DID YOU FEEL THE BERN?

Justus

Let's say McCain won in 08 and he decided to push health care reform- the likely proposal would've been similar to Obamacare, since after all, it was originally a Republican idea.

The healthcare plan McCain ran on in '08 looked nothing like Obamacare. Not even Romney's plan looked like Obamacare.

It's all just political opportunism Chalup. Not sure why you think only the GOP does this.

I don't doubt that for a second, and I am positive both engage in the same type of demagoguery.

But, seriously, I was asking a legit question in this case, though. Of course I knew of Romneycare, and Hillarycare, but I hadn't heard of the essay "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," nor Nixon's insistence on state or federal health coverage.

I see. Well, I don't think the GOP was "lying" in their rhetoric. They earnestly and honestly opposed an individual mandate.

Now obviously, you could argue that their motivations for changing their position on that had more to do with opportunism than it did with sincere opposition to Obamacare, and you'd probably be right about that.

Let's say McCain won in 08 and he decided to push health care reform- the likely proposal would've been similar to Obamacare, since after all, it was originally a Republican idea.

The healthcare plan McCain ran on in '08 looked nothing like Obamacare. Not even Romney's plan looked like Obamacare.

Well neither did Obama's, who explicitly campaigned against an individual mandate. I'm talking about what would've been likely to actually be pushed once in office, not what people said on the campaign trail.

I know what McCain's plan was. I think he didn't particularly care, much in the same way you think Obama didn't. McCain's cup of tea wasn't health care reform (or really any domestic policy), and he was already trying to buck an image of being a maverick RINO. Thus it's an easy issue for him to throw a bone to the base on during the campaign.

The realities of trying to get something actually through Congress would've changed things, as they did for Obama when he did a 180 from what he said in the Jan '08 debates against Edwards and Clinton.

This is, of course, assuming McCain would've even pushed health care reform, which he almost certainly would've not. But had he, the resulting GOP offer would've likely been Romneycare redux to counter a public option.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harleysice

I know what you are saying about the books My mom spent the past few years empying her bookcases, but still had a ton left. But it did leave a great library for us.

we found the Federalist Papers on tape, I have always struggled with those, I will listening to them on tapet and see if my absorption rate goes up with listening to them. Also found Alexis de Tocquevilles

Democracy in America, that has been on my list for a long time, but have never gotten around to it. Anybody read it?

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone just whacked Trump on the back of the head. Trump thought elevating Sanders would marginalize Clinton by elevating her opponent. But Sanders would have come at Trump with both barrels while Trump attacked someone not on the stage and a guy who isn't going to matter in a few weeks anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.