Believe it or not, I still feel that way today lol...

Iowa made sense to me. New Hampshire made sense to me. Wasn't until South Carolina where the two anti-establishment types, Trump and Cruz, outperformed many polls while Bush and Kasich underperformed that I really started to think "Holy ****, maybe all this 'insurgency' talk isn't just talk this year" -- though I still expected Trump to fade. Then came Nevada, and I started to think "Hmmm..."

And not long after that, he had such a big lead and seemed so impervious to personal attacks and scandal, I just kind of accepted that it was probably gonna happen, no matter my own confusion and what all reasonable, smart people kept saying.

If someone else made such a claim, we would have a 12 page post from Carrie explaining exactly why that person is a stupid idiot from Stupidville.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Starting a collection of incorrect Nightly predictions, so we can all conveniently just link this thread whenever one of these posters makes a politics prediction.

I know that sounds cliche, but it also happens to be true. Despite his money and current popularity, I think (just opinion) that there will be some sort of scandal, perhaps unethical business dealings, that will bring him down. I am pretty sure the media just hates him, and I think a good portion of the GOP establishment doesn't want him anywhere near the party, either. The mud will fly until something sticks, and it will eventually halt the Trump campaign, IMHO.

Actually, Trump HAS had some scandals and unethical business dealings. They just weren't enough to topple his campaign, at least not yet. And the GOP establishment DOESN'T want him, and the media DOES seem to hate him. So really, I wasn't too far off on some of what I said there.

I am as shocked as anyone to see he is the presumptive nominee (although I welcomed it, I am seriously shocked to see Cruz to have wussied out the way he did the other day, and dropped out of the race), and that Trump is the last man standing as far as the GOP primaries are concerned. At the time I made the statement above, I seriously thought Trump was just trolling the GOP primary, and really wasn't in it to win. I don't deny that at all. But then again, I think the case could be made that Trump's success is attributed as much to the weakness of the candidates the GOP had to offer this year, as Trump's campaigning ability.

But I'd also point out that the GOP convention hasn't happened yet, and some big GOP players already have said they will not support Trump (IE the Bushes, McCain, Romney). It remains to be seen if that will help or hurt, but I'd point out that Trump hasn't been officially nominated by the GOP. Trump still has the general election to go, nor is Trump president, yet. So you're a little early, here, CM. Hillary is all but nominated on the DNC side, and it will be an interesting race. In a Hillary/Trump race, that is something I definitely don't know who to root for (or more properly who to root to lose). Can't stand either one. But, for discussion's sake if I have to call that one right now, I'd have to say Hillary would win that match up. Maybe not handily, but there still is room for some scandal to pop up from Trump's past to derail his presidential run, assuming the GOP does officially nominate him in July. SO, I may yet be proven right, CM.

I haven't been proven wrong yet.

I guess not. But that being said, given your dismissive tone in that thread, coupled with how definitive you were and the fact that (2 posts later in the thread) you thought the polls were insignificant, leads me to believe that a) your opinion at the time was certainly that Trump wouldn't make it this far; and b) I'm sure that you wouldn't be as dismissive today when posed the question, if you're being honest.

But yes, you are right. Consider your inclusion on the list more of an 'honorable mention,' so to speak. :)

Actually, Trump HAS had some scandals and unethical business dealings. They just weren't enough to topple his campaign, at least not yet. And the GOP establishment DOESN'T want him, and the media DOES seem to hate him. So really, I wasn't too far off on some of what I said there.

I am as shocked as anyone to see he is the presumptive nominee (although I welcomed it, I am seriously shocked to see Cruz to have wussied out the way he did the other day, and dropped out of the race), and that Trump is the last man standing as far as the GOP primaries are concerned. At the time I made the statement above, I seriously thought Trump was just trolling the GOP primary, and really wasn't in it to win. I don't deny that at all. But then again, I think the case could be made that Trump's success is attributed as much to the weakness of the candidates the GOP had to offer this year, as Trump's campaigning ability.

But I'd also point out that the GOP convention hasn't happened yet, and some big GOP players already have said they will not support Trump (IE the Bushes, McCain, Romney). It remains to be seen if that will help or hurt, but I'd point out that Trump hasn't been officially nominated by the GOP. Trump still has the general election to go, nor is Trump president, yet. So you're a little early, here, CM. Hillary is all but nominated on the DNC side, and it will be an interesting race. In a Hillary/Trump race, that is something I definitely don't know who to root for (or more properly who to root to lose). Can't stand either one. But, for discussion's sake if I have to call that one right now, I'd have to say Hillary would win that match up. Maybe not handily, but there still is room for some scandal to pop up from Trump's past to derail his presidential run, assuming the GOP does officially nominate him in July. SO, I may yet be proven right, CM.

Fair enough, fair enough.

This thread was just meant to be some light teasing; not trying to seriously call anyone out or pick fights or anything. :)

Trump has another serious problem, based on what I've read: he fares poorly with married women. This is bad news: this demographic otherwise trends G.O.P. Without them, the odds are long, in light of the fact that the electoral collage is an uphill battle for the G.O.P at the best of times, and I'm not sure that there is a comparable democrat leaning demographic that he can capture to make up for it. He tanks with blacks, latinos, unmarried women and liberals. Union types MIGHT drift to him in preference to Clinton, but they are not enough.

For male politicians to do well with women, they typically either have to be liberal, male feminist types or a fatherly, family man sort. Trump does not come across as either, given his numerous divorces and trophy wives. Nor is he an especially attractive or handsome man. This can be a big factor - it basically got the current Canadian prime minister into power.

The only thing he has going for him is that Hillary has a lot of baggage of her own.

Barring a major scandal or other black swan event, I'm predicting president Clinton come next year. Mark it, Carrie.

I haven't been proven wrong yet.

I guess not. But that being said, given your dismissive tone in that thread, coupled with how definitive you were and the fact that (2 posts later in the thread) you thought the polls were insignificant, leads me to believe that a) your opinion at the time was certainly that Trump wouldn't make it this far; and b) I'm sure that you wouldn't be as dismissive today when posed the question, if you're being honest.

But yes, you are right. Consider your inclusion on the list more of an 'honorable mention,' so to speak. :)

To be fair, in that particular post I was more dismissing Spam than Trump. And polls are meaningless that far out.

I didn't think he would stick around this long, mainly because I didn't believe he cared enough to stick it out.

But I still will be shocked if he wins.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.