Celebrity Deaths Do Not Effect Me

Driver

AM I a monster?

I am literally the only person I know who never, EVER gets emotionally upset over the death of a celebrity. Bowie and Prince seem to be two very big ones, and Robin Williams before them, that effects a ton of people.

I mean-- it's sad. And it sucks to see talented people who have done things I like die... but I didn't know them. It never effects me on a personal level.

I don't care about celebrity deaths, either. It's not like I've met these actors, athletes, musicians, or artists, and the works that made them famous aren't going away. The famous have an immortality that I'll likely never have. Why should I be sad they're dead? They weren't in my life before they died, and they're not in it after, either. And yet people cry their eyes out over dead famous people like their best friend died. It's weird.

The only one I can think of that really hit me on an emotional level other than "that really sucks" is Robin Williams. The impact of his death was partly due to him and partly due to circumstances in my own life at that time. For months before his suicide, I was dealing with massive anxiety problems and the onset of depression brought on by them, though fortunately I had things under control by then. Right around the time of his death, too, one of my colleagues also committed suicide. The combination of these things and growing up as a huge fan of his made his death hit me hard.

Otherwise, I don't get too affected by celebrity deaths besides thinking that it sucks that they died.

I am literally the only person I know who never, EVER gets emotionally upset over the death of a celebrity.

Define upset. I mean, I can't think of any celebrity death that's gotten me to start contemplating life, or feel depressed for a day. But there will be the occasional one that makes me go "That's sad" or "He was so young" when I find out the news.

Maybe because he played such a large part in childhood.

And that's the key I think. Some of you either had perfect childhoods or you had some other corporate or team escape rather than an individual singer or writer.

I first got turned on to Prince just as I was sent to the foster care system. Listening to his music got me through some rough times. His death brings me back to that time period. I'm grateful to him for the escape but also am reminded of that era in my life.

Maybe you didn't hit a rough patch in your life until you were older, less impressionable. Maybe your escape was drugs or drink, in which case no death will bring it back for you.

Really!?

I try to think the most influential famous person on my life, and what would happen if they died... and ... nothing.

Yeah, same.

Although I had to take a minute before I could watch any of Robin Williams' work after he passed. I wasn't sad, it was just... too weird for a little while.

I think a lot of it is that I've done some pretty intense historical study. Like, 100 years seems like a flash in the pan to me, because I've worked on a 2000 year old archaeological project, you know? A lot of my heroes died a long, LONG time before I was born, so it doesn't really affect my opinion of their influence on me as to whether they're alive or dead.

I think it's odd that any celebrity death has a real effect on anyone who didn't personally know the person. We're professional mourners. It didn't even take an hour for people

to start leaving flowers and stuffed animals at Paisley Park. And seriously, who are they FOR? Prince can't use them. It's something I've found very odd all my life. I mean, yeah,

I'll miss that he won't put out more good music, but his passing has no effect on me at all.

I remember feeling something when Princess Diana died but I think that was more mild shock-people so young and protected aren't really on my Dead Pool radar.

But those who cry and shit? I don't get that at all.

Music is very personal to me. So when when one of my heroes die; Prince, Bowie, George Martin, all of that emotion that their work inspired floods back to the surface. Of course I didn't know them personally, but that doesn't mean you didn't experience a part of that person through their art.

I am literally the only person I know who never, EVER gets emotionally upset over the death of a celebrity.

Define upset. I mean, I can't think of any celebrity death that's gotten me to start contemplating life, or feel depressed for a day. But there will be the occasional one that makes me go "That's sad" or "He was so young" when I find out the news.

It never moves past the "AW-- that sucks." Phase. No depression or tears or blasting my social media wall with tributes.

And that's the key I think. Some of you either had perfect childhoods or you had some other corporate or team escape rather than an individual singer or writer.

I first got turned on to Prince just as I was sent to the foster care system. Listening to his music got me through some rough times. His death brings me back to that time period. I'm grateful to him for the escape but also am reminded of that era in my life.

Maybe you didn't hit a rough patch in your life until you were older, less impressionable. Maybe your escape was drugs or drink, in which case no death will bring it back for you.

It seems like rough and/or impressionable period of childhood is key. But I think of who those people are to me, an still nothing. Any artist/celebrity I can think of that fits that bill-- in some way I outgrew them. Even the most talented. As such I'm no longer conneted.

You're not alone, i'm the same way. Everyone was shocked when the Prince news was announced yesterday and my only reply was, "That sucks. I hate that."

Meanwhile I follow a former Drama Queen from high school for entertainment purposes and she just posted a lengthy tribute to Prince where she talks about how her boyfriends were jealous of her love for him. :lol:

AM I a monster?

I am literally the only person I know who never, EVER gets emotionally upset over the death of a celebrity. Bowie and Prince seem to be two very big ones, and Robin Williams before them, that effects a ton of people.

I mean-- it's sad. And it sucks to see talented people who have done things I like die... but I didn't know them. It never effects me on a personal level.

Generally with you on this.

Roddy Piper's death is the only one I can think of that tore me up, in large part because I had just seen him interviewed and thought he looked really sick and/or intoxicated. The same thing that got Piper (pulmonary embolism) killed Jerome Kersey, who had also felt extremely "weird and ill" before the clot killed him, so I knew it was something preventable if you know to look for it; I think that "preventable if care is taken" part is what twisted the knife for me.

Oh, also felt a twinge when Gary Moore died. Not because I'm sentimental, but he's kind of G_d when it comes to hybrid blues/heavy rock guitar, and it's the kind of thing you feel in your bones when he goes. Like the constellations are changing or something.

Outside of that... nah. Prince was a great musician, but I'm not crying like no dove. For those of you I know off Nightly, the video I reposted of me playing "Computer Blue" was done only under coersion, and the writeup by somebody else (the singer) who was genuinely upset by Prince's passing.

It never moves past the "AW-- that sucks." Phase. No depression or tears or blasting my social media wall with tributes.

It seems like rough and/or impressionable period of childhood is key. But I think of who those people are to me, an still nothing. Any artist/celebrity I can think of that fits that bill-- in some way I outgrew them. Even the most talented. As such I'm no longer conneted.

I didn't go home and cry. Probably the closest I came I knew he was a Miller Light man so I ordered one in his honor and poured a bit out. It wasn't so much mourning as I was stunned.

I also think there is a crowd mentality as well. Everyone else has to show off how upset they are to compete with the next person. It is kinda like when the Paris attacks happened and a lot of people on FB changed their image to show support. I get it, but there is something to me that was ungenuine about posting a French flag with the person camera whoring in it as well. It reeked of, "Look at me caring!"

I think JUST the French flag would have been better. Why do you have to put yourself into it?

I just mentioned this in the Chyna thread. It is sad when anybody goes, when it could've been avoided. Drug overdose? Can't a friend step up and help? If you care enough, do something. Chyna had problems. But, she could've been helped. She should not be gone. Same with Whitney Houston. Hey Bobby, how about you care enough about your wife and get both of you help? Jeez.

They don't effect me either. Most of them, there's really no reaction. The 3 in the last few years that have had me say 'woah, that sucks' is Robin Williams, Bowie and Prince. But there's no emotions, didn't make me wanna binge some bowie and Prince music or watch a few Williams classics.

It's sad and a bummer that anyone dies, I'm not trying to sound like a heartless prick. But just because these people are celebrities and I've listened to their music or watched their films over the years, doesn't mean I know them. so no tears will be shed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.