The Movie Poll: Comedy

Ms. Spam

Airplane!

Galaxy Quest

Ghostbusters

The Naked Gun

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

That last slot could go to any number of movies with lots of funny lines that aren't solely identified as comedies -- e.g., The Princess Bride.

Honorable mentions to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the original Vacation, and Clerks.

OMG! the internet works!

I was going to post more but when I went back to add it I got a Driver Error.

I've always been heavy heavy heavy on the slapstick comedies

My top five:

Blazing Saddles - it out does History of the World Part I or Young Frankenstein for me in larfs. Mel Brooks has a huge repetiore of great funny movies as the Producers is awesome too. I think Blazing Saddles is the cream of them simply because the hero is a black dude which had some humor that would be considered not PC now and it mocks Westerns so mercilessly.

Tangentally that brings me to my other favorite - Silver Streak. Richard Pryor was awesome in this. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor would go on to make another movie called Stir Crazy that was funny too.

Airplane! is another one I love so much. I can still laugh every time. All Abrahams/Zucker comedy fests seem to have an exclamation point as Top Secret had great HAHA's too.

For Steve Martin, while the Jerk was fantastic I will always love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. The Man with Two Brains and All of Me are also pretty good but Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was just plain fun.

Monty Python's Holy Grail is my favorite of theirs. Life of Brian (and by extension Brazil and Time Bandits as well as a Fish Called Wanda) are fantastic too.

I really have a hard time understanding Adam Sandler comedy. While Happy Gilmore was funny it seemed all his movies became the same thing.

Guaranteed to make me laugh every time? Nothing. Gut busting? I can think of only a couple movies that ever got me to that level, and they really don't stand up that well (I'm looking at you, Anchorman).

But comedies that I love and are my top 5 and I'll almost always watch them:

Clue

Blazing Saddles

Better Off Dead

Johnny Dangerously

Office Space

In no particular order:

Zoolander

The Other Guys

Holy Grail/Life of Brian

21/22 Jump Street

Up in Smoke

Almost all of that list surprises me, but I like the fact that it does. So many lists are so similar.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Top 5

Airplane

The Big Lewbowski

The Jerk

Ghostbusters

The Blues Brothers

Runner's up

Spaceballs

Austin powers

Wayne's World

Sideways

Can't believe no one has said Big Trouble in Little China.

Honestly, I think the issue is that movie just kinda transcends... everything.

Everybody loves it, but it is comedy? Action? Urban fantasy? Dumb '80s flick?

Dude. Goldie Hawn rubbed off on Kurt. He was fantastic in Big Trouble in Little China.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.