2016 U.S. General Election

Pong Messiah

I want to fight with you, but I don't disagree fully. You find the very word LIBERAL to be so dirty that it throws me off.

I disagree with liberal ideology. What I find to be dirty is their tactics. Democrats consistently prefer to win not via argument. Not via the ballot box or legislation. But by shutting down debate and declaring that their side wins and nothing can be done about it ("Why are you arguing anymore?).

They try to keep their power by cutting America up into pieces, openly attacking and mocking white males as the enemy of all the rest. Trump, ironically, took advantage of that very tendency and became the equal and opposite. Both sides are deplorable in their methods.

When I saw my side employing tribalism as an electoral strategy, I walked away and said I want no part of this. What I don't understand is why Democrats don't do the same.

Poe, you and I had a few disagreements, but you are correct about current liberal ideology. I'm from a long family line that used be called "FDR Democrats" or "Kennedy Democrats"--people that were supportive of logical--I stress logical--progress that still recognized and embraced the structures of rational community--recognizing what Americans are supposed to be. That kind of Democrat no longer exists. Instead, with each new leftward movement of the past 35 years, most Democrats have mounted the very same platform of ideological extremist once exclusively held by corners of the Republicans.

The party that once spoke of a Great Society is now known as the party of the angry SJW--not because the right used and branded it as a slur...no. The left used it as a mace wielded by too many corners of the media, academia and politicians to beat--savagely--anyone who did not accept every idea, every change no matter how it trampled over others who dared to believe anything else. If that was not enough, the Democratic SJW stood over the bodies of dissenters taking a protracted, mocking piss on the bodies, daring them to rise again in the New World Order.

...and that's what happened this morning. Now, some of my colleagues (the few not on suicide watch) are somehow confused that the man they worked so hard to destroy--ended up preferable to Hillary Clinton, and her promise to carry on Obama's policies. They only have themselves to blame.

So up until today all the talk for 2020 has been what republicans are gonna run--Cruz and Kasich and others rerunning. Who are the options for the democrats? Only name I can think of is Corey Booker.

There's a lot of space right there. It will be interesting to see who fills it. I think the pool will be young and some will be from the Sanders camp.

I want to fight with you, but I don't disagree fully. You find the very word LIBERAL to be so dirty that it throws me off.

I disagree with liberal ideology. What I find to be dirty is their tactics. Democrats consistently prefer to win not via argument. Not via the ballot box or legislation. But by shutting down debate and declaring that their side wins and nothing can be done about it ("Why are you arguing anymore?).

They try to keep their power by cutting America up into pieces, openly attacking and mocking white males as the enemy of all the rest. Trump, ironically, took advantage of that very tendency and became the equal and opposite. Both sides are deplorable in their methods.

When I saw my side employing tribalism as an electoral strategy, I walked away and said I want no part of this. What I don't understand is why Democrats don't do the same.

Poe, you and I had a few disagreements, but you are correct about current liberal ideology. I'm from a long family line that used be called "FDR Democrats" or "Kennedy Democrats"--people that were supportive of logical--I stress logical--progress that still recognized and embraced the structures of rational community--recognizing what Americans are supposed to be. That kind of Democrat no longer exists. Instead, with each new leftward movement of the past 35 years, most Democrats have mounted the very same platform of ideological extremist once exclusively held by corners of the Republicans.

The party that once spoke of a Great Society is now known as the party of the angry SJW--not because the right used and branded it as a slur...no. The left used it as a mace wielded by too many corners of the media, academia and politicians to beat--savagely--anyone who did not accept every idea, every change no matter how it trampled over others who dared to believe anything else. If that was not enough, the Democratic SJW stood over the bodies of dissenters taking a protracted, mocking piss on the bodies, daring them to rise again in the New World Order.

...and that's what happened this morning. Now, some of my colleagues (the few not on suicide watch) are somehow confused that the man they worked so hard to destroy--ended up preferable to Hillary Clinton, and her promise to carry on Obama's policies. They only have themselves to blame.

This is one of the better, more concise explanations of the problem with the modern Democratic Party.

Lucas made an interesting point about Democrats on twitter. He asked if this going to push Democrats further LEFT? Tami also mentioned something about Trumps court dates that are scheduled.

While I've been labeled a Liberal here, I'm not really one. I'm centrist and really wanted Hillary to win because my status quo might remain more of the same and unchanged more so than a Trump presidency. (remember if Trump does something impeachable we have Pence as our fearless leader). The Trump win hasn't moved me one way or another as I haven't been gnashing my teeth or freaking out. I'm okay with Trump winning. It's going to be an interesting few years with some good presidential out-takes and possibly lower interest rates as I suspect we may see another recession. I'm thinking they may look into changing the number of justices that sit on the Supreme Court in Congress.

Obama invited Trump to the White House today. Seems like a nice thing to do considering Trumps history with his Dad and Obama is black.

So, what's Trump going to do to make America great again? He was always so vague in the campaign, and I'm not sure whether the "wall" on the border was literal or metaphorical. Is there something about how Trump communicates that other people understand while I don't? He's rude, dismissive, and crass, and punches down. In fact, that's the only way he can punch now, since there's no one above him to punch.

I didn't expect him to win the Republican nomination, and I didn't really expect him to win the election. So in what way am I out of touch with about 50% of the electorate? I'm educated and have a job. Does anyone expect him to actually literally do everything he talked about? Is he really going to change things in DC, or will he just become an insider? At the end of his tenure will he build a Presidential library, or is that too lefty-liberal? Maybe a Presidential amusement park, instead?

I foresee him disappointing his base, but I've been wrong too many times recently to be confident about that now. Anyway, what's Trump going to do for me?

Originally posted by Justus:

This is exactly what happened.

They watched the gays pull Gotchas on religious business owners, trying to run them out of business, rather than just changing the channel, so to speak...

They watched the SJWs in Ferguson and Baltimore use mob violence to demand arrests and convictions without due process...

They watched colleges all over the country with skyrocketing tuition costs demonize male students as sexual predators (again without due process), reject Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Association and consider arguments for racial segregation in the guise of so-called "safe places".

They watched a media that fact-checked every idiotic word that came out of Trump's mouth as it became obvious that the media was not only cheerleading for Hillary Clinton, but, as her hacked emails revealed, was actually working in cahoots with her.

And, for the past 8 years, they watched an administration led by a man who promised the most transparent administration in history: fail to fire incompetent administrators and department heads, obfuscate to get the most bloated piece of legislation passed that completely overhauled the health insurance industry and caused four-digit insurance premiums for families, cynically release information on Friday evenings in the hopes no one would notice, lie to the public about a terrorist attack in the hopes that it would not affect the President's re-election in 2012 and generally allowed this attitude to trickle down to the DOJ, the IRS, the VA and every other department that they could do what they wanted and naysayers were just ignoramuses who didn't know what was in their best interests...or racists.

I wish Trump wasn't the candidate to have sent the message, but I do understand why it happened the way it did.

I couldn't vote for him. Both parties betrayed their followers by allowing two wholly unfit candidates to run for the important office of President of the United States, but I just couldn't be responsible for putting him in office. Mrs. Clinton wouldn't have been the worst President: she's intelligent, she has experience and she has the ability. If she'd been willing to be honest, things might have been different. But the Clintons don't do that.

So I went against the Republican Party for the first time in my life. And cried all the way to work yesterday after doing it. I went to bed last night knowing it was possible for him to win, but assuming that I would wake up to obnoxious Democrats gloating over their victory. I was stunned. And cried again.

The Republican Party should never have let him run on their ticket, but the Democrats showed how "the ends justify the means" has a shatterpoint. They have only themselves to blame.

Ohhh, liberals are such bullies aren't they? Right? Societal problems such as a sex, gender, and racial discrimination, sexual assault, police brutality... these things should all be left to sort themselves out, via the establishment, in their own time. Dissent is so uncouth!

Dissent and bullying are two very different things. Democrats and liberals have been completely unwilling to dialogue or even make a case, they just shout down anyone who disagrees with them.

Which works a lot, but they tried to shout down someone who doesn't give a shit about them, and as a result they lost the election.

Guest El Chalupacabra

New game!

How much of the ridiculous things Trump wants to do will actually happen if the Senate and House are also Republican controlled? IS it the Fourth Reich? Will I get my wish for a civil ware and west coast succession?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/11/09/california-secedes-trump-wins/93528334/

I thought you were kidding until I saw that article.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Originally posted by Justus:

This is exactly what happened.

They watched the gays pull Gotchas on religious business owners, trying to run them out of business, rather than just changing the channel, so to speak...

They watched the SJWs in Ferguson and Baltimore use mob violence to demand arrests and convictions without due process...

They watched colleges all over the country with skyrocketing tuition costs demonize male students as sexual predators (again without due process), reject Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Association and consider arguments for racial segregation in the guise of so-called "safe places".

They watched a media that fact-checked every idiotic word that came out of Trump's mouth as it became obvious that the media was not only cheerleading for Hillary Clinton, but, as her hacked emails revealed, was actually working in cahoots with her.

And, for the past 8 years, they watched an administration led by a man who promised the most transparent administration in history: fail to fire incompetent administrators and department heads, obfuscate to get the most bloated piece of legislation passed that completely overhauled the health insurance industry and caused four-digit insurance premiums for families, cynically release information on Friday evenings in the hopes no one would notice, lie to the public about a terrorist attack in the hopes that it would not affect the President's re-election in 2012 and generally allowed this attitude to trickle down to the DOJ, the IRS, the VA and every other department that they could do what they wanted and naysayers were just ignoramuses who didn't know what was in their best interests...or racists.

I wish Trump wasn't the candidate to have sent the message, but I do understand why it happened the way it did.

I couldn't vote for him. Both parties betrayed their followers by allowing two wholly unfit candidates to run for the important office of President of the United States, but I just couldn't be responsible for putting him in office. Mrs. Clinton wouldn't have been the worst President: she's intelligent, she has experience and she has the ability. If she'd been willing to be honest, things might have been different. But the Clintons don't do that.

So I went against the Republican Party for the first time in my life. And cried all the way to work yesterday after doing it. I went to bed last night knowing it was possible for him to win, but assuming that I would wake up to obnoxious Democrats gloating over their victory. I was stunned. And cried again.

The Republican Party should never have let him run on their ticket, but the Democrats showed how "the ends justify the means" has a shatterpoint. They have only themselves to blame.

A very well written post.

I lean more left on social issues than right, but I can't say I disagree with you. There really was not a good choice this election cycle. Even during the primaries. I've been a registered independent for over a decade now, and this election cycle I found Trump to be a thoroughly disgusting choice. But I could't bring myself to vote for Hillary Clinton, either. Her phoniness, sense of entitlement, her abrasive personality, and dishonesty just has always turned me off to her. I'm not a libertarian, but I ended up throwing my vote away to Gary Johnson. In fact, if I didn't feel so strongly about the local elections in my area, I probably wouldn't have bothered to vote at all, which would have been a first in a presidential election for me. Clinton earned her defeat.

Likewise, the GOP deserved the candidate they got stuck with, and this country deserves the president-elect they now have. The sad thing is this was a lose-lose election no matter who got elected from the get go.

I foresee him disappointing his base, but I've been wrong too many times recently to be confident about that now. Anyway, what's Trump going to do for me?

Oh, he's going to disappoint them badly. And then more frustration that the Trump-bomb they dropped on DC didn't blow up the "status quo".

I don't think he will disappoint his base. I think he will do exactly what they want, because he can.

Apparently anything is possible. I'm struggling to understand what it is that Trump's base wants. Jobs? Manufacturing jobs will go to robots before they go to middle-aged Americans. Eject the illegal immigrants? Well, he'll have to catch them first. Good luck with that. Swing a big stick around? Well, he can do that with the Navy and Army, so why not? Where's he going to find 500,000 more soldiers to recruit, though?

Guest El Chalupacabra

So up until today all the talk for 2020 has been what republicans are gonna run--Cruz and Kasich and others rerunning. Who are the options for the democrats? Only name I can think of is Corey Booker.

Off the top of my head is Elizabeth Warren.

I just googled that, and it seems people are already talking about that. Maybe its mostly to do with Hillary's loss and she could be the next female contender to run for the Dems. She seems to be sort of like Hillary-lite without a lot of the baggage.

Had she been running instead of Hillary, I might have reluctantly voted for her, but I still remember her most for claiming to be Native American, and that is a particular sore spot for me. If she does run, especially if it is against Trump, that will definitely come up again.

I don't think he will disappoint his base. I think he will do exactly what they want, because he can.

Apparently anything is possible. I'm struggling to understand what it is that Trump's base wants. Jobs? Manufacturing jobs will go to robots before they go to middle-aged Americans. Eject the illegal immigrants? Well, he'll have to catch them first. Good luck with that. Swing a big stick around? Well, he can do that with the Navy and Army, so why not? Where's he going to find 500,000 more soldiers to recruit, though?

Yeah jobs are easy. Just fight a war and ramp up the military industrial complex and government contractors, right? Worked for about 3 years for Bush, anyway.

I don't know how Trump can "change Washington," though. All this "drain the swamp" we always hear from politicians on both sides never happens.

The polling suggests that the dems didn't have much of a turnout. This means that they either thought they had it in the bag or simply didn't want Hillary. Either way it speaks volumes as to how bad the democrats fucked this one up.

Well done.

I think Dems definitely thought they had it in the bag. Hell, I thought they had it in the bag. My Midwest family members who are die-hard Republicans voted Democrat for the first time. Don't stay home and expect everyone to take care of it for you. Unfortunately, 2 lousy candidates meant most people stayed home.

I think the real question is, can the Republicans trust him to implement their policies? So far his talk has been very pro-business.

I don't know if he'll be successful, but I am glad that he's going to get a chance. Time for something new.

If it doesn't work they'll just elect someone else. Either way we'll all have a lot to talk about over the next four years.

I think Dems definitely thought they had it in the bag. Hell, I thought they had it in the bag. My Midwest family members who are die-hard Republicans voted Democrat for the first time. Don't stay home and expect everyone to take care of it for you. Unfortunately, 2 lousy candidates meant most people stayed home.

I think the real question is, can the Republicans trust him to implement their policies? So far his talk has been very pro-business.

Honestly, I never really bought into any of his rhetoric about social issues. It pissed me off that he would say it anyway even if he didn't actually believe it, and it upset me that so many people embraced it. But I never fully believed that he himself truly believed what he was saying to get elected. I highly doubt any social issue changes are on the horizon.

Dissent and bullying are two very different things. Democrats and liberals have been completely unwilling to dialogue or even make a case, they just shout down anyone who disagrees with them.

Which works a lot, but they tried to shout down someone who doesn't give a **** about them, and as a result they lost the election.

Yeah, sorry, but I have NO time for bigots and racists. That's something I'm willing to be a bully about.

Which works a lot, but they tried to shout down someone who doesn't give a **** about them, and as a result they lost the election.

Yeah, sorry, but I have NO time for bigots and racists. That's something I'm willing to be a bully about.

There you go again. Not everyone who supported Trump is a racist or a bigot, but you're seemingly not willing to accept that.

In other words, you're the reason Hillary lost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.