Episode VIII news

The Choc

If Leia isn't already killed off in episode 8, I think Colin Trevorrow is crapping his pants right now. He's probably thinking "no matter what I do and how well I do it, either through editing or story tweaking, people are going to notice the absence of Carie Fisher and hate on it regardless. I'm screwed anyways."

Naw, people are understanding for the most part. Unless they do something crass, it's going to be fine. Mara Jade Skywalker will find some idiots on the internet to fret about, but most people realize that with Carrie Fisher gone, you need to do something. How much leeway did Furious 7 get when Paul Walker died? That was well-received.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If Leia isn't already killed off in episode 8, I think Colin Trevorrow is crapping his pants right now. He's probably thinking "no matter what I do and how well I do it, either through editing or story tweaking, people are going to notice the absence of Carie Fisher and hate on it regardless. I'm screwed anyways."

Well, I think it really depends on how important a player she is in Episode 8. If she is more or less like she was in Episode 7, I don't think it is that big a problem. In episode 7, she was basically the Mon Mothma role, which was not much more than a cameo. Everyone knows at this point that Carrie Fisher passed away, so the only fans who might complain, are the ones who are overly critical about everything anyway, and there is no pleasing them no matter what is done.

I think it is important to remember that the sequel trilogy is really Rey's, Kylo Ren's, and to a lesser extent, Finn's & Poe's story. I think even Luke Skywalker's role is going to be not much more than what Yoda's was in TESB: important, but not featured a whole lot in the film. So, I would be surprised if Leia has a major part in Episode 8 that would be hard to write and/or edit around.

Guest El Chalupacabra

According to the usual rumor sources Lucasfilm is "freaking out."

Who's that? The credible ones? Like Super shadow? Mike Zeroh?

The first thought I had when they said they were going to do new films with the old cast was that they'd be totally fucked if one of them dies. Just imagine how much worse it would be if it had been Mark Hamill.

I think I was too caught up in the suddenness of Carrie Fisher's death to think about how it might affect Episode IX (or VIII), but my preferred / imagined arcs for Luke, Leia, and Kylo would have had Leia doing some significant things in IX (despite wondering if her acting abilities were good enough for some of them).

I wish I could say that I'm entirely OK with a recasting, but a recasting that didn't work (and my idea of a successful one probably differs from lots of fans) would be worse than writing Leia out.

Well, I think it really depends on how important a player she is in Episode 8. If she is more or less like she was in Episode 7, I don't think it is that big a problem. In episode 7, she was basically the Mon Mothma role, which was not much more than a cameo. Everyone knows at this point that Carrie Fisher passed away, so the only fans who might complain, are the ones who are overly critical about everything anyway, and there is no pleasing them no matter what is done.

Good point. They will complain no matter what...after paying to watch it ten times. Not a problem for Disney at all.

She may be a minor character in this trilogy, but she certainly wasn't a minor character in the OT.

I personally wouldn't be too horribly upset, but I still don't think they could do it, especially now that Old Leia has been on screen. But then they decided to make a young Han Solo movie, despite the fact that Han wasn't that old in the OT, so who knows.

If this had happened a decade ago, they probably would have recast and everyone would be okay with it. Time passing makes these things okay in some cases (see Peter Cushing). And, of course, there are plenty of examples of younger actors taking over the roles in various prequels even when the original actor is still alive. But replacing Carrie in the middle of a Trilogy is too much to ask and would likely trample on people's innate sense of decency.

Heck, Carrie Fisher herself would probably be okay with a recast even if it happened today and would probably make fun of it. No one was more attuned to the craziness of Hollywood than she was. A large part of her shtick was spent mocking the pocket reality that they live in.

Though, I do think there's a strong possibility that the business is what ended up killing her. Carrie made no secret that she lost weight in order to come back for The Force Awakens. She probably lost weight again to get herself ready for Episode VIII. Yo-yo dieting is bad for the heart, and it's no secret that Carrie had already abused her body pretty well in her youth. It could well be that the stress she put on her body to make herself look okay for these movies pushed her heart over the edge.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Recasting Leia would go over like a lead balloon at this point. It likely wouldn't have been accepted if they had recast Leia prior to Episode 7, either. I wouldn't want to see a recast, personally. I would be okay with it if they have enough footage, use body doubles, and maybe CGI (if used sparingly and not to the extent they did Tarkin in Rogue One) to depict Leia in Episode 9 that way. But if that is not an option for whatever reason, then I think the best way to handle Leia at this point is to kill off or write out the character in a tasteful way in Episode 8 through editing and if necessary reshoots with other characters, assuming Leia's death wasn't already planned for Episode 8. If Episode 8 ends in a way that expands the roll of Leia where we are expecting her to be a major player in Episode 9, then I personally think the best way to end the Leia story is do a time jump in between Episode 8 and 9, and kill off or write out Leia off screen, and create a new or use an existing character that can fill the same or similar role.

Though, I do think there's a strong possibility that the business is what ended up killing her. Carrie made no secret that she lost weight in order to come back for The Force Awakens. She probably lost weight again to get herself ready for Episode VIII. Yo-yo dieting is bad for the heart, and it's no secret that Carrie had already abused her body pretty well in her youth. It could well be that the stress she put on her body to make herself look okay for these movies pushed her heart over the edge.

I am sure her lifestyle had a lot to do with Carrie Fisher's death, but people have heart attacks at any age. The unfortunate thing is that Carrie Fisher may have had a good chance of surviving had it not been for the fact that she was on an airliner at the time of her heart attack. That is almost as much of a freak death as what happened to Anton Yelchin.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It will be a shame, to me, if Leia doesn't brandish a saber.

I really want/wanted to see that.

I don't know if Carrie Fisher would have been able to do that at her age very well.

Personally, I kind of felt that wasn't her path. What I would have liked to see is Leia established as a master strategist by tapping into the force. It has been established on screen that Leia was a natural leader, as well as had some force ability by sensing Luke's need for help in TESB, having had memories of her mother and Luke was alright after Death Star II blew up, and sensing Han Solo was killed. Maybe either instinctively, or consciously, she could counter enemy strategy by using the force, but with the loss of Han Solo, maybe she loses that ability because her grief blocks it. That could be a good out to explain her death: she doesn't see it coming.

Ultimately why does anyone care about Leia? Minor character at best. I personally wouldn't care if the role was recast.

She really didn't do anything in Force Awakens. I don't really have any curiosity about where the character goes at this point.

re: Lightsaber, nah... I did want to see her using the force just a little though, geez. Luke and Kenobi were warriors, fine. Yoda was a monk, or at least he was at that point in his long life. Leia's a diplomat. I didn't/don't need to see either one in lightsaber combat.

Ultimately why does anyone care about Leia? Minor character at best. I personally wouldn't care if the role was recast.

She really didn't do anything in Force Awakens. I don't really have any curiosity about where the character goes at this point.

I mean, she is the mother of the film's villain. That's kind of important. Especially after the son killing the father.

She might be a minor character in this trilogy but she is not a minor character in Star Wars.

as far as the stories to come are concerned, she's about as important as Shmi Skywalker and Mon Mothma combined. Yes she's legendary, and her tragic death is never going to change that. But at this stage in the story Leia's character is not that integral for the movies to come. Her role can be replaced/written down/CGI'ed/changed completely. That's not to say her absence won't be noticed however. So I think they need to tread carefully with their decision making concerning her.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.