Rogue One trIler

Darth Krawlie

She seems a little insufferable, but Luke was whiney, Han was a dick, Leia was kinda bitchy-- I can hope her being less insufferable is a part of her arc.

Well, Han is the only one of the bunch I really liked all the way through the OT. I appreciated Luke's importance in RotJ and Leia had some funny lines in ANH and ESB, but that's about it. So hey, I'll be there -- it's not like meh characters have ever kept me away from a Star Wars film.

For some context, I just rewatched a lot of the early pre-suck BSG (acting and writing better than I remember, visuals... not so much), so pretty much any SF "rebel without a clue" type is gonna seem like a pale imitation for awhile. But so long as they don't give Jyn Erso attachment issues and a substance abuse problem, I'll probably at least be able to tolerate the character.

Every single Star Wars fan I know is super excited about this trailer.

Of course they are. Star Wars fans are an easily excitable bunch. They were also super excited for the TPM trailer. Remember that movie and how super excited everybody was after they digested it? Wait until this movie comes out and people start deconstructing it.

Backstory is inherently more problematic to deal with. I guarantee you fans will be less forgiving of this movie's transgressions -- even if it is a better overall film -- than they were with TFA.

You're going to have a bunch of people freaking out about IF THIS IS A PREQUEL HOME COME THERE ARENT SHADOW TROOPERS AND SPEEDER TANKS IN ANH HUH? HUH? TELL ME TAHT!?

Forgetting that there were no Snow Troopers or ATATs in ANH, no biker scouts in ANH or ESB, etc etc etc.

I'm most intrigued about a shadowy figure approaching a glowy thing with Royal Guards...

This thread not withstanding it amazes me how salty people are and that they will literally complain about anything but then go on and see a movie like Batman V Superman and be like " why is everyone hating on this movie? I don't get it! This is like the best superhero movie ever!"

The trailer was effing amazing. I don't know how it's possible but I'm actually more excited for this than I was after I saw the force awakens trailer.

The trailer was effing amazing. I don't know how it's possible but I'm actually more excited for this than I was after I saw the force awakens trailer.

I can see that. Like Krawlie, I think it already looks better than TFA, even if other elements set off red flags. But were your expectations low for TFA? At least in my case, those trailers didn't excite me because I was not expecting it to be a very good film, and even a so-so movie can have 2-3 minutes of amazing footage. Of course, when I saw TFA, it not only greatly surpassed expectations, it gave me a better protagonist than Luke or Anakin, which really upped the bar for future installments -- the trailers didn't lie.

Er, I guess that's a long way of asking: do you think your "less excited" reaction to the TFA trailers was at all due to expectations?

That's one rogue rebel. I wonder if she'll run into any mercenaries or bounty hunters in her adventures.

It looks like Forest Whitaker is sitting in the Falcon at one point.

Are you being sarcastic? You've seen the promo shot of the cast right? It's been billed as the Star Wars Dirty Dozen from the start.

Moi? Sarcastic? I don't know the meaning of the word.

sar·cas·tic
särˈkastik/
adjective
  1. marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt.
    "sarcastic comments on their failures"
    synonyms: sardonic, ironic, ironical;
    derisive, snide, scornful, contemptuous,mocking, sneering, jeering;
    informalsmart-alecky
    "I've had enough of your sarcastic comments"

You're going to have a bunch of people freaking out about IF THIS IS A PREQUEL HOME COME THERE ARENT SHADOW TROOPERS AND SPEEDER TANKS IN ANH HUH? HUH? TELL ME TAHT!?

ANH: Extra Special Edition?

Or better yet: are they allowed to just remake the OT, or do they have to wait for GL to die?

Looks like there will be lots of excellent visuals; I'm intrigued by Imperial Gandalf and am not sure Felicity Jones is adequate for the watered-down Starbuck role she was given. Overall a solid if uninspiring teaser.

She seems a little insufferable, but Luke was whiney, Han was a dick, Leia was kinda bitchy-- I can hope her being less insufferable is a part of her arc.

I just assume that if a young character is insufferable, that this is going to be a bildungsroman and the character will be a zen master by the end of it.

Honestly, it's such a trope that I hope she matures into a grade-A hellbitch.

I just assume that if a young character is insufferable, that this is going to be a bildungsroman and the character will be a zen master by the end of it.

Honestly, it's such a trope that I hope she matures into a grade-A hellbitch.

YES!

I think that's part of why I liked Rey so much, actually. As consumers of media, we have had more than two decades of being force-fed these deeply flawed, sarcastic, tortured, morally gray (or darker) progagonists as a norm -- something that I think was actually a direct reaction against all the Luke Skywalkers and Supermans of the galaxy (uh, is the plural of Superman as a proper name "Supermen?"), but it kind of ran its course... awhile ago. Daisy Ridley was not only excellent in her role, there is something that was just so freakin' cleansing about about how she was able to be a good, sincere person with a clear moral compass while still being strong and capable (and not boooring).

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I gots me a feeling Jyn Erso is going to be one of those tried-and-true (tired-and-true now) Starbuck/Dr. House "LOOK AT ME I'm supa talented and driven and people try to love me but muh feelz were hurt once and I never recovered!" archetypes.

Wow. This far exceeded my expectations. Can't tell by the trailer completely, but I'm a lot more geeked about this than I was for the TFA teaser.

Edit:

But were your expectations low for TFA?

Not addressed to me, but for what it's worth, I had very low expectations for the spin-off movies as soon as I heard about them. This trailer has totally reset those expectations.

And Krawlie, Pong, tell me about this looking better than TFA. What do you mean?

idk what krawlie thinks bc he crazy and i will not gaze into the eyes of madness

For me personally:

• Generally speaking, I prefer how the blues, greens, and off-black/white pop over TFA's bath of orange-red and off-grays. Obviously, that's not the entire movie, but the color scheme of TFA was apparent from the first tease, and I imagine that's the case here, too.
  • Less generally, I like how the uniforms looks authentic without being retro. Holy **** -- an authentic Star Wars period piece? My head is spinning.
  • Specifically, the Superlaser Shadow play was awesome both visually and psychologically, and at least as clever as anything in TFA.
  • Sentimentally, I miss palm trees.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.