Scalia DEAD

Pong Messiah

if hillary clinton becomes president im sure the republicans will hate her supreme court appointee too but its a lot harder to run interference against an incoming president than a lame duck

to do it the entire year like the republicans say they are going to do is unprecedented but they are gonna do their best to sit on obamas appointee until the clock runs out

in your scenario once clinton takes office there will still be grumbling but unless she picks somebody like jedi master yo gurt the appointment should be relatively drama free

Guest El Chalupacabra

the funnest supreme court justice just died

bummer

:no:

We should have had a supreme court dead pool, because I was sure Ruth Bader Ginsburg would have been the first to croak.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, good luck with that, Obama.

:lol:

Yeah, if Obama nominated Whitey McWhiterson, former Governor of Alabama and former independent council on Whitewater, who was the love child of Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell, valedictorian of David Duke University Law School in Louisiana, was a card carrying member of the NRA, John Birch Society, the ADF, and the Tea Party, was a proponent of the 1% flat tax for anyone making over $1 million per year, announced that he was going to dismantle the Great Wall of China and have it reassembled on the US Mexican border by the labor of the entire African American population in the US and make Russia, China, the entire Middle East, and any Spanish-speaking country pay for it, wanted to declare gay marriage, Obama care, Islam, and gays in the military unconstitutional, deport all gays to Canada, and was once a guest star on Leave it to Beaver as a child, the Republicans still would not confirm him!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Nah, no upside to go out of office in his last year with a compromise. My guess is he is going to do the opposite and nominate someone who is as far left as possible, and is a "first" for their background. Like a first Asian, or first Native American, a first gay/lesbian, a first Muslim, or something very progressive like that. Then, when it is shot down, it can be used by either Clinton or Sanders to point to throughout the election as how backward the GOP is. Depending on political pressure, the GOP may either dig in, or accept Obama's #2 choice, which is, of course, Obama's real choice. Either way, Obama wins.

US Senator Elizabeth Warren:

The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.

Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.
Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."
Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk

Yeah, if Obama nominated Whitey McWhiterson, former Governor of Alabama and former independent council on Whitewater, who was the love child of Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell, valedictorian of David Duke University Law School in Louisiana, was a card carrying member of the NRA, John Birch Society, the ADF, and the Tea Party, was a proponent of the 1% flat tax for anyone making over $1 million per year, announced that he was going to dismantle the Great Wall of China and have it reassembled on the US Mexican border by the labor of the entire African American population in the US and make Russia, China, the entire Middle East, and any Spanish-speaking country pay for it, wanted to declare gay marriage, Obama care, Islam, and gays in the military unconstitutional, deport all gays to Canada, and was once a guest star on Leave it to Beaver as a child, the Republicans still would not confirm him!

Sometimes, there is truth in extremes / joking.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sometimes, there is truth in extremes / joking.

Well, I called it....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/mitch-mcconnell-antonin-scalia-supreme-court-nomination-219248

Nah, no upside to go out of office in his last year with a compromise. My guess is he is going to do the opposite and nominate someone who is as far left as possible, and is a "first" for their background. Like a first Asian, or first Native American, a first gay/lesbian, a first Muslim, or something very progressive like that. Then, when it is shot down, it can be used by either Clinton or Sanders to point to throughout the election as how backward the GOP is. Depending on political pressure, the GOP may either dig in, or accept Obama's #2 choice, which is, of course, Obama's real choice. Either way, Obama wins.

These. The name of the game is to manufacture controversy and turn the whole dog-and-pony show into an endless media circus, and drag it out as long as possible. Whatever it takes to keep subscription and viewership levels high.

whatevs

he was bar none my favorite current supreme court justice

thomas is ok though its mostly the reactions of progressive that make him entertaining and the fact that his first name is clarence but he is fairly short to put it mildly when it comes to using his words

ginsburg is good too but its more about her as an interesting and likable person since i disagree with her philosophically on just about everything plus the little cult of personality that has begun to swirl around her is icky

i was talking to somebody the other day about how there was nothing that could make me vote gop in the presidential election this year but if it is somebody i dont completely despise or fear like kasich scalias death would definitely weight heavily on my mind when making the final decision

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.