Rogue One trIler

Darth Krawlie

Poorly written, sure. Poorly acted? I disagree wholeheartedly. He's playing a teenager and he comes across as a teenager. Teenagers are whiny. They're like toddlers with adult bodies.

I just think that you haven't spent much time with teenagers.

I used to work with teens, and I can say that 16-18 year old boys hit that tone about everything.

Fair points.

But his whiny scenes are so badly written and acted it takes over our perceptions. That power convertors line ... holy ****.

That line is SO AWESOME! Cracks me up every time! I mean it is awful but its so bad that its good.

What about Hayden Christensen in ROTS stamping is foot and saying "Its not fair!" when he's having a whinge about the council to Padme. Any bad writing or dialogue readings in the OT seem Shakespearian in comparison

As for the title, my guess is that "Rogue One" is a title bestowed by the Empire and is somewhat like The FBIs most wanted. Like as this girl keeps causing trouble she eventually earns the title "Rogue One", the most wanted person by the Empire.

Then in books or other media we will find out that the members of "Rogue Squadron" are all on this most wanted list as well.

Just a guess and probably not true.

As for the title, my guess is that "Rogue One" is a title bestowed by the Empire and is somewhat like The FBIs most wanted. Like as this girl keeps causing trouble she eventually earns the title "Rogue One", the most wanted person by the Empire.

Then in books or other media we will find out that the members of "Rogue Squadron" are all on this most wanted list as well.

Just a guess and probably not true.

That would actually be really cool if that is how they do it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sheesh. Tough crowd!

I, for one, am finally psyched over Rogue One. Until the teaser dropped, I have pretty much ignored it. I didn't quite know what to expect, but figured it would fall short of TFA. After watching the teaser, I'm now convinced it is part re-imagining Dark Forces, part OT, part Dirty Dozen, and part Magnificent 7 (or Seven Samurai, if you like), all mixed in the right proportions. And if the rest of the movie is as good as the trailer was, I think it will be pretty awesome...even if Vader DOESN'T end up in it. Might even be better that way.

Just watching the trailer again...

The main character starts off in shackles as she's led through the rebel base. Then the trailer ends with her wearing an Imperial uniform of some description. Could it be a blind with the scenes shown out of order? Could she start off as an imperial only to be captured and join the rebels??

It would make more sense and make her more suitable for the job at hand. The Imperial rap sheet they speak of doesn't mean she's a fugitive or outlaw from the imperials. She could have done all of that as an Imperial. Food for thought...

It's probably whatever she does to draw Imperial ire that attracts the attention of the rebels. But...I've seen potential spoilers, too...

...it is possible that her daddy is Mads Mikkelsen, who may or may not be playing a character who is guilty about taking what the Geonosians started and finishing it for the Empire.

I know in the EU that's essentially Bevil Lemelisk, but it's whatever.

source: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-wars-rogue-one-character-spoilers-mads-mikkelsen-actually-not-villain-once-513336

Guest El Chalupacabra

Just watching the trailer again...

The main character starts off in shackles as she's led through the rebel base. Then the trailer ends with her wearing an Imperial uniform of some description. Could it be a blind with the scenes shown out of order? Could she start off as an imperial only to be captured and join the rebels??

It would make more sense and make her more suitable for the job at hand. The Imperial rap sheet they speak of doesn't mean she's a fugitive or outlaw from the imperials. She could have done all of that as an Imperial. Food for thought...

Luke and Han wore stormtrooper outfits too...

I think she's arrested by Imperials, busted out by the Alliance, and dresses as a stormie to sneak into a base.

I think Jyn is a criminal wanted by both the Alliance and the Empire for committing crimes against both. The Alliance just happens to capture her, and they recognize she has some talents they can use. Then, Mon Mothma offers her a "go to war, or go to jail" deal, Dirty Dozen style.

As for Jyn being in an Imperial uniform, I think the obvious answer is it's a disguise to break in and steal the plans for the Death Star, and no more complicated than that. It may be part of an identity she assumes as a double agent, working for the rebellion. If Jyn IS based on Jan Ors, that would totally make sense, because Jan Ors' back story was that she worked as a double agent for the rebellion, against the empire.

I'm not saying this against you specifically El but Jesus Christ are we really gonna have to hear EU comparisons with each and every new movie? Especially since any similarities are obviously coincidence. With hundreds of EU books containing hundreds of plots and thousands of characters obviously something is gonna look close sooner or later.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So you think there is NO WAY AT ALL that the producers and writers were influenced by Dark Forces, or other EU characters, when they wrote Rogue One, and that any similarity is just a happy coincidence? Sorry SD, I don't buy it.

TFA and Rogue One certainly are new stories, and unrelated to EU. I don't deny that. But I also think its clear that both are borrowing from EU. It's the compromise that was made, to both create new stories, but also retain as many long time EU fans as possible.

I look at Rogue One as a re-imagining of Dark Forces, that cherry picks from it and other EU elements, but isn't a direct retelling of it. Rogue One happens to stand out more to me because I was very heavily invested in the Dark Forces\Jedi Knight games, and it is really cool for me to see Rogue One making quite a few nods to it, even if they aren't direct ones.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.