So a movie comes out this Thursday...

Driver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Just watched this tonight because I'm slow and I'm a terrible person on a number of levels. My brain did hurt in parts, but it was still better than the last Die Hard sequel.

The structure, basic outline, and chain of events were me. And the badguys speech.

All the dialog was rewritten by Butlers guy to add lines like "Go back to ****headistan" and other such one liners.

Okay, that answers one of my immediate questions. Actually, Butler having his own rewrite guy answers a heck of a lot. Two more questions, then:

1. How different were the screenplays that you had to mash together?

2. Did Melissa Leo's character originally have any lines? If she spoke even once, I totally missed it.

Also, I love that when I went to your IMDb page tonight, thanks to the magic of their annoying giant ad wallpaper, I'm seeing you looking longingly at Meryl Streep from The Post, like the two of you have a project coming out soon.

Me and the Streep are tight!

1. Script one had the basic events, but with a lot of unneeded bits between. Script 2 they just wanted the set pieces.

2. It was a struggle to keep her character involved. In Script A there was an entire storyline where an assassin was sent after her that was really dumb, and I fought to have it cut and everyone agreed. They didn't want her storyline to be the same as the first one, but there didn't seem to be a believable way to put her in. I wrote a whole thing where he made some satellite call to her cause he didn't think he was going to make it but no one went for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.