Rogue One trIler

Darth Krawlie

This fall on AMC... Captain Literal v Mister Sardonic: The Dawn of Eye Rolling.

Doctor Sardonic.

I'm spreading the word about R1 to all the non-fans I know. They like the trailer - it looks like the stereotypical Star Wars they expect. I think that's good.

Anyone else noticing a distinct lack of starfighters engaging in combat? Sure, some classic X-wings were in the background and some pilots were running around the base (presumably Yavin) but it doesn't look like the story is about X-wing pilots. Perhaps a better title would have been The Rogue One.

Is it plausible, though? We really have no information to build on yet. That's why I search for spoilers!

Look at it this way. Rogue Squadron appears in ESB, and is apparently destroyed to the last airspeeder in the battle of Hoth. It isn't referenced again, except in books where they become elite super-duper-pooper uber pilots that could wipe out the Empire by themselves. Does it seem plausible that Disney would title a major product around the story of how the rather minor (in the films) Rogues got their name? Is that a story anyone cares about? I'm sure the fearsome and powerful Story Group twisted some arms to make this happen.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The movies aren't made for fans - the books, cartoons, and games are made for fans. The movies are aimed at casual viewers, and Rogue One is a good description of Jyn Ersa, the rebel so rebellious even the Rebellion can't control her.

If Rogue Squadron is named after this movie, it'll likely be told in a book, not in screen. Unless there's a direct connection, like this being Rogue Squadron and it just isn't clear.

Looks like there will be lots of excellent visuals; I'm intrigued by Imperial Gandalf and am not sure Felicity Jones is adequate for the watered-down Starbuck role she was given. Overall a solid if uninspiring teaser.

Uninspiring? Well, I doubt its going to make you ignite your lightsaber over and over again, but after 7 SW films, I doubt anything can make that happen. Its a rather simple film universe.

That said, going back to the most interesting period of SW is a plus, even if we already know where everything is going, and expect many fans will yell, "bullshit retcon!" about who does what with whatever.

She seems a little insufferable, but Luke was whiney, Han was a dick, Leia was kinda bitchy-- I can hope her being less insufferable is a part of her arc.

I really wish people would retire that exaggeration about Luke; he complains in little more than two ANH scenes, and they write him off (either in that film, or the entire trilogy) as "whiny," when he's soon devastated/morose (Lars murder), eager (training), adventurous (rescuing Leia), devastated again (Obi-Wan's death) and focused/tense during the Death Star attack.

That "whiny" misnomer is just as bad as the "Captain Kirk screws every woman in sight" stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.