Rogue One trIler

Darth Krawlie

Basically the same as pong.

I didn't really mean visually as in how it's shot--I agree with you about TFA's cinematography breathing new life into the series. But a big complaint I had about it was every planet was boring, the ships were mostly boring, and I didn't feel anything special about the bases/buildings/whatever. This trailer looks like it's better in all those areas. And yes, a big part of it is ANH nostalgia. I'm assuming Mon Mothma is at the Yavin base, I like the blockade runner uniforms, etc.

I agree with you about TFA's cinematography breathing new life into the series. But a big complaint I had about it was every planet was boring, the ships were mostly boring, and I didn't feel anything special about the bases/buildings/whatever.

Yeah, I should restate here that TFA is my favorite of the movies, and I loved how it looked in many ways (I was not put off by the planets like many people were, either). It looked great and was effective without playing it totally safe -- but now that Star Wars's role as resident visual showstopper has been re-established, might as well branch out and take a few chances, which I think (or at least hope) we will be seeing in future installments, including Rogue One: trller.

I'm the hell in. I'm going to watch this so ****ing hard.

Bring on all the female protagonists. It'll take 4 more movies to catch up.

Back to an earlier side point ... I HATED Han's immature ass as a kid but I've mellowed a bit since. Still my third fave of the big 3.

What I love about this and have from the start is that it's not "hey lets make a 'Han Solo' movie or a "Yoda" or "Boba Fett" movie. Something like that on the surface doesn't really appeal to me, although I'm not saying any of those couldn't be good. This is just a cool story idea and although I'm sure we will see some old characters they aren't the main characters seemingly.

I love the shot of her in the transport early in the trailer. It reminds me of like Carrie in Homeland or the woman in Zero Dark Thirty.

Including lens flair. wee. I dunno, I'm not really feeling anything but blase about re-visiting the OT era. It doesn't make sense to me. The rebels had like, what, twenty ships attacking the death star? Here they seem pretty well outfitted.

To-tally.

Apparently Star Wars did not learn its lesson with the prequels. Sorry, but even if we have somebody more capable than George Lucas writing and directing (i.e. every living professional not riddled with addictions or a wasting neurological disorder), there are so many constraints and pitfalls.

Since we are going back in time, fans are going to throw an absolute ****fit if the movie isn't sufficiently chummed with Obligatory Easter Eggs/Cameos.... then a large percentage of them are still going to throw ****fits, because they don't like the specific Obligatory Easter Eggs/Cameos or how they were handled.

Since this is about a story everybody already knows, people are going to complain that there is no tension, because we basically know that this has to go from a Specific Point A to Specific Point B... but they are also going to scream "CHEAP GIMMICK!!" if they are thrown off by any crazy twists.

People are going to complain that they can't "get into" the characters since many are one-offs and not part of the larger mythos... but will cry bitterly if they become attached to them, 'cause they hate seeing them "wasted" in just one film.

Etc...

So at least with SW fans, I imagine there is going to be a lot of grumbling no matter what path is taken. Though, assuming it doesn't suck, casual fans will probably like this a lot.

That's actually a thought of mine. The prequels lacked suspense because we knew what was going to happen. The originals and the sequels have/had suspense because there were surprises and suspense as we didn't/don't know what's going to happen. I think it's safe to assume most people in this die, because they are nowhere to be found in the originals. And we know they succeed.

I have faith it will still be an enjoyable movie and I look forward to it. But I do wonder if the lack of suspense will hurt it.

Of course it will suck. All Star Wars movies, books, games, comics, guidebooks, and merchandise sucks. How and why it sucks is the only reason we post here.

Is it really a prequel, anyway? How long before ANH could it really be set? A few months? A few days? Seems like more of a sidequel. Do sidequels suck more or less than prequels?

While agree that knowing any member of this time could die it adds a bit more mystery, I disagree that knowing the end automatically means you can't have an interesting story with tension or surprise.

Oh, it's definitely possible. Everybody knows the outcome of WWII, many people know the gist of specific campaigns or the larger battles, some people even know the details or about secret missions,etc., and even so there has been no shortage of interesting, tension-filled stories mined from 1939-1945.

That being said, there are enough constraints in play to make me skeptical of some sorta Star Wars: Operation Valkyrie, and furthermore, the malleability of fiction is its own sticky wicket and I suspect the demands of fandom will force at least a few narrative concessions that will bug the living **** out of me.

As with the TWD season 7 opener, I am not saying Rogue One will absolutely be a steaming crap pile -- I suspect it will be solid, in fact -- but there are enough red flags to make me skeptical that it's gonna be able to blow me away.

While agree that knowing any member of this time could die it adds a bit more mystery, I disagree that knowing the end automatically means you can't have an interesting story with tension or surprise.

Oh, it's definitely possible. Everybody knows the outcome of WWII, many people know the gist of specific campaigns or the larger battles, some people even know the details or about secret missions,etc., and even so there has been no shortage of interesting, tension-filled stories mined from 1939-1945.

That being said, there are enough constraints in play to make me skeptical of some sorta Star Wars: Operation Valkyrie, and furthermore, the malleability of fiction is its own sticky wicket and I suspect the demands of fandom will force at least a few narrative concessions that will bug the living **** out of me.

As with the TWD season 7 opener, I am not saying Rogue One will absolutely be a steaming crap pile -- I suspect it will be solid, in fact -- but there are enough red flags to make me skeptical that it's gonna be able to blow me away.

What's it like living WITHOUT ANY SENSE OF JOY

Rogue One doesn't have to tell a continuing story. The fate of all the characters is uncertain. Isn't that uncertainty going to be the focus, rather than whether or not their operation to steal the plans will succeed or not?

Yeah-- they could all die. There's not going to be a Rogue One part Two. This won't be a movie scripted to set up the next one-- which Star Wars hasn't done since... well ROTJ.

There's plenty of movies of real life events we know the outcome of that are suspenseful and awesome.

Do you still hate it when the hook of a TV show is some crazy thing, then act one begins with TWO DAYS EARLIER?

Maybe this team totally and utterly fails at stealing the plans. Then at the end it just says on the screen "a bunch of other guys stole the plans."

I think it would be the best thing ever if they steal the Death Star plans through some amazing amazingness, then in the last 20 minutes Vader shows up and kills them one after another. Hero girl escapes him, meets up with Leia's Blockade Runner in space, transmits the data, then goes in a different direction to lead the chase off-- and DIES sacrificing herself so Leia can get away.

There's plenty of movies of real life events we know the outcome of that are suspenseful and awesome.

Yes

• Amadeus: Despite its backdrop of historical characters, locales, and music, the movie is almost entirely made up, and even though we know Mozart's gotta die young there is tension in figuring out how it happens... and the writing and performances are great!
  • Braveheart: Not as made up as Amadeus, but still highly fictionalized. We know William Wallace is gonna be drawn and quartered, but who cares ? Several of the confrontations and battles are viscerally tense -- what a revenge epic!
  • Argo: While this one doesn't let facts get in the way of telling a good story, much of it is true. If we've read up, we know the Mendez and co. are gonna get their people out, though there is more opportunity for tension and surprises here, because the story is less well known. For what it's worth, I knew they were getting out, but was still nervous the final 10-15 minutes.
  • Apollo 13: Some viewers complained it was almost too painstakingly accurate (i.e. dry), but still an excellent and tension-filled film in my opinion -- even though I'd read about this mission since I was a little kid.

However, these movies, while great, are only balancing between telling a story people will believe and one that people will find satisfying. You can employ composites to create a simpler, more effective narrative; you can make alterations in the timeline (within reason) to create more tension and connect disparate threads/characters; you can create fictional observers who will be an audience's eyes and ears and connect on a more human level; etc., etc.

But the above movies, with generous leeway, only have to convey to the audience events that did happen. They don't have to convey events that never happened -- and in a way that equals or surpasses the audience's preconceptions for how those fictional events should have happened, lest they rage. It's just a damn tall order.

The Star Wars Prequels were consensus terrible. But what about something like the Dune prequels? While those books weren't good, they certainly weren't as awful as everybody says (yes, even with Kevin J. Anderson as co-author), but despite some passable new characters and ideas, the books crash and burn under the weight of their own mythology. Much of Dune fandom (myself included) viewed the authors's character and plot choices as puzzling at best, completely unacceptable and childhood-rapey at worst -- not because they were necessarily horrific choices for any story, but because they did not belong in what our idea of the pre-Dune galaxy was all about. Leto's bull was metaphorical not literal, damn you!

So again, I don't expect Rogue One to be bad, but because of its nature, it has a much harder path to follow than if it were set in the same time period as TFA -- at least if it doesn't want to piss a lot of people off!

What's it like living WITHOUT ANY SENSE OF JOY

Not so bad, really. Probably helps that I've always had a thing for goth chicks.

Many Bothans weren't filmed in the making of this trailer.

Ugh. Bothans died getting plans for the second Death Star. STUPID!
I realized that a few minutes later when another manager and I were watching the trailer together lol.

I don't get the Thrawn thing. That guy was not blue. He was just wearing a grand admiral/moff uniform. They wore those in ANH.

I'm curious about the music. Is someone new going to score this? Can't see Williams scoring the side project.

Now that is something I am super excited for.

With all respect to John Williams and his great work as a film composer, TFA's score -- while still good -- was not even close to his best, and one of the few letdowns of the movie. Very excited to see somebody else take the reigns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.