DVD, Blu-ray, or digital HD?

Destiny Skywalker

Guest Hwa_rang

I currently have pre orders from Amazon for a digital copy, Disney Store, and Target. I'm Cancelling the target one. I'll probably cancel the Amazon one too.

People way smarter than any of us made this decision. Given the money they've already made ... I think they know what they're doing.

Same people greenlit John Carter, Torrowland, The Lone Ranger, and The Good Dinosaur in the recent past. Yeah, Disney's good. But they will toss $100 million into a big pile and light it on fire about once a year.

• 3 weeks later...

By the fifth they'll make more money on the first day of DVD sales than in the theaters. Bats v Sups will have pushed it out of most theaters.

That prediction turns out to be entirely incorrect. Far from Batman and Superman bringing about the end of The Force Awakens' run, the movie instead dropped only 16 theaters and dropped only 15.5% (the second best hold of its entire run). It's still bringing in $1.5 million a week.

Oh, and on Monday and Tuesday it returned to the Top 10 for the first time in over a month.

Disney's releasing the DVD a few weeks too soon.

Yeah, I think they're releasing it at the right time. They might still get some cash from the screenings but they'd probably get a lot more from the DVD/digital downloads than they would the cinema. Plus the people who were going to the cinema to see it now aren't going to stop just because the DVD is out.

According to boxofficemojo it is in 552 theaters. Now a lot of movies remain in theaters even after their home video release. Now it's up to the theaters whether or not they keep the movie going. And I'm sure there will still be theaters showing it even after next week. I'm sure Disney isn't worried about the relative chump change it will still be pulling. Why not capitalize on home video sales now?

I'm sure Disney isn't worried about the relative chump change it will still be pulling. Why not capitalize on home video sales now?

Because you can capitalize on home video sales a month from now just as easily. If we were talking about a movie that was just limping along in a few dollar theaters, sure put out the DVD/BluRay. But it's still making the studio over a million dollars a week. Even for Disney, that's not "chump change". For most movies of this size, not only would they keep it in theaters, but this week would be a perfect time for a theater expansion to soak up another several million without expending much effort since Batman vs. Superman has essentially wiped out everyone else and there's a dead zone for new movies for the next few weeks.

I can only think that there's some marketing factor that they feel they need to get The Force Awakens out of the way before Civil War comes out or something. Why? Or that there's some quarterly report that is depending on these profits to make the stock look artificially better now instead of later. Which would just be shortsighted in general.

I think they just want to keep Star Wars out there constantly. You put the movie out on blue ray now, people talk about it. When that dies down, you release the first trailer for Rogue One. A couple months later, the 2nd trailer. Then the movie comes out. Few months later, you release the title for Episode 8, then the first trailer, then the 2nd trailer etc.

Amazon didn't ship my copy until today, despite notifying me that it would be delivered yesterday.

They like to do that. They also like to mark it delivered a day or two before it actually shows up. That way they look like they're meeting their Prime guarantees without having to actually meet it.

Amazon didn't ship my copy until today, despite notifying me that it would be delivered yesterday.

They like to do that. They also like to mark it delivered a day or two before it actually shows up. That way they look like they're meeting their Prime guarantees without having to actually meet it.

I've never had that problem, fortunately. The closest I've had was their buggery back when I was in college before Prime and they started delaying super-saver shipments when they realized I was getting them day of shipment because my campus was about 5 miles from one of their warehouses.

Someday there's going to be a trilogy pack for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and you'll all feel silly having multiple copies of the movies in your library. It's not like I've got the originals on VHS and DVD, the prequels on DVD and Blu-ray, and the entire (ha!) saga on super-special edition Blu-ray. That would be silly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.