Equal Pay Soccer Thing

Pong Messiah

Again, there's nothing nefarious about it.

Well, I disagree with nothing nefarious going on at the college ranks.

That's a system that not only colludes with each other to deny fair market value to their labor that's worth billions (and in the case of football regularly results in brain damage), but goes that extra mile to make rules preventing that labor from earning outside income or even hiring outside advisers (what other part of college actively forbids preparing for your future career?). I could almost live with their not paying the players, but it's downright ridiculous that the players can't pick up endorsements, sell their own signature, hire agents, or even accept "gifts" from boosters.

It's a system designed to keep poor kids poor, and there really should be a law.

Yeah i agree with all that. However in a free market, your average college player would still be worth less and make less than an NFL player, and there's nothing nefarious about that, it's just economics.

That's the analogy I was making, I wasn't speaking to the fairness of the scholarship system whatsoever. You missed my point.

Yeah i agree with all that. However in a free market, your average college player would still be worth less and make less than an NFL player, and there's nothing nefarious about that, it's just economics.

Yeah, college players are definitely worth less than NFL players in many cases (but not all). My point was that universities are working together so that instead of players contracting individually with one of a hundreds of universities and colleges. They are one big artificial monospony. Either work for them for the value of a scholarship (that can be revoked), or don't work at all.

So the free market value of the players is completely distorted in your example. And is an opening for me to rant about a pet peeve of mine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.