2016 U.S. General Election

Pong Messiah

https://youtu.be/98AJUj-qxHI

Talking Heads man. Same as it ever was.

Not sure how you can say Trump won this one. He looked like he was a kid about to burst and I am not sure what reality he's in. Clean coal, repealing EPA restrictions and steel were the biggest facepalm ones for me. No one was swayed by this one and it's just missed opportunities. For both of them.

Clean coal, repealing EPA restrictions and steel were the biggest facepalm ones for me.

Obama administration EPA rules on coal are a very much debatable as an example of a raw exercise in regulatory overreach. The administration pretty much had a policy goal of using the EPA to cripple the industry. And Clinton basically agreed with him on the premise of the steel thing.

So I don't think either really qualify as facepalm moments.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I would tend to say you are right, but then again, people said the same about Obama.

Anyone who thought Obama would be an easy win was fooling themselves. Need proof? Notice that no one other than Romney bothered to run in 2012.

Not to say it's wasn't impossible, in fact, I think that Hurricane Sandy cost Romney the victory. But it was never going to be easy.

Not the point. A lot of people thought Obama was going to be a 1 term president. I never said anything about an easy election.

So someone at work mentioned that gerrymandering by the GOP made it harder to get Democrats elected but it also gave more power to the least desirable of the GOP extremists in their party.

That's true of both parties. More the Democrats than Republicans if you want the truth. The Republican Congress is actually fairly meek and has pretty much ceded vast powers to the Democrat president without a fight, preferring to attack their voters who wondered why they wet their pants anytime the president threatened to shut down the government and blame them for it. THAT's a good chunk of the reason Trump came to power.

I've long been advocating for a Constitutional Amendment that turned redistricting chores over to a simple computer program that ignored all data except pure population and made the districts as close to regular square-shaped as possible. You do that, and that would skyrocket the number of truly swing districts and cause Congress's membership to become much more ideologically diversified.

Unfortunately, it could never be passed because it would probably make Congress less racially diversified. Which is unfortunate because if more minorities lived in districts that were competitive instead of ideological monopolies carved that way to gain a predetermined minority majority seat, it would really help them in the long run even if there were a few less members of the Congressional Black or Hispanic Caucuses.

So someone at work mentioned that gerrymandering by the GOP made it harder to get Democrats elected but it also gave more power to the least desirable of the GOP extremists in their party.

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/05/the_gop_screwed_themselves_the_brilliant_gerrymander_that_gave_republicans_the_congress_and_created_donald_trump/

I'm pretty sure that's the article he may have read. We've had some pretty good conversations in the teachers lunch room. I think the GOP was weakened by the Tea Party. People are essentially getting sick of it all and while fiscal responsibility sounds fantastic actually voting on things we care about would be even better.

I think the GOP was weakened by the Tea Party.

There was nothing wrong with the Tea Party. It was a fairly harmless movement based on fiscal restraint. For that matter, it was a boomlet that started in 2009 and really didn't have much juice beyond the 2010 elections. Fiscal restraint hasn't been a top priority among any level of Republican activity at the national level for some time (though it got a decent foothold at the local level) and the number of politicians who describe themselves as "Tea Party" members has dropped dramatically.

It just became a bogeyman of the left and misappropriated term from some opportunists on the right that was used to incorrectly describe all right-wing conservatives like neocon was misused 10 years ago. Don't like something that's coming from the Republican camp? Blame it on the "Tea Party" whatever the heck that is.

There was nothing wrong with the Tea Party. It was a fairly harmless movement based on fiscal restraint. For that matter, it was a boomlet that started in 2009 and really didn't have much juice beyond the 2010 elections. Fiscal restraint hasn't been a top priority among any level of Republican activity at the national level for some time (though it got a decent foothold at the local level) and the number of politicians who describe themselves as "Tea Party" members has dropped dramatically.

It just became a bogeyman of the left and misappropriated term from some opportunists on the right that was used to incorrectly describe all right-wing conservatives like neocon was misused 10 years ago. Don't like something that's coming from the Republican camp? Blame it on the "Tea Party" whatever the heck that is.

If it's any consolation to you Poe, the Tea Party will be off the hook now. The alt-right is going to be the establishment's bogeyman for the next little bit.

I think the GOP was weakened by the Tea Party.

NOTHING WRONG with the TEA party? A movement of ignorance from day ONE. The USA taxes its citizens less than almost any other country and we had the lowest tax rates in decades when it started. I'd call that fatally flawed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.