Billions: Season 1

Pong Messiah

Billions is one of the most frustrating shows I've seen in recent memory.

Paul Giamatti (Chuck Rhoades), Damian Lewis (Bobby Axelrod), and Maggie Siff (Wendy Rhoades) just own it in their roles, and there are several intriguing co-stars, as well.

But the plot: good guy crusading attorney is willing to resort to underhanded methods to bring down a bad guy inside trader who happens to be a fun-loving, charismatic, charitable fellow when not breaking the law; oh, and attorney happens to be married to a wealthy, successful woman who works for inside trader, yada yada... feels like retread. Ton of potential angles to work with, but it needs its own identity and a lot more nuance to actually be good.

So, in other words: I can't stop watching, 'cause the performances are awesome (Giamatti is freakishly good as the unlikable crusader), but the material and presentation needs a lot of hammering out before the show itself becomes awesome.

Hopefully Season 2 accomplishes that.

I love all 3 of those main actors holt crap. On that alone I'll check it out.

Yeah, definitely worth it for that alone. I'd be especially interested in your critical view of the show, given your understanding of television/film.

The delivery is badass and there is tons of chemistry and charisma to spare here. Well directed, too. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that if it kicks things up a few notches in the writing department and finds its own identity, it could be a seriously great show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.