Lazy ants prove that lazy workers are good for the workplace.

Ms. Spam

NOT FOR ME! :angry: I hates them, I do.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/28/468138647/before-you-judge-lazy-workers-consider-they-might-serve-a-purpose?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160328

"Even when observed over a long period of time, between 20 and 30 percent of ants don't do anything that you could call work," he says.

You'd think colonies with lots of bums would not thrive. But Hasegawa's study, published last month in Nature, shows that colonies with a significant percentage of do-nothing types are actually more resilient. They have a reserve workforce to replace dead or tired worker ants.
They're dead and tired because these ants are doing all the work.
There's more in the link that may make you change your mind but I still can't make it over that hump of why laziness is allowed.

I once worked for a guy who seemed like he did nothing. He'd wander around, mess with people, play pranks, talk to friends and seemingly do nothing all day.

Then, in 15 minutes he'd sit down and code what would take most good programmers a solid day to write. We were close enough that I felt comfortable asking him about it, and if he felt like he could be more effective if he sat at his desk and worked longer. He responded that he was working through problems as he was doing those things, and it helped him to not stress about it, which allowed him to do more.

Now, that isn't possible in every job, and some people are just lazy, but not all laziness is equal.

Nature is always lazy. Except it's usually called efficient.

Besides, they're ants. They don't have feelings of resentment or jealousy towards "lazier" ants. Humans have ideas about how other humans are supposed to work, but fock 'em. If I want to spend five hours reading the internet then get my three hours of work done, that's between me and my chair, not anyone else. And so far my chair doesn't care - I get my stuff done, and done well, too.

I hate lazy, but I can appreciate efficiency. I get my work done in 40 hours because I have to, and because I'm content with my salary. I work with lots of people who can't get their work done in 40 hours, because they're either inefficient (spinning their wheels) or lazy and enjoy making overtime. Then they get pissed and accuse me of not contributing because they're at work for 60 hours. Can't win.

• 3 weeks later...

In the workplace, lazy is relative. Even in an efficient team, there's going to be a weakest link. That weak link might be a superstar if surrounded by mediocrity.

Also, sometimes the appearance of efficiency can gain favor with superiors. Walkiing fast, shifting around, speaking loudly across the room (versus walking up to someone and talking at normal decibel level) are ways to give the appearance of working hard. Sometimes that's all weak bosses notice, and it's enough. I call it "showcasing." Sucks for the people who are actually good workers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.