Alleged Ep VIII Script

Good God a Bear

So I know that the reincarnation of Anakin is unlikely, but if you view that as the case as you watch Luke's reaction to Rey handing him the lightsabre at the end of TFA, it gives you an entirely different impression. Kinda want them to do it now...(might be the alcohol though)

HC was good in Jumper and really good in Awake. He is still working too, by the looks of it. And he's won 9 awards out of 18 nominations. But don't let me stand in the way of some good hate. LOL

His awards?! LOL!! Oh this guy...I'm going to be nice here and merely say that if you subtract the ones saying how bad he is, it leaves an unimpressive list that tells a narrative about him; which says that he used to have modest success in small low-budget artsy movies, but when given the responsibility of large roles in blockbusters he fails.

Mediocre isn't an insult, it's a data point of the bell curve between horrid and breathtaking. Mark isn't a bad actor by any means. But he's not spectacular either. And, like I said, a truly wonderful vo actor.

In Hollywood, a mediocre, 36 year-old actor with a bad reputation and isn't anywhere near the center of the bell curve.

And yeah, he's still working, after several hiatuses. Think of each hiatus as taking a long shower, and his reputation is the grime. But yes he's still working...technically speaking. I read somewhere that he started his own "micro-budget film company", and he is acting in this movies. Not sure if he's making any money doing this, but its keeping him busy anyways. He's not getting cast much outside of that. I'm sure Star Wars funded this whole operation. Good thing Star Wars pays well; poor Hayden would be bored.

One thing I will say to HC's credit (just this once) is that I think the sheer amount of blowback he's received from his role as Anakin isn't worthy of the performance given. Playing Darth Vader was a HUGE responsibility, and looking at the end product of the prequels, very few actors could have come out of that alive in the end. Portman was bad, but nobody ever gave a crap about the character of Padme Naberrie, so her career was spared. That's life, and that's part of the reason actors get paid what they do.

What HC needs is a HIT movie ASAP. A second breakout role. He needs a good role in a decent, small budget, niche type of movie from a reputable production company that isn't forecasted to be great, but exceeds expectations and ends up being very good. It obviously needs a good script, and It needs a GREAT director not only to piggy-back some success off of...but to pull the very best possible performance out of HC, because he needs to KILL it in that movie. That's how you wash off the stench of prequels and give his career a fresh start.

Right now, though, it looks like he's spinning his wheels simply to let Hollywood know he's still alive, waiting for that second breakout role to come along. Then, ONLY then, a career will he have.

Mark Hamil is 36yo? What are you smoking?

"Fan pandering" like "fan fiction" has become a grossly overused term. Movies, especially these, are MADE FOR FANS. That, besides making bank, is their sole purpose. This isn't Michaelangelo's David here. It's a movie made for fans. Giving fans what they want is its job.

And before anybody freaks out I don't mean you give every weirdo outliner fan what they want. Nor give fans what they want all the time. But a large number of fans wanting Ewan back and getting that isn't what should be dismissively labeled as fan pandering. It's the franchise's job.

My mistake. I thought your use of the word "mediocre" included HC, who is 35, since I used the phrase "defending mediocrity" when describing HC's talent. I figured you were responding to that.

I wouldn't speak ill of Mark's talent. He's way too much of a class act, and treats star wars fans like gold. He is deserving of more success than he's had.

"Fan pandering" like "fan fiction" has become a grossly overused term. Movies, especially these, are MADE FOR FANS. That, besides making bank, is their sole purpose. This isn't Michaelangelo's David here. It's a movie made for fans. Giving fans what they want is its job.

And before anybody freaks out I don't mean you give every weirdo outliner fan what they want. Nor give fans what they want all the time. But a large number of fans wanting Ewan back and getting that isn't what should be dismissively labeled as fan pandering. It's the franchise's job.

Well, we are talking about whether there's room for Ewan's character in THIS story. I totally appreciate having him back as Obi-Wan in a stand-alone movie! I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have him in Ep8. If there's no room for it, and you throw him in there for no other reason other than to get a rise out of fans, then you've sacrificed the movie just to get Ewan's face on the screen, and that's a prime example of fan-pandering to avoid.

I even used Mark's name in what you quoted.

But, again, saying his acting talent is mediocre isn't an insult any more than commenting on his hair or eye color would be. And I like Mark. Everything I've heard from people who've worked with him is just as you say, total class act.

I see what you're saying about Ewan. It's a fair point.

So I know that the reincarnation of Anakin is unlikely, but if you view that as the case as you watch Luke's reaction to Rey handing him the lightsabre at the end of TFA, it gives you an entirely different impression. Kinda want them to do it now...(might be the alcohol though)

It's the alcohol

I thought it was more of a "You got my hand in that bag too?"

Well you know if it was floating through space all those years decomposition and rigor mortis would have set in. There's no way he could have used that thing again. Now if they had Fifth Element technology......

• 2 weeks later...

It's such a awful idea I STILL refuse to believe it. He's being misquoted.

That or it was Ardnts doing because everything I've heard about his draft seems terrible-- like going underwater to the DS 2 remains to find files. Cause Endor had oceans, pieces that big wouldn't destroy the moon upon impact, and there were zero copies of Imperial Records on Courescant.

Arndt and Abrams both seem to be confused about how space works.

Basically if a movie was in color it was awful, unless it was from the 70s

Hey, I love black and white. I legit wish more films had the balls to use it so that it doesn't feel pretentious and art housy in modern films. There's a lot of beauty and built-in flavor to it, plus I think one less distraction helps to focus the film.

Arndt and Abrams both seem to be confused about how space works.

God, Starkiller Base just gets dumber and dumber as the months pass.

I was more bothered by how they could look up in the sky and see the planets exploding despite them being in another system. Kind of like how in Star Trek in took them 10 minutes to get to Vulcan or in ID how somebody could transport all the way to Kronos from Earth.

Yeah, that's a good chunk of what I meant. I just didn't want to rehash it. You even hit on the transporter device in Into Darkness that was just dumb and makes you wonder why they need spaceships at all.

I can live with playing with physics a bit, there's some suspension of disbelief and Star Wars is hardly a hard sci-fi movie. Stopping the blaster bolt didn't make a lick of sense, but hey, it can be given a pass because it looked cool and not everyone knows how light works. But Starkiller Base just insulted our intelligence by ignoring some pretty rudimentary facts and made the galaxy feel small.

Anyway, I could go on all day complaining about pretty much everything after Rey has her lighsaber vision. So many bad choices. So much laziness in the writing.

TFA didn't bother me anywhere near as much as Into Darkness where not only can they now transport between planets, but they can also be brought back from the dead. And why do you hide a ship underwater instead of just hanging out in orbit?

If a movie is fun I can excuse a lot. There's lots of smaller things I let TFA get away with because it's fast-paced and I'm entertained. ID was terrible so I had nothing to do but stop and get mad at the details.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.