Rogue One trIler

Darth Krawlie

Here's how I see the hierarchy of "who cares about EU stuff", from least to most:

Filmmakers > Video game creators > Book and comic writers > Dave Filoni

Basically, I don't think Gary Whitta knew anything about Jan Ors or Dark Forces or any of the other millions of stories about stealing the Death Star plans when he wrote the script. At least, he might have had a summary from the story group. (drink, Seth) Abrams and Kasdan probably had never heard the name Jacen Solo when they wrote The Force Awakens.

On the other hand, Dave Filoni knows stuff about the EU and has been trolling fans about it for years. However, he only knows the most well-known stories and isn't afraid to put his own spin in things when writing them.

I'm not wrapped up in expecting the movies to know any thing about the EU, especially story-wise, but I am glad that Clone Wars and Rebels have grandfathered in a lot of names of planets, companies, species, and those sorts of things. Of course, many of those pre-date the EU, really, from what I know of the old roleplaying game pre-Zahn.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'd bet that the producers and writers didn't read any EU stories. Is there any plot in existence that can't be seen as a re-imagining of another story? R1 may be Dark Forces, but it's more likely to be The Dirty Dozen - In Space!

In my first post I said I think it is both.

At most they hit up a Wikipedia page.At most they hit up a Wikipedia page.

Well honestly besides video games, thrawn trilogy, a few darkhorse gn, and jedi cool's threads, what I know of the vast majority of the EU comes from wiki's. I am no uber fan of most EU books, but based on the preview, I see a lot of parallels with dark forces,. Too many to be a coincidence. Maybe the writers didn't read EU, but its not just one guy deciding the story. I think Disney probably has poeple sort of like their own Michael and Denise okuda (star trek historians)who help writer's with stR wrs lore.

#HollywoodThinksWeAreMorons

They're not wrong. I mean, you're not a moron, but there are many, many, many of them out there.

Truth. There are a lot of us.

Did he say this publicly? If so, that seems really, incredibly stupid to me.

Why bother squashing conjecture? Just let people wonder and let the story happen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.