Should I do my taxes today?

Ms. Spam

I have a few days of spring break left and have still to file taxes.

I want to mess around and see how much my penalty would be if I said I had no insurance.

I have health insurance but it kind of irks me that if you don't you pay a fine when you file for taxes. The government says it is to pay for subsidies for insurance exchanges but I can't trust them to spend my tax dollars wisely anyways. I feel I overpay to begin with for insurance as this past year has been a quiet year for health for me and I've only ever gone for checkups (updating booster shots for school - flu shots - and physical). My sister has major medical needs as she starts dialysis this month and they charged her 80 bucks for a crappy blanket in the hospital when she had a tube inserted.

She gets AZ medicaid. They actually do a good thing for her especially since she's getting home dialysis. I'm just amazed when we get the bill to see the costs broken down.

I did not do my taxes. And it did take until mid-February to get my mortgage statement.

Guest El Chalupacabra

YES. Get them done.

I've had my refund for nearly a month. Unless your finances are insanely complicated or disorganized (e.g. you have dozens of 1099s scattered in different places), I don't understand why people don't do their taxes in late January.

:confused:

This.

I like to get my taxes done and out of the way as soon as all my paperwork gets in.

As far as the healthcare-or-fine requirement, I still don't see how that is constitutional. What a bad call that one was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.