Episode VIII news

The Choc

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I'm wondering is if it's possible that Carrie Fisher's death could keep Luke alive past Episode VIII, if he were scheduled to die. So let's just go on that assumption that Luke was going to die in VIII.

Basically I'm thinking this, what if Kylo was supposed to kill Luke in VIII and then in IX there were going to be scenes between him and Leia where he either is redeemed or struggles with it before staying evil? Could they switch that up? Have Leia killed in VIII, Luke survives and then Luke takes over the role of trying to lure Kylo back in IX?

Obviously nothing like this has to happen but it seems plausible and if there was supposed to be some heartfelt type scenes between Kylo and someone close to him in IX it feels like Luke is the only option with Carrie dying.

So it's obviously not ideal, but where would you all stand on recasting the part? Is it better to potentially blow up the story arc (if indeed Leia was a significant enough part of it) just to avoid the awkwardness of asking audiences to accept an actress switch?

I mean, this comparison isn't great because there isn't the history, but Terrence Howard -> Don Cheadle was no problem for people.

Or would you rather just have a "General Organa died in an explosion" line?

(I hate that I have to point out that I am not literally suggesting that line of dialogue or that it would even be one single line of dialogue, but I fear I have to).

Hard to say without know what her exact role is in IX.

If there is a just a strong leader role with a lot of face time, why not establish a new character?

If it some very Leia-specific moments, like a mother/son moment with Kylo, I don't know. I wouldn't like a recasting.

I personally loved Leia and Tarkin in R1 and thought they looked great, save for the eyes. Leia was spot on until she looked up and we saw her uncanny valley eyes. Maybe they could recycle her performances from unused bits of TFA and VIII to craft a new performance.

Personally, I'd killer her between films, and have IX open on the fall out from said traumatic event and sneak in a hologram message from her in the first act that sets things into motion.

Again-- it's really hard to say what they should do without knowing what her role in the movie is.

I don't think that recasting is an option. This is one of the most iconic roles of all time, and there really isn't much of a comparison.

Look at the fan tributes when she died. She wasn't a real person, just Princess Leia. So, yeah, I think that the only way to handle it is to have her killed or just write it so that it makes sense that she's not in it.

I really don't have an opinion because it's all too hard to think about. I just have to trust that Lucasfilm will make the right decision for the story while also honoring Carrie's memory. I am so glad I'm not one of the people who have to make this decision. Nothing they do will be 100% accepted. Nothing they do will make anyone say "thank God the movie happened this way". The whole situation sucks.

Yeah I'm resigned to it. What's unfortunate (like, only in this context, it obviously goes way beyond Star Wars) is that it'll hover over whatever they do. Whatever they choose you'll go "oh yeah, because Carrie is dead." That will hang over the movie. Because you're going to know why Leia was written out or killed or being portrayed by someone you've never seen before.

For the same reasons, I'll find it pretty hard to be "mad" about whatever is decided.

I've seen a bunch of fans already laying down lines in the sand like "they cannot write Leia out of the story," "they cannot use CGI," "they cannot recast."

It's so frustrating. The people ultimately making the decision have to do so from a business and storytelling standpoint, but they're also still mourning Carrie's loss.

As long as her family is okay with what is done, I'm okay with it.

I've seen a bunch of fans already laying down lines in the sand like "they cannot write Leia out of the story," "they cannot use CGI," "they cannot recast."

Surely those are different groups saying each of those things. Surely...unless some crazed fans expect Disney and Lucasfilm to clone Carrie Fisher?

Could have her on a ship that is blown up, something like that. Then either as I said reshoot so Luke survives (that is if he doesn't as of now) and give him any emotional scenes with Kylo that Leia would have had. Or just have Kylo struggle with what he's done in his padded room some more in lieu of Leia.

They can have Leia die in the opening crawl of IX. That would solve the problen

Could have her on a ship that is blown up, something like that. Then either as I said reshoot so Luke survives (that is if he doesn't as of now) and give him any emotional scenes with Kylo that Leia would have had. Or just have Kylo struggle with what he's done in his padded room some more in lieu of Leia.

Why you assuming Luke dies?

One thing I'm wondering is if it's possible that Carrie Fisher's death could keep Luke alive past Episode VIII, if he were scheduled to die. So let's just go on that assumption that Luke was going to die in VIII.

That's something I was thinking myself. If they intended to kill off Luke in this next movie, that would be it for the original cast. Outside of Ghost Luke, only Chewbacca and the droids would be left.

You really need to get off the internet. You'll be so much happier.

For what it's worth, though, outside of maybe a stand-in, I can't imagine them going with a replacement actress or a full-time CGI actress. I really don't think they'll want the heat from that. I'm pretty sure Leia is either killed off in Episode VIII or IX. Hopefully, it will all turn out that they already planned to kill her off and her harrowing death scene has already been filmed and we'll all be crying in December. But that would be too much to ask I think.

I personally loved Leia and Tarkin in R1 and thought they looked great, save for the eyes. Leia was spot on until she looked up and we saw her uncanny valley eyes.

I really don't get why they used CGI instead of the stand-in actors' eyes.

BTW, I thought it was really cool that they found an old cast of Cushing's face they made for Top Secret! and made use of it for Rogue One.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Personally, I am hoping that there is enough footage between Episode 7 & 8 of Leia (including cut footage) has been shot and through the use of creative editing and body doubles, they can let Leia appear in Episode 9, and they won't have to kill her off. Or at least said footage can give her a proper death.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.