Fear the Walking Dead: Season 2

Pong Messiah

Watching the premiere now.

Just 20 minutes in and it sure looks like more of the same, which is both bad and good...

-------

POST SHOW EDIT:

Actually ended a lot better than it started. With the city being incinerated and everybody taking to boats, perhaps too much going on now to focus on the characters, who have been the series's weakest point thus far. I liked the radio cat and mouse, the floaty dead, and am excited to see evil boat next week!

I haven't even seen season 1 yet. Im told its amazing.

It is not even close to being amazing.

That said, it's not even close to being the trainwreck a lot of people are calling it, either.

It's a decent but frustrating series with a ton of so-far-unrealized potential.

Strand is the breakout character of the series. If actor Colman Domingo is given the right material, he could keep the audience wanting more of him, instead of the family.

Agreed.

Cliff Curtis seems like one of the nicest, most down-to-earth actors around, and he is playing a nice, down-to-earth character forced into a nightmare. On paper, it should be a home run -- so I keep asking myself is it the writing? Him? Something just isn't clicking there. I do hope his character becomes more interesting; specifically, it would be great to see a decent person become leader in the walkocalypse without going stupid feral. But at least right now, Strand is head and shoulders above anybody else for me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

While I have yet to see season 2, I agree about Strand. He is by far the best character of the show.

As far as Travis (Cliff Curtis), I think what is off with him is that we all know he is going to go down the same road Rick does. It's like the writers know how its going to end up for the group, and created the characters as "every day" people, but they are uncertain how to transition them from everyday people to how they want them to end up, which is something akin to Rick's group.

I think what is off with him is that we all know he is going to go down the same road Rick does.

Halfhearted spoiler warning cause I know Chalup hasn't seen the most recent episode

He does make a kind of a tortured decision, siding with Strand not to let other people on the boat shortly after Los Angeles is firebombed -- people who are almost certainly going to die without help -- justifying the call by saying protecting his family is his most important. Ofc, at this point, Travis is still a softy; Rick would have shot them all in the head first to make sure they don't run into them again later.

Given their situation, it was obviously the right call, but not a pretty one, and shows Travis is definitely moving Rickward.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to Episode 4...

To my surprise, it was actually quite good. If I'm waiting until the Sunday after to catch up and there are zombies, you can tell I'm truly unenthused about the series, but I will now be back tomorrow.

Finally got some background on Strand and it was glorious; Alicia is being brave or stupid and we'll get to see how quickly she can think on her feet soon; Travis is coming in to his own walking that fine line between being "the stable one" and a leader who makes things happen; Nick had some shining and not-that-annoying moments; Madison showed the ability to think strategically; Chris is turning into a little pscyhopath; Luis Flores has been around for 30 seconds and I already like him better than most of the main cast.

Of course, now that we finally have some purpose, momentum, and growth with these characters, there are what -- 2 episodes left? Christ.

Yeah it was season break.

Good Episode, and the church scene was just... ick (and I mean that in a good way).

However, I'm coming to the conclusion that my enjoyment of each episode is directly proportional to how much of the story is devoted to Strand.

There is like, zero chemistry between Madison and Travis... I mean, maybe that's what it's like to be married for however long, but authenticity doesn't equal compelling viewing. I'd actually be way more interested in those two if they went throw a post-walkapolypse divorce, and how that changes group dynamics, etc. Chris possibly going psycho -- could see that from miles away, and it seems like it's only being played to try and make ANYBODY other than Strand seem edgy/interesting, but... meh.

And yet I still watch because I just can't quit the undead.

Soo...that was it until August?

Celia--otherwise known as Lizzie Samuels 2.0 was out of her mind, thinking the dead are just a different stage of life.

Salazar's largely last minute PTSD leads him to see visions, then set himself on fire?

I see marital bliss just does not hod up well in the zombie apocalypse, since Travis and Madison have split their allegiances based on bloodline.

Nick walking around thinking he's a destroyer, and rubbing zombie blood all over himself seems like a reaction rushed to fit 2A, as his worldview did not have enough time (in series) to form after escaping Los Angeles and still in withdrawal.

So, Strand's boyfriend dies. Seemed like the producers wanted a "we've got gays!!" moment, but once that media bait moment passed, made Strand single again. Don;t be shocked if Madison dumps Travis and starts circling Strand.

The series still has not created an identity of its own, with something distinctive about the early timeline. Right now, its just another story set in the ZA, but what's the big picture of it all?

The series still has not created an identity of its own, with something distinctive about the early timeline. Right now, its just another story set in the ZA, but what's the big picture of it all?

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

That said:

• I still like Strand a lot.
  • I have grown to like Madison and Travis... so long as they aren't interacting with each other.
  • Chris went from Rebel without a Clue to Ted Bundy in Training waaay too quickly, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Travis work things out.
  • I actually like Nick in "I'm dead, too!" mode.
  • Alicia... Ofelia? Who dey? Thankfully, there's been some development in that department, but have had to ask myself on more than one occasion if every woman not named "Madison" on this show has any job other than standing around being attractive, swinging a weapon here or there, and making potential group-destroying mistakes?

Anyway, hopefully Salazar is dead. He's not a bad character at all, but with what little development we've seen in 1.5 seasons, fewer threads to worry about is a very good thing.

• 3 months later...

Anyone care about the fate of the main characters?

Chris is set up to be a psycho in training, but something tells me he will make some stand against his new pals once they cause trouble at the hotel. Would not be surprised if he dies (I believe the actor has already moved on to Agents of SHIELD). Madison is nothing more than one dour face from one scene to another, with nothing pointing to her willing to hope for better days. Even crackhead Nick has a more positive outlook, and he's already angered the local ex-drug dealer camp.

Anyone care about the fate of the main characters?

Nope! :D

Chris is set up to be a psycho in training, but something tells me he will make some stand against his new pals once they cause trouble at the hotel. Would not be surprised if he dies (I believe the actor has already moved on to Agents of SHIELD).

I thought Robbie's brother looked familiar!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alecarrka

I never got into the Walking Dead. I dont think i even watched the whole first season. I cant remember why i stopped watching because my husband kept watching. But so far i have enjoyed what ive seen of Fear the Walking Dead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.