UofH professors offered these helpful tips to not get murdered.

Ms. Spam

It's open carry season in Texas and some public universities have decided young people should carry guns on campus. So teachers have been sent notices helping them to not get shot by overly sensitive students they teach:

• be careful discussing sensitive topics
  • drop certain topics from your curriculum
  • no "go there" if you sense anger
  • limit student access off hours

So how is this a win?

From what I have seen, no universities have decided that students should carry guns on campus. Instead, it is the legislature that has decided to not listen to administrators, faculty, police officers, and students and has enacted legislation forcing universities to do this.

I'm not sure but I think the University of Houston was moving slowly to make this decision to ban guns or make some sort of policy that follows the law. UTSA in San Antonio has had a lot of protests trying to the University to set a policy but as long as they're holstered fully UTSA still allows carrying I believe.

Along those lines though a lot of grocery stores and shops have banned open carry so I think these laws are superfluous.

More guns in the hands of law abiding, binge-drinking, hormone-addled young people can only be a good thing.

Though I won't lie: had this happened a few years ago, I might be a little worried. Millennials are, generally speaking, far too sensitive and narcissistic (and medicated!) to be trusted with anything that can't be bubble wrapped. But the Generation Z kids who are entering college now might be more mature and responsible. We'll see!

I don't see why schools don't require professors to carry firearms, though. Seems like a good way to keep students' attention.

:shrug:

Do you know how long it takes to get university facilities to fill a bullet hole in the wall? About a month.

Seriously, I already have serious worries about students, or staff, or faculty shooting up the campus. I'd rather invest in a Kevlar vest than a weapon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.