Returning to Abusive Relationships with Television Shows

Pong Messiah

I think you know what to do here.

Battlestar Galactica (TRS): Copper is so, so wrong. Can't recall, but I believe there were whiffs of decline during season 2.5, but it was still a great show. After the escape from New Caprica and the introduction of the Five though, it really lost its thrust. As my favorite sf show ever, was just too invested to let it go, so despite some grumbling, watched until the finale. But in retrospect, I wish I hadn't, because the final 1.5 seasons really weaken the overall impression of the show.

Weeds: contrary to popular belief, this was never a great show, though it was a lot of fun and highly entertaining. But sometime -- let's say after the fire at the end of season 3 -- it began a slow decline into less fun and entertaining. Again, contrary to popular belief, the show never became truly bad, but it did definitely reach a point where it was not worth making time to watch, outside of background noise. The lack of direction and character devolution are my biggest complaints. Nancy became more and more a caricature of the World's Worst Mom, Silas the World's Sappiest Victim, and Shane went from disturbed and somewhat sympathetic kid to Dexter protege.

The X-Files: I watched the final three seasons, even if I can't fully recall what happened -- or more importantly: why I even bothered.

Your turn omg.

I think where it is weak is in trying to work with and expand the mythology that they wore out the first time around. Where it shines are the smaller character moments where Mulder is Mulder and Scully is Scully. Those bits, and their interaction as two people who actually carry the with of everything we saw them go through-- that's good stuff.

I barely got through the first two episodes. I heard the third is okay, so I will give it another shot.

I was so excited for the new X-Files. I wish they did a long investigation that was its own thing outside of the mythology (similar to True Detective) or a monster-of-the-week. Instead we get this nonsense that is difficult for new viewers, let alone casual fans of the original show, to follow.

man ive heard so many people say that same exact thing about sg

never got into the show personally but its up there with smallville when it comes to having a legion of deflated fans who kick themselves for sticking it out until the bitter end

Smallville worked better as a binge show. It didn't show it's flaws as easily as when you have time to stop and think about.

Bailed on that one whenever Lex left and the monster dude showed up.

Hey, just cause I enjoyed it doesn't mean YOU have to enjoy it.

For me, it's really anything after season 4 of Psych. Honestly, the first two seasons are comic gold, the third has some really great episodes and after that it's just in no-good-ville. But I sure did like the few moments in each episode where Shawn and Gus would hit their stride.

Wow. I loved it throughout. After 8 seasons of the same **** I was ready for new life breathed into the series and the Ori were just that. Now Mitchell? He was ai-ite ... didn't love him, didn't hate him.

Agreed, it either needed new life or needed to be canceled. I would've been satisfied with Season 8 being the finale. The Ori was a good story line, but Richard Dean Anderson carried that series. Ben Browder was such a lousy replacement. I wish they would've skipped him entirely, put Carter in charge, and just given us Claudia Black. I also didn't care for the series finale all that much.

I'll give Lost credit for being the only show I loved, then hated and broke up with, only to lose my resolve and get back together with for what seemed like the best thing ever, only to slowly realize it hadn't changed its ways and I had to break up with it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.