The Ren getting PWNED problem

Metropolis

I need a Luke duel (likely). I also need him in an X-wing cockpit again (not as likely). I'll accept him flying any ship.

I've stared at Luke's waist (shut up) every time I've watched the movie to see if you can see his lightsaber (SHUT UP), but if he's wearing one, it's covered by the cloak. I definitely want him to be using the same lightsaber from RotJ.

I'd like that too, and now I'm thinking about a follow on from the scene at the end of TFA where Luke has that lightsabre and activates it whilst subtly hinting (in a non-threatening way, obviously) that she should keep the one she has and activate it too, and they gently spar for a bit with lots of non-verbal "don't be afraid" from Luke (and crane shots of them sparring to annoy Poe) as an ice-breaker before the (positive) emotion of it all overwhelms them and they start talking

I don't know if it would work from a filmmaking POV, but it's a nice thing to imagine

I hope Luke still uses his green and not Anakin's old saber. That one has passed to Rey.

The green saber was so badass. I get the point of making the old one a plot point in TFA, but I'm with you on the green one. I love the thought of Luke staring down Ren and then firing up the green saber. Sooooo much better than the blue.

Imagine him firing up the blue, staring him down, then losing it during combat, only to fire up the green.

Either way seeing Luke with a saber is gonna be the coolest movie experience any of us have had in years.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I need a Luke duel (likely). I also need him in an X-wing cockpit again (not as likely). I'll accept him flying any ship.

I've stared at Luke's waist (shut up) every time I've watched the movie to see if you can see his lightsaber (SHUT UP), but if he's wearing one, it's covered by the cloak. I definitely want him to be using the same lightsaber from RotJ.

Maybe we will see Luke in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon?

It will awesome to see Luke in a saber duel again, but I personally want to see his mastery of the force, too. I'd like to see Kylo or Snoke challenge him, and Luke whips out some force powers we've never seen before and The Force Unleashed-style.

He could walk down to the Falcon and lift it using the Force and that would be really cool because it would show that he is more powerful than Yoda and it would reference or mirror or invert or whatever something in the OT and that would be really cool because referencing or mirroring or inverting or whatevering things in other movies is the pinnacle of intellectual sophistication or something

I don't have a problem with it at all. It was a unique fight because neither participant was fully trained, whereas every other fight had at least one person who was considered a total badass.

All of this is going to be part of Ren's transformation into a complete monster, so I think things will work out just fine.

The problem is that Ren is trained--and has years of it. Rey has no training. It would be the same, unlikely situation if ANH Luke faced AOTC Anakin--and won. No one would buy it, despite the fact Luke (at least) was a new student.

I don't have a problem with it at all. It was a unique fight because neither participant was fully trained, whereas every other fight had at least one person who was considered a total badass.

All of this is going to be part of Ren's transformation into a complete monster, so I think things will work out just fine.

The problem is that Ren is trained--and has years of it. Rey has no training. It would be the same, unlikely situation if ANH Luke faced AOTC Anakin--and won. No one would buy it, despite the fact Luke (at least) was a new student.

If this is the case, then why does Snoke require that his training be completed?

Comparing an incompletely trained Ren to the Chosen One isn't what I'd call a fair comparison.

If this is the case, then why does Snoke require that his training be completed?

Comparing an incompletely trained Ren to the Chosen One isn't what I'd call a fair comparison.

AOTC Anakin was nowhere near whatever his Chosen One level was supposed to be--that was a point hammered in AOTC with Anakin's bloated ego, so he is a fair comparison to Ren. Like AOTC Anakin, Ren had years of training, but was not "top level" yet. But even at his TFA level, there's no way he should lose any fight with a completely untrained person, hence the comparison between Rey and ANH Luke.

Honestly, would you have bought that version of Luke defeating AOTC Anakin?

We are one third into a new trilogy. I've covered this idea before. It could be revealed that she is light years, so to speak, beyond what she should be. It could be revealed that she is on par with Anakin in terms of how gifted she is. Luke may tell her she is more powerful than he ever was.

"A prophecy that misread, could have been."

Perhaps they did. Maybe Anakin was simply meant to be the beginning of the strong line of force users that would, in conjunction over time, bring balance to the force.

Or maybe she's not overly powerful or skilled, and Ben was holding back either because he wanted to recruit her (and couldn't do so if she were dead) or for reasons yet to be revealed.

It's all still wide open and anything could be revealed.

It's super simple: every generation of Skywalker is more powerful than the last. If people stop using Luke as a benchmark to power, Rey makes perfect sense. You just have to recognize she has the potential to be more powerful than him.

Each Skywalker, in their trilogy, is the new bestest Jedi.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Or maybe it's simpler than that: good Skywalkers are stronger than evil Skywalkers, because in the end, the dark side is ultimately weaker. Yoda wasn't lying when he said the dark side isn't stronger, just quicker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.