Concert prices

Darth Ender

How much would you spend on a concert ticket? I went to buy Jimmy Buffet tickets at Red Rocks this fall and saw they were selling up to $1299 a piece (not including taxes and fees).

Is there any act, past or present, you would pay that much to see? I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a guy that still regularly tours.

I wouldn't pay more than £60 to see anybody. Unless its a festival, in which case you are seeing many artists. Even they're getting ridiculous pricey. But no musical act is worth £650 ($1299 ish) for a single ticket. Not even if a necromancer resurrected Hendrix for a one off show would I pay that much.

I'm posed I just dropped 30 on a concert, but that's more because the actual ticket was 20 with 10 dollars of "convenience" and "facility" fees. But yeah, 50 at the absolute most.

A decade plus ago I saw the Rolling Stones for a while shitton of money, a few hundred I think, but I didn't pay for it so lol.

I was kind of upset this past weekend when I took my wife to see one of her favorite bands for her birthday. I bought tickets two months ahead of time for around $40 a piece, and they weren't the greatest seats. Everything better had already sold out. But the day of, I was just curious and looked on StubHub to find two in the very front rows for just $25 each.

I don't really like to drop that much on single concerts outside of a festival. I'll happily pay $300 a piece for major festival tickets because it's an awesome experience that includes a bunch of bands and other fun stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for just one band. I'll probably drop up to $200 the next time U2 comes near me because I've always wanted to see them and they don't really do festivals, but that's about it.

After Bowie and Prince have passed, I've realized I'm more than happy to pay a premium for a legacy artist I might not see again. I'm glad I splurged to see McCartney a few years ago.

He's long past any echoes of his prime, but I'd love to see Dylan before he dissolves.

I saw Dylan. That ship has sailed. Go for nostalgia and just to see him but little else.

Yeah I saw Dylan for $50 (NZ) 10 years ago. He was pretty good but well past his prime.

There really are not many, if any, legacy artists left. The Stones don't really count cause they're still flogging a dead horse and playing every other year. Mick jagger is about one pirouette away from snapping a tibia. Not much reason to see them despite their veteran status.

I saw the Cure around the same time as Dylan and that was probably the most expensive single gig I've been to. But well worth it.

Edit: Oh I'd totally pay out my nose to see Iggy Pop. He still will throw himself around stage with no regard for personal safety and come away laughing and bleeding.

It would depend on who, where and when. I'd pay more for a smaller venue, more for a favorite line-up that either doesn't exist anymore

or never did, but for this discussion? I'd spend $1299 plus tax and fees for someone amazing in an intimate setting.

It'd have to be 20 times better than Buffet and more spectacular than Red Rocks-tho I don't know where-for that kind of dough, though.

That said, I haven't paid for more than 3 or 4 shows in my life and have been to hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, if you count bars.

I've never been a person to go to many concerts and wouldn't pay much north of $100 for most acts. The most expensive act I've gone to see was Paul McCartney last year, which was right around the $100 mark for the cheap, but unobstructed view, seats. I knew that would be my only chance to get to see him perform, though.

I won't go to big concerts. As a teacher I've seen Mom's throw a lot of money to take their kids to see Taylor Swift or some other band. While big arena rock seems to have died smaller venues for smaller bands at a smaller price are more my spot. I have gone to Lalapalooza and SXSW and ACL and Krazyfest but I look at that like a package deal as it's multiple rock days so worth the cash. The most I've ever spent was 100 bucks on going to see music live.

I guess I count myself as lucky I lived in GA as I got to see REM and the B-52s or Mastadon live in a smaller venue for a few bucks back in the 90s in Athens or Atlanta (I've also gotten to see a lot old rock bands like Creedence, Lynrd Skynrd, etc). Close to Austin to see bands at SXSW/ACL as well as Luckenbach and Greene Hall.

I'd pay up to $100 if I LOVE the band/act. Thankfully, the bands I like aren't in the superstar stratosphere, so I can see pretty much whoever I want very affordably, usually well below that. The most expensive tickets I'm looking at this year are about $45.

Honestly, national scale festivals are the best bang for your buck when it comes to live music.

The price tag of something like Lollapalooza, Coachella or Bonnaroo might sound pretty steep at around $300+, but you're going to get at least five or six acts that would normally have price tags hovering around $100 or more individually. Then you get a lot of middle-tiered acts that you likely know and enjoy, as well as a lot of up and coming bands that will be much more impactful in a year or so.

In the past three years I've seen McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jack White, Wilco, Deadmau5, Kanye West, Damon Albarn, Kendrick Lamar, Skrillex, My Morning Jacket, Modest Mouse, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, I could keep going. I would have spent at least ten times more seeing all of them individually instead of at festivals.

This is true... but when you live in flyover country and need to factor travel into that, the price gets a bit steeper. $300+ worth of festival tix plus $400 or so in airfare makes it something you really have to plan for.

Plus the fact that I'm old and arthritic doesn't make festivals seem too shiny anymore.

In the past three years I've seen McCartney, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jack White, Wilco, Deadmau5, Kanye West, Damon Albarn, Kendrick Lamar, Skrillex, My Morning Jacket, Modest Mouse, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, I could keep going. I would have spent at least ten times more seeing all of them individually instead of at festivals.

Pretty sure I've never heard a single song by any of the bolded names above. Or if I have, I didn't know it. Does this make me old?

Pretty sure I've never heard a single song by any of the bolded names above. Or if I have, I didn't know it. Does this make me old?

Pretty sure you've at the very least heard Damon Albarn, he's the guy behind Gorillaz.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, even if I had money to burn, there is something basically wrong with $1200.00 tickets for ANYTHING.

My limit is typically about $100. I have better than 20/20 vision, so I can deal with nosebleeds. Nothing a pair of binoculars and a jumbotron can't fix. :)

I might go as high, $150, if it is a true farewell tour...not that sh*t Motley Crue pulled last year where it was supposedly the last time in my city, then 6 months later, they're back. But seriously, unless it is a seriously over-priced concert, $75-$100 should get you a decent seat. Might not be stage side, but good enough to see everything.

Edit:

I saw the Cure around the same time as Dylan and that was probably the most expensive single gig I've been to. But well worth it.

OK, now I will contradict myself, here. I would pay some $$$$ to go see the Cure, but I'd have to set a limit at like $300 or so. I've never seen them live, but these days, I'd probably have to travel to see them, so the point is probably moot, anyway.

I went to a concert at Red Rocks just to see the venue while I was in Denver, and the tickets were around $50 if I remember correctly. I had never heard of Old Crow Medicine show before I saw them, but it was totally worth it.

I have seen them at Red Rocks the last few summers. Quite the show!

A friend went and saw Pink Floyd play at the wall in Germany. He didn't have to pay a dime because a rich friend didn't want to go alone. I can't remember the cost of the tickets to that but it was steep for the 90s. I think it was worth it.

the Cure is awesome to see live as well as Erasure.

I went to a concert at Red Rocks just to see the venue while I was in Denver, and the tickets were around $50 if I remember correctly. I had never heard of Old Crow Medicine show before I saw them, but it was totally worth it.

I have seen them at Red Rocks the last few summers. Quite the show!

Nice! We're we there at the same time then? Mine was 2 years ago, and it poured rain right up until they started to play.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.