Episode VIII news

The Choc

That's not as bad as Amos and Andrew, the one where the shark magically saw him outside the water despite the fact they need water vibrations to locate prey ... one of the dumbest cinematic deaths ever, Snakes on a Plane, the last couple Tarentino movies he was in, ... I could go on. He's the new Christopher Walken for doing anything.

Hey, now. Let's leave Snakes on a Plane out of this. That movie led to two fantastic theater experiences for me. Opening night at midnight for it was pretty awesome as was seeing it with a bunch of friends in college in an otherwise empty theater.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think the opening of VIII might be the Kylo's shuttle launching from the Finalizer at Planet Snoke (similar to ROTJ), but I really want to return to Luke and Rey as they were as the end of TFA

I hope Episode 8 picks up where 7 left off, and then once that opening scene ends, they jump ahead by a year or two, with Rey and Kylo Ren both wrapping up their training and then go into the main story.

Already know she that what she needs.

Besides, she figured out the Jedi mind trick while falling out of bed. With a few more experience points, she should reach Jedi level 42 where she learns force wave, force stasis, force explodet and group heal. Ren, Snoke, and Del Toro will be no match for the battle-hardened Trade feder...I mean Rey.

Like I was saying, everybody apparently needs training completion in this joint. The words "complete" and "training" are as common in this franchise as "bad feeling"

That's why I think too much is being made of the line about Ben needing to complete his training. It was just a franchise copy/paste line.

Ya know it's funny. Growing up watching ESB, when Yoda said "he is...too old...yes. Too old to begin a-training" I always figured Yoda was just trying to find any excuse to not train Luke because he thought it was a bad idea. If you like them, you train them. If you don't, you send them away. He was spitballing reasons at Ben, not quoting official Jedi training requisites, policies, and procedures. At the time, I think that was the idea. Now...it's on page 19, paragraph C of the offiical Jedi training Handbook: "thou must be an infant to be considered for Jedi training, as to allow for easier brainwashing and kook-aid drinking."

Also they NEED to keep the continuity of the opening shots. They screwed up with the end of TFA. The beginning, I think, the was the best opening shot of all 7 movies

Naw, A New Hope has that covered forever. There's a gap, then Revenge of the Sith. Then another gap followed by take your choice.

Personally, I assume that this is either old footage spliced with a new shot of the crew after the first take. Or they shot a quick scene just for this teaser before getting on with the real day's work.

I think the opening shot of rots is overrated. You can't tell what's what, who's who, and the two jedi are barrel-rolling around for the sole purpose of showing off the light show. In fact, everything that happens before the Dooku fight is useless, with the exception of the lines "this is where the fun begins!" and "Ohh dear..."

-Buzz droid rockets instead of just regular explodey-blow-something-up rockets? Dumb idea

-"Well have you noticed the shields are still up?!" hey Obi-wan, your gun works too, ya know. Anakin was busy saving your ass.

-besides...why is the thingy to keep the shield working on the OUTSIDE, and if the shield is UP, how do you damage it?

The war drums and the peaceful view of the proto-Star Destroyer building into the aggressive Force Theme as the fighters work their way around to the other side of the ship and sudden reveal of a panoramic battle in full bloom was a beautiful and effective shot. Maybe the most epic single space battle moment in the whole series (only a few shots in Return of the Jedi can compete). It's not really necessary in that moment to know which side is which. The idea behind the scene is that the audience (and those two fighters) have walked in on chaos.

Anyway, are we really going to get nit-picky on less than logical Star Wars war machines (AT-ATs anyone?) or weak points (choose your Death Star)? Also, Obi-Wan's ship was kinda busted by that point.

Guest El Chalupacabra

AT-ATs and AT-STs are awesome.Period. End of story. It's just too bad the Empire didn't consult Boston Dynamics when designing their walkers. Could have save them a trip, literally!

...or the Trade Federation with their battle droids for that matter.

• 9 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.