New phone needed.

Ms. Spam

Apple products are designed to be good for a few years. It's forced obsolescence, to make sure we keep buying. Again, I am I too deep... In our household there are 2 iMacs, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, 3 iPhones, two iPads, and 2 AppleTVs. And that's just what's in current use, never mind the mountain of devices that preceded these ones.

I'm in the same boat. I grew up with Macs, so I am much more comfortable on their platforms and OSs. I just upgraded my iphone after 3 and a half years because I took the battery on it as long as it could last. My laptop is going to need to be upgraded in the near future, too. Their platforms and devices work great for me due to my familiarity with them (and, of course, the fact that they suit my needs) and the fact that all of the devices sync very well with each other, but I completely understand why people are put off by Apple.

Apple products are designed to be good for a few years. It's forced obsolescence, to make sure we keep buying. Again, I am I too deep... In our household there are 2 iMacs, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, 3 iPhones, two iPads, and 2 AppleTVs. And that's just what's in current use, never mind the mountain of devices that preceded these ones.

I don't think it is forced obsoleteness...rather a reflection of the exponential rate of processing power growth. Products, apps, web pages, OS updates, etc are constantly requiring greater power and memory to use, which in requires more hardware updates, which then blah blah blah. With that said, I had my iphone 4s till the 6 came up. I competently bypassed the 5/5s. The only reason I went with the 6 was because of charging issues. Which now I think was lint....

With that said...I took my iphone to the Apple store. DK you were right, the lightning port was like a dryer lint trap.

I hear you-- but literally every Apple product I have owned, over 20 years, from computers to phones to media devices-- ALL of them suddenly get really slow after a couple years of use.

Plus I'll never forgive Apple for utterly destroying Final Cut Pro.

I loved my 3GS. It was my first Apple product and it was so easy and uncomplicated. Previously I was a Nokia owner for over 10 years. I got my iPhone 3GS for a penny when the 4 version came out. It still holds it's charge and I'd have kept using it if it not for the microphone going out. This iPhone 6SE is like lightening compared to the 3GS I had but there's differences that make me sad or is taking some getting used to. I think Ender is right about the leaps and bounds that things take for updates/software/hardware so people can do what they want to do on them. I don't get the Samsung Edge products though. I like the idea of a touch screen going from one end to the other but it wasn't my bag. I look at Apple kind of like how Facebook has morphed. It's was all the rage and the cool kids liked it, then it gentrified and now it's for old people. Those squeaky wheel old people are the biggest buyers possibly of Apple products now.

I haven't had any problems with any of my cords for iPods, iPads, or iPhones, but I have gone through at least 4 power cords for my 2010 MacBook Pro and those things are 80 bucks a pop. I am going to have to replace my current one soon, too. The rubber coating keeps wearing off near the computer's plug.

Slap some heat shrink tubing on it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think it is forced obsoleteness...rather a reflection of the exponential rate of processing power growth. Products, apps, web pages, OS updates, etc are constantly requiring greater power and memory to use, which in requires more hardware updates, which then blah blah blah. With that said, I had my iphone 4s till the 6 came up. I competently bypassed the 5/5s. The only reason I went with the 6 was because of charging issues. Which now I think was lint....

With that said...I took my iphone to the Apple store. DK you were right, the lightning port was like a dryer lint trap.

Of course its built in obsolescence. Driver is right: the Cult of Apple wants your money and for you to keep coming back to the well for a new iPhone every 2-3 years. They don't want a secondary market on their products, either. That's their business model and always has been, since the first iMac and iPod, and yes, the first iPhone. They do it with their phones, and ipads, lesser degree with their computers (it's gotten better since they changed over from power pc to intel), too. But for people who don't want to muck with upgrading operating systems and hardware upgrades like you can with PCs, there is a certain logic to enforcing a strict hardware standard like Apple does with all its products, particularly their computers, to maintain a certain reputation of reliability.

• 1 month later...
Guest Williamwap

Anything under 800 basically, like the new HTC One for 739, Galaxy Note 2 for 675, Sony Xperia Z for 629 or Nokia Lumia 720 for 385

How reliable is Windows Phone 8?

I kind of swing back and forth between Google and Apple products.

Around 2012 I kind of switched over to a Nexus 7 tablet over an iPad and used an older Nexus phone instead of an iPhone. It was cool at first, but I quickly got tired of the sluggishness and unpredictability of Android at the time. It was just really unintuitive and hard to deal with as compared to iOS stuff. I'd gone back to an iPad Mini and an iPhone soon after and loved it, until I didn't. I think I dealt with the "planned obsoleteness" that Tank talks about.

I'm still loving my iPad Mini, but I'm using a Moto G now as my phone. It's allright, especially for just a $100 off contract phone. I don't try to run anything taxing on it, I do anything intensive like that on iOS on my iPad. I also recently bought my wife a cheap Samsung Chromebook, that thing is pretty awesome for what it is. For a $150 computer to be able to do around 80% of what you need is kind of a modern miracle.

But yes, I'm really sick of things being more or less useless after 12 to 18 months. I wish personal tech was more similar to video game consoles where hardware lifespans are at least five years. I hate that spending $200+ every year or so just to keep up has become a cultural norm.

I've had my tablet going on 2 years and I see no need to replace it anytime soon. Reason being is that I don't tax it like I do my phone. A lot of what people call sluggishness is attributed to the fact that they hardly ever clean their phones. Disabling apps you don't use, clearing caches, etc. For basic browsing purposes and simple apps that fixes most of the problems. Video streaming, running multiple apps at the same time, that's when problems come up. Doesn't help that newer phones with more memory and processing power makes your old phone seem ancient.

Plus we all want the next great thing. I'm replacing my phone when the Droid Turbo 3 comes out. 2 year cycle. The Turbo 2 wasn't enough of an improvement to upgrade.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.