So a movie comes out this Thursday...

Driver

Alright. Not that that had any bearing on this, but I'll try to go see it once I get the chance. If I'm not able to get out to see it this weekend, it might be a few weeks. It's been awhile since I've seen this type of movie in the theater, but I usually get a good kick out of them.

I was amused earlier when I was just searching around Amazon and saw that there will soon be a DVD 2-pack of Olympus and White House Down. I'm surprised the studios cooperated for that.

I got into the writer's guild, got first class travel and accommodations to live in London for a month, an office at Pinewood sharing a wall with Star Wars, a weekly per diem of spending cash and made the same amount of money for that month that I made all of the previous year.

So I'm good.

Oh come on. You can sell out to write one story about a mentally handicapped transgendered holocaust survivor who through his (or her, as the controversy goes!) indomitable spirit overcomes all obstacles to save the whales, can't you?

Add in a black lead actor and you'll probably win next year!!

Guest El Chalupacabra

When genre movies are no longer considered ghetto by the establishment!

Screw that, I want you to write for the upcoming Star Trek online series!

No, it's my own original thing. To get a pilot made is really hard-- you need a production company to run it, a studio to make it, and a network to pay for it.

I've got 2 of those lined up and working on the third.

Then it's still a long shot to even being picked up.

Haha-- that was the simple version I could do on my phone. Here's how it really goes:

1. You have an idea. You could write it on spec and hope somebody gets behind it, or, you can pitch the concept around and see if somebody bites and wants to help develop it. The advantages of a spec are that you have a final product for people to see-- downside is, you had to spend your own time writing it, not making money. And it's a lot easier for people to say no. If you pitch an idea, you have a lot harder of a time selling people on the deal, but if you do-- they will develop it with you, so you know how to keep them happy and get them in your corner. If your malleable, you can get a long way.

(I did the latter).

2. You need to get a production company, a studio, and a network all onboard, so you start pitching to them. The pro-co will handle the creative-- hiring writers and directors, getting a showrunner, and makes the casting decisions. The studio is responsible for the nuts and bolts production of filming episodes week to week. The network will put up the money to pay for it all and be the ones to distribute it to the world.

Again, each has advantages and disadvantages when it comes on whom to get first. A network can greenlight you on your first stop-- but unless you have a solid TV resume you won't even get in the door. A studio can help sell the show by showing how easy/cheap they can create it. A production company is going to have all the connections to get to these other parties easily-- but they are going to want to "develop" the idea, making it less yours personally, and more yours as a group.

Again, I did the latter. The idea I pitched was simple enough that I didn't mind developing it as a team with them.

3. Once you get one, you need the other two. The network buy is the hardest to snag. A studio needs to know names of talent involved to take it on, or if they originated it-- the need names TO connect to it. Production companies should have connections to the right people. Networks usually come last in the team-up. If the idea comes from them directly no pro-co or studio is dumb enough to say no. "Hey-- here's a concept and some money, make us a TV show."

(This is where I am. Pro-co and studio are aboard, we soon pitch to networks)

4. Once you have all three parties secure the network will pay you. Did you think there was money before step four? HA! If you wrote it on spec they will buy the script, if you pitched the concept, they will pay you to write it. In mini-steps you must submit a treatment/bible (in my case I had this for the pitch), an outline for the pilot, a first draft of the pilot, a second draft, and a polish. Between each of these steps will be a round of notes, usually from the network, but the pro-co and studio will have plenty to say to. At some point they will end up in contention with each other. Keep in mind at least 2-3 suits from the network, the head of the studio, the head of the pro-co (and their development VPs) will all be executive producers at this point.

5. After all this, eventually, you'll have a final draft of a pilot script. Now the network execs will read it, send it out for coverage and ask their mom/wife/brother/dog what they think. If they like it, it will pass on to the marketing department. The marketing department will test it and do market research to determine of the average TV watcher would be remotely interested. If they don't find an interest, that could likely be the end of it unless a network VP has a giant boner for it.

6. If, after all that, everyone is still aboard, they will make a pilot episode. The pro-co will find a director and cast, the studio will secure sets, locations and production staff and the network writes more checks. Every party must vet each other's decisions without wanting to kill each other.

7. The pilot is made, and it goes back to marketing again for another round of testing. They'll show it to a room full of average TV viewers (ie, idiots) who then critique it.

8. If by some miracle it doesn't die there, now it goes to upfronts-- which is when networks present pilots to advertisers and media buyers. If the show is on a regular network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc) it's pretty much all riding on advertisers buying into it. If it's a cable show, they make more of their money on subscriptions, so advertising money isn't always the first consideration. This is why cable has so much more low-budget, genre-friendly, TV shows.

9. NOW, if and only if, the pilot performs well at upfronts, then the network will give an episode order and the show will actually go into production. But they can pull the plug at any time of course.

Obviously, if you have a big TV resume you can skip some of these steps. Any idea Dick Wolfe has pretty much goes right to pilot. Sometimes something is such an obvious slam dunk early on, that a network will take a chance-- like when AMC gave a full season episode order on Walking Dead after just seeing the pilot script.

If an exec really loves something and believes in it, that can also carry you past upfronts to airing. There's a lot of variables obviously.

Just running a quick overview on how London Has Fallen is being received since Driver kinda/sorta has his hands in it. Somewhat of a mixed bag. Rotten Tomatoes has a lousy 25% Rating, but its Cinema Score is A-. It took in $21 million in its opening weekend, which is decent enough given its relatively modest $60 million price tag. I'm guessing that it's performing pretty much where they expected.

Though there's a stupid amount of money coming into and out of Hollywood that I think of $60 million as a modest budget. How a group of smart people thought Gerard Butler's other recent movie, Gods of Egypt was a wise investment for $140 million is beyond me.

Anyway, Disney's anthropomorphic animal/buddy cop/diversity messaging (man it sounds unoriginal when you break it down like that) effort Zootopia appears to be a big hit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.