2016 U.S. General Election

Pong Messiah

Ooo. So Pavonis would not be right about how the quantitative math models caused insurance companies to bet on insuring derivatives that didn't exist and mortgage companies to finance people who were stretched beyond their earning limit?

It can be traced to deregulatiion but I'd be interested in to see how that is for you, Poe.

The economic crash is a complex occurrence and is a result of many contributing factors. Chaos theory would seem to suggest that altering any one of those could create drastically different outcomes, some possibly much worse. The productive thing, rather than trying to isolate a 'cause,' may be simply to identify behaviors that the crash exposed, and just try to fix those.

Anyone trying to simplify the problem, inelegantly, into one "cause" is doing so for political finger-pointing, nothing more and nothing less.

Spam, please, just stop. Do you actually know what a derivative is? And the problem wasn't that they "didn't exist." I'm not trying to be harsh here, but it sounds awfully a lot like you picked up some buzz words and phrases from blog articles, but actually don't understand this stuff.

But hey, what do I know. It's not like I actually worked on Wall Street or anything (and to my knowledge, the only person here who has). Let's go ahead and let the random teacher from Texas who's never set foot in an investment bank illuminate us all. Please, continue.

You're not the only one though. Poe's simple declaration that the "age of Reaganomics 1981-2008 was a very strong economic era" is also just political posturing with unsophisticated (actually, a complete lack of) economic analysis. At least he's admitting that he's not read up on the topic though, which is more than I can say for you Spam.

I teach math, dumbass. I think you need to scroll your lazy drunken ass down and see where I also posted no later than four posts below that it was a mix of things that contributed to the economic fall in 2008. Just because I posted something about a dismissal of pavonis' point doesn't mean I'm a stupid. I was just curious because I thought Poe was new and could add something to his post. I could have said, tell me more and been ruder about it so someone as verbose as you could understand. However he comes back with, and I quote, "I'd have to re-educate myself in the whole complicated mess to give a non-glib answer..." So with a hearty why don't you **** off with your jerk assed attitude, I will go ahead and tell you to shove off along with all the other ***holes who decided to be just as stupid towards me.

Nope. That's the thing - I maybe a lazy poster who doesn't want to type a monograph on something but I'm not stupid - if you didn't want to expand on it I am willing to let it go. Getting called stupid though by CM just pushed me to tell them to fuck off. That's different.

Oddly the ones that support Trump the most are uneducated people who don't have college degrees. I posted that meme as a joke post as I do think the dudes face in that picture is funny. That's all that picture was about I posted but I do understand more than you people think. I'm an happy optimist and right now the GOP just seems so angry and vile and unhappy. I just don't like interacting with you people because you come off like pompous jerks. Remarkably the people I like the most and enjoy reading their posts are people who respond politely and conversationally because this is just a message board and it's in its dying stages. Why be a jerk?

Ms Spam, don't let the vile POS get to you. In all its previous loathsome incarnations on this site, it always pulls the "I'm so brilliant and you are an ignoramus" out of its ass, no matter what the topic. It's the standard operating procedure, and it reeks of a person so insecure that its one defense mechanism is "I'm smart and you're dumb,

neener neener neener!" especially when called out on something or questioned.

Oh wow. I did not expect my post to be so controversial. Spam... relax. My goodness, I did not call you stupid. In fact, I didn't call you anything, except a teacher in Texas (which is, I believe, a true statement, right?) I did suggest your understanding of the financial crisis is superficial, but that doesn't necessarily make you stupid.

Let's go back and review the posts. Poe started this chain by posting a one-line assertion about the crash. Pav responded with a one-liner, and Poe stated he didn't really feel like getting into it. That probably would've been the end of it, but then you inserted yourself and assumed a few things- a) that Poe was disagreeing with Pav's opinion outright (which he never did, in his follow up, he never states Pav is completely wrong, just that there are alternative causes to consider); b) that Pav was making arguments in his one-liner that he never did, such as about financing and derivatives- these are editorial insertions by yourself, we don't actually know what Pav is arguing on the basis of one sentence; and finally c) that Poe is dismissive of what you assert to be truth (i.e. that "deregulation" (whatever that means) caused the crash), and impliedly challenge him on that, in what I read to be a snarky tone (i.e. "this is the obviously the accepted conventional wisdom, duh").

My follow up to that was merely to point out that everyone in the chain so far (you, Pav and Poe) are approaching the problem in a wrong and unproductive way (i.e. by searching for root causes in a complex subject with no clear identifiable chain of causation). And that, if you're going to challenge someone on that point, especially by presenting yourself as an authority ("it's all deregulation.. come on, duh Poe!!!!") then, well, maybe Poe declines to go further, but before taking that tone maybe it would behoove you to be prepared to go the distance with someone who's worked the majority of their professional career in this industry. My comments were just a friendly reminder of that.

Not sure how you get me calling you "stupid" from this...

I was the only one that used the word stupid, but I also didn't call any person stupid. I stated that an action is stupid, but pretty much everybody tries to simplify things to a very basic responsibility.

Whatever. Just know that all I read was how someone who doesn't know jack about me sarcastically wrote a bunch of really crappy things that didn't add to the discussion other than to put down someone. I think you smarty-pants are clever enough to work out that all you did was make no addition to the conversation other than to denigrate me because it makes you feel better as a person. Congrats. And by all means make sure to point out how you didn't actually call me stupid by using the actual word towards me. Obviously no one wants to discuss the actual topic at hand and go into detail so you can see what my actual depth of knowledge is with that - so I'm OUTIES. You guys can move on.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, Nightly used to be a lot less lenient. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though. Things change. :shrug:

I'm not sure it's necessarily a good thing, either. A certain amount if refereeing is a good thing. AND BTW, where is Pong these days?

Yeah, Nightly used to be a lot less lenient. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though. Things change. :shrug:

I'm not sure it's necessarily a good thing, either. A certain amount if refereeing is a good thing. AND BTW, where is Pong these days?

Pong hasn't been around a lot.

I wouldn't say that we've let anyone go overboard, but I also don't think we need to be as strict as a board with hundreds of active members.

Sheeet, I remember back when the Rev and T-Square were stompin' around here making no sense at all yet claiming sole ownership of the :truth:. T-Square finally got banned which was odd because it wasn't like you could've pointed at any one of his posts and said "that's it, that's the one that went too far."

Sheeet, I remember back when the Rev and T-Square were stompin' around here making no sense at all yet claiming sole ownership of the :truth:. T-Square finally got banned which was odd because it wasn't like you could've pointed at any one of his posts and said "that's it, that's the one that went too far."

As the person that banned both of them I can say it was a cumulative effect and people had enough. Neither were permabanned but T-Square decided to take his crazy ball and leave whilst Rev threatened to sue me and murder my child so he wasn't allowed back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.