And the Oscar for Best Original Score goes to......

Metropolis

John Williams Star Wars: The Force Awakens?

Since I don't care much about the Oscars this one slipped by me. My first thought was "It was solid. There are good tracks, but when I watch the movie the score gets lost." If it wins cool. I just scratch my head that this was even nominated while none prequel scores were. And if he does win it will be his first in over 20 years. And there are a lot of good movies that he has scored that haven't won.

I doubt he'll win it. Williams is perennially nominated, but rarely wins as it is (only winning once since E.T.). And The Force Awakens was oddly lost for a Star Wars score. Only Rey's theme and her WALL-E sequence at the beginning of the film really showcased the music.

Unless this is a lifetime achievement award, it doesn't seem likely.

I didn't think there was anything from that soundtrack that stood out. It was all fairly generic and forgettable. Not Williams' best work. Surprised he got the Oscar.

I don't think he did.

I didn't know it was Oscars time, shows how little I care

I think the soundtrack has plenty of parts that stand out (haven't got time to list them all), but I don't think it's outstanding overall

The piece I like least is probably March of the Resistance, and that's disappointing for me because the bombastic stuff for the heroes in a Star Wars movie is one of the things that really needs to make you feel something

*contemplates making an argument about the soundtrack's merits again, decides to just go listen to the soundtrack instead again*

I wasn't saying it sucked btw. Or that people shouldn't enjoy it. Just saying that there were HUNDREDS of movies released in 2015. All had soundtracks. Was this soundtrack among the 10 best produced out of all those?

Personally, I don't think so. Mainly because its a continuation of a series and so has to spend a lot of timing paying homage to previous films' soundtrack's. A new movie with a completely new score is more impressive to me.

*contemplates making an argument about the soundtrack's merits again, decides to just go listen to the soundtrack instead again*

I wasn't saying it sucked btw. Or that people shouldn't enjoy it. Just saying that there were HUNDREDS of movies released in 2015. All had soundtracks. Was this soundtrack among the 10 best produced out of all those?

Personally, I don't think so. Mainly because its a continuation of a series and so has to spend a lot of timing paying homage to previous films' soundtrack's. A new movie with a completely new score is more impressive to me.

The score really doesn't repeat a lot of music from the rest of the saga. Most of the music is new - which, ironically, is why a lot of hardcore fans don't like it. Williams does use some themes as callbacks, like Han and Leia's theme, the Imperial March, the Rebel fanfare, and the Force theme, but they don't last very long. They're basically used just for introductions. The most repetition is the use of the Force theme in The Jedi Steps, which has a different orchestration than before.

To me, TFA's soundtrack is sort of the opposite of those of the prequels. The latter ones worked much better in the movies than they did as albums (with perhaps the exception of the Ultimate edition of TPM). TFA's is enjoyable to listen to, for the most part, when I want to listen to music, but it didn't stand out in the movie nearly as much. I don't know if that was by design or just due to sound editing, but t does fade away way too much at certain points of the movie (for my taste, at least).

I didn't see that many movies in the past year, but since so many of them don't really have scores that are particularly interesting at all, if they even have an actual score), I don't think it was a stretch at all for it to get nominated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.