2016 U.S. General Election

Pong Messiah

Guest El Chalupacabra

Krawlie, I just like it that Sheriff Joe is going to be in hot water soon.

Anything bad that happens to him makes me happy. **** that guy.

He certainly is a scumbag of the highest order.

I blame the geezers in Sun City and the rednecks for his 23 year reign of idiocy. No one should be in office that long for anything.

Shockingly, his he may actually lose this election. With this latest contempt charge, along with the case before it, costing taxpayers over $50 million, not to mention the tens of millions he's cost the county due to lawsuits over the years, maybe people finally grew a brain stem.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2016/10/12/roberts-new-poll-shows-penzone-leading-arpaio/91950916/

Yeah, I love it. People in my family rave about how great Sheriff Joe is in his jail policies but I'm like, "he's a dick and costing more than he saves". If I lived in AZ still I wonder if I would have voted for McCain this election too because I believe in term limits. We almost moved to Casa Grande when I was a kid but instead we ended up in Marana. I have family in Glendale, Cave Creek, Tucson and Scottsdale right now. My brother married a chick who works at the nuclear facility out near Casa Grande. You can see Maricopa County Jail from the road.

In presidential topic, I can't believe that it took a old video hot mic to really get people riled about Trump.

Guest El Chalupacabra

No offense but anyone who thinks Sheriff Joe is a great guy, needs to have their head examined.

McCain is another example of someone who is long past their due date. He said that his current term was supposed to be his last, but changed his mind. Probably because the GOP didn't have a "successor" lined up. The guy is a jerk. Ann Kirkpatrick is running against him, but will lose. Not much of a big loss because she's as much a phony. Pretty much the story of AZ politics.

If you mean Palo Verde, that is not really close to Casa Grande. Casa Grande is literally the same distance away by either I8 or I10, which is about 100 miles. Palo Verde is closer to Tonopah, which is a real arm pit. It's basically a Truck stop and a dozen double wides. Maricopa County Jail isn't nearby at all, but you could be thinking about the Lewis Complex AZ State Prison. I used to have to go there when I repaired copiers another lifetime ago, because it was one of my accounts. Took forever to get in and out. Got to see some fights though, so it was interesting. Prisoners just pretty much have free reign, and the guards were lazy and couldn't be more disinterested in their jobs (IE watching my back). I always had to kneel on my toolbox when working on stuff (and keep one eye out, and be ready to throw elbows!) because there was a dozen tools that could make good shanks. God that sucked! Years later that was the prison that had 2 prisoners capture a male and female guard, a rifle and took over a tower. It was a few days before it was over and that female guard was raped repeatedly. Some evil s*** in that place.

Based on last week's polling, the presidential race has lost a lot of the intrigue for me... so I've officially turned my attention more to the Senate (which, given the Court nominations, might ultimately be more important anyway).

GOP can lose up to 3 seats and still keep their majority. Right now I got IL and WI as basically lost causes for the GOP.. which leaves only one state of wiggle room. Trouble is, there's at least 3 more that look to be in danger: IN, PA, and NH.

IN, despite being the most conservative of those states, might actually be the toughest one- Bayh is basically the perfect Democrat for a state like IN. On the other hand, you have Toomey and Ayotte in dead heats in PA and NH, respectively. Just playing the odds, you figure one of those will probably flip.

From the GOP perspective, I'm thinking you go full court press in PA and NH before IN- the polling has just been too much in Bayh's favor, who has held a small but consistent lead for months now.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Based on last week's polling, the presidential race has lost a lot of the intrigue for me... so I've officially turned my attention more to the Senate (which, given the Court nominations, might ultimately be more important anyway).

Just curious: is it because Trump will lose, or just how bad both candidates are?

I think there was a thread where you said AZ might go blue (long before this race), and while AZ is definitely really hardcore red, this time around AZ may swing Clinton. I think that speaks more to how disgusted a lot of AZ voters are with Trump, than being pro-Clinton. Point being though, if it does happen, you might have called that.

I think it will swing GOP for the senate, maybe DNC for the House.

It's because the race isn't close anymore so I've lost interest. It's like watching a game where one team is up 3 touchdowns... unless you're a diehard fan of one of the teams, why bother?

Hmmm.. I don't recall making such a prediction actually. That being said, however, I do think that in the right set of circumstances, AZ could vote Democrat. It's not a state that's outright impossible to budge like, for example, AL or WY. Those circumstances may have presented themselves in this election- we'll see. The problem is that there hasn't been a lot of polling in AZ, so it's hard to tell, but gun to my head- I'd say the GOP still takes it (though at a much narrower margin than normal- maybe 3-4 points instead of the usual 9-10).

GOP probably wins the Senate seat. Not knowledgeable enough on the house race to say either way.

No offense but anyone who thinks Sheriff Joe is a great guy, needs to have their head examined.

McCain is another example of someone who is long past their due date. He said that his current term was supposed to be his last, but changed his mind. Probably because the GOP didn't have a "successor" lined up. The guy is a jerk. Ann Kirkpatrick is running against him, but will lose. Not much of a big loss because she's as much a phony. Pretty much the story of AZ politics.

If you mean Palo Verde, that is not really close to Casa Grande. Casa Grande is literally the same distance away by either I8 or I10, which is about 100 miles. Palo Verde is closer to Tonopah, which is a real arm pit. It's basically a Truck stop and a dozen double wides. Maricopa County Jail isn't nearby at all, but you could be thinking about the Lewis Complex AZ State Prison. I used to have to go there when I repaired copiers another lifetime ago, because it was one of my accounts. Took forever to get in and out. Got to see some fights though, so it was interesting. Prisoners just pretty much have free reign, and the guards were lazy and couldn't be more disinterested in their jobs (IE watching my back). I always had to kneel on my toolbox when working on stuff (and keep one eye out, and be ready to throw elbows!) because there was a dozen tools that could make good shanks. God that sucked! Years later that was the prison that had 2 prisoners capture a male and female guard, a rifle and took over a tower. It was a few days before it was over and that female guard was raped repeatedly. Some evil s*** in that place.

OMG! You're right about locations. I had forgotten about that. It is the Palo Verde Nuclear facility. I think I got them confused because we used to pick up my grandma in Casa Grande when my Aunt didn't feel like driving all the way to Tucson from Scottsdale. We've been all over the AZ central area.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's because the race isn't close anymore so I've lost interest. It's like watching a game where one team is up 3 touchdowns... unless you're a diehard fan of one of the teams, why bother?

Hmmm.. I don't recall making such a prediction actually. That being said, however, I do think that in the right set of circumstances, AZ could vote Democrat. It's not a state that's outright impossible to budge like, for example, AL or WY. Those circumstances may have presented themselves in this election- we'll see. The problem is that there hasn't been a lot of polling in AZ, so it's hard to tell, but gun to my head- I'd say the GOP still takes it (though at a much narrower margin than normal- maybe 3-4 points instead of the usual 9-10).

GOP probably wins the Senate seat. Not knowledgeable enough on the house race to say either way.

Totally understandable, because I feel the same way. That and I dislike (maybe detest is more accurate) both candidates, so it doesn't seem like I have a stake in this, anyway.

It was a while back, and I don't remember when, or a lot about the thread itself. But that was the gist of it, and I disagreed as I recall. AZ has gone Dem before, in 1996 and it was for Bill Clinton. While I still maintain AZ is a very red state, it is more of a libertarian red, so the possibility of a rejection of Trump doesn't surprise me that much, even if by slimmest of margins. Any other GOP candidate might have a decisive edge in AZ. At the time of the previous thread, I want to say 2014 or maybe early 2015, even then Hillary was a given to run, but I never in my dreams would have thought it would have been Trump that was running. It's weird to think AZ could potentially be the state that puts Clinton over the top, depending how the other states go, and if Clinton does pull AZ.

OMG! You're right about locations. I had forgotten about that. It is the Palo Verde Nuclear facility. I think I got them confused because we used to pick up my grandma in Casa Grande when my Aunt didn't feel like driving all the way to Tucson from Scottsdale. We've been all over the AZ central area.

yeah depending on which route you took, it would be easy to get turned around. I grew up before I10 was even completed, so when we would travel, we'd take I8 to California. Which meant we would have to travel east and south, towards Casa Grande first, then head west and link up with I8.

It's weird to think AZ could potentially be the state that puts Clinton over the top, depending how the other states go, and if Clinton does pull AZ.

If Clinton does win Arizona, it won't be the state to put her over the top. She'll have already won in a landslide. It'd just be the cherry on top like Obama nabbing Indiana in 2008.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, probably. Really, on second thought, if Clinton wins every state Obama won, she already is over the top. Which she probably will, and maybe even more. I don't think the electoral votes will even be close.

It's weird to think AZ could potentially be the state that puts Clinton over the top, depending how the other states go, and if Clinton does pull AZ.

If Clinton does win Arizona, it won't be the state to put her over the top. She'll have already won in a landslide. It'd just be the cherry on top like Obama nabbing Indiana in 2008.

Yeah, basically that. AZ is unlikely to be the tipping point state- if she wins it, she's already well over 270.

I disagree with Poe, however, that Clinton needs to have already won "in a landslide" to get AZ. She would probably pick up AZ once she hits around 340 EVs or so, which is not landslide territory. AZ isn't in the same category as say, TX. If she picks up TX, then she's probably winning 400+, which does qualify as a "landslide."

A decisive win is not the same as a landslide, the last of which occurred in 1988.

There was a time back in August, fresh off the dem convention, when I thought 400 was a realistic goal for her. At this point I think her max is 375, with 350ish the most realistic. I don't think she wins Arizona, but from this election in its moving firmly into swing state territory. Iowa, New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada are almost completely part of the blue wall now.

Iowa, New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada are almost completely part of the blue wall now.

Trump was leading in all Colorado, Nevada, and Iowa literally 2 weeks ago. For all we know, he's still leading in Iowa.

New Mexico hasn't been all that competitive since 2004.

At this point I think her mad is 375, with 350ish the most realistic.

Right now, I'd put Clinton at 347.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.