I had a Star Wars marathon recently and...

Quetzalcoatl

Guest El Chalupacabra

There was news that the just schedule a movie after IX, but no word of what it was.

R1 is getting around the no-jedi thing by having a guy who is a follower of the force, but has no powers. Like a regular monk instead of a warrior monk. I think that's actually really cool.

I agree, it is an interesting concept.

1. I know being uber obstinate is your thing, but to point one, you're once again being reductive. I'm not stupid. You're intentionally repeating back exactly what I'm not saying. You're attempting to disarm my point by acting like I haven't made it. I've repeatedly explained a dozen times in this thread what I think and you're selectively ignoring it and restating the wrong interpretation to piss me off.

2. On the second point, you're just wrong. From Kasdan and Abrams mouths, they are doing exactly what I said. Luke is a catalyst like Kurtz. Details and execution are obviously different, but the idea is the same-- a mythic figure is the catalyst for a journey that leads to a change in the self.

3. But hey... What do I know about movies.

I've only spent the last decade of my life studying them to death, almost went bankrupt, and ruined my first marriage to finally become a professional screenwriter a year before I turned forty.

I try not to throw that around. I never tell people they are wrong for disliking a movie and that my opinion is worth more as somebody in the industry. I know it's subjectional. But when it comes to nuts and bolts, when it comes to the construction and narrative intent-- never mind that I'm quoting the guys actually wrote the script-- maybe, just maybe you're wrong?

This is my job. I know what I'm talking about. I hate how pompous that makes me sound-- and again, I'd never toss that out as a reason to tell somebody they are wrong for disliking a movie.

4. I'm not stupid, Justus.

I see exactly how you try to use wordplay and selective responses to try and make people look dumb. You're not as clever as you think you are. You're nightly's Glenn Beck with you reductive responses.

But that doesn't matter to you-- here's all you want to hear... something I've never said-- not to tsquare, POE, Kwan Yu, Rev or anyone else. .. you win.

5. You actually got to me. Congrats on getting under my skin by being so ****ing dismissive of everything I say without for one second considering the possibility that you might ever be wrong about something, or that just maybe somebody might know something you don't.

Sometimes our sparring is good natured and fun, but when we get into the fact you, some disembodied voice on the internet that is clearly a miserable curmudgeon, actually gets to me by needling away at the one thing I'm good at? Yeah, **** you. It's not fun any more. You win, welcome to the ignore list.

1. Apparently, you have not read your history of posts in the Lyceum, where your myopic hate of anyone / anything not on your side of the ideological landscape essentially turns your targets into some combination of Branch Davidians & Third Reich members.

2. Kasdan and Abrams say that, yet it does not register in the film.

3. So that means what? I've worked in journalism almost as long as you've been on this earth, but not for a second would I be so arrogant to assume my wealth of experience means someone not in my business would be incapable of knowing/making a relevant point about a problem in a story or the overall business. It happens, and helps improve legitimate journalism.

But I suppose your position ultimately means all of those movie goers who thought the Prequels were crap or flawed should just shut up and buy everything Lucas and McCallum said, because they are the only individuals in the position to know what works and what does not.

4. You're taking a defensive position when no one is assuming or treating you as if you are stupid, or playing a game. On the other hand, if you believe uncouth, inapplicable posts about members in this thread help your position, have at it, as its obviously avoiding the point of discussion in favor of hard selling a film.

Funny, for such a strong Donald Trump hater, you are using his dodge and character stab tactics like a prized student.

5. This is same shit you've done with many members throughout this board's history, so the "I'm so innocent" routine is just that--a routine that stands in contrast to your own hardline positions on film, politics--anything. You're so busy claiming others ignore your points, that you...ignore the points of others, or pull the ego-driven nonsense listed above. You're too damn old to behave in this way, or live and die by a difference of opinion.

It looks as though the ignore function isn't working. I wasn't fancying reading your response because I'd feel compelled to reply.

So as not to derail this thread any further, I'll try to be brief.

First, I think you often misconstrue my tone in the Lyceum and miss when I am being sarcastic or glib, and you interpret it as angry pretension.

Second, you are wrong about how I value my own opinion, and I can point out proof of this. Look at the exchanges in the 2016 election thread between myself and Poe. He and I have fought about EVERYTHING this site can bring up-- and yet, I have no trouble admitting when I realize he is right about something. If I had an online nemesis it would be him, but I frequently concede when he is clearly right, no matter how much I disagree. The person you are describing me as would never do that.

Finally, if I had some sort of machine that measured irony, your posts would have likely made it explode. The things you just accused me of, the way you say I act, these things are YOU in so many ways it's hilarious that you don't see it.

I may be pompous and have strong opinions at times, and sure, I may lose my cool on occasion-- but the three things I am not, are seemingly infallible, humorless and mean-spirited. And those happen to be the three qualities I most associate with your posts.

Man, if the ignore function isn't working, that ruins my grand plan to follow Justus around quoting him so that Seth would still see his posts. Then anytime he saw me post, he'd have to wonder if he would get Justus or puns when he clicked on the thread.

1. First, I think you often misconstrue my tone in the Lyceum and miss when I am being sarcastic or glib, and you interpret it as angry pretension.

2. Second, you are wrong about how I value my own opinion, and I can point out proof of this. Look at the exchanges in the 2016 election thread between myself and Poe. He and I have fought about EVERYTHING this site can bring up-- and yet, I have no trouble admitting when I realize he is right about something. If I had an online nemesis it would be him, but I frequently concede when he is clearly right, no matter how much I disagree. The person you are describing me as would never do that.

3. Finally, if I had some sort of machine that measured irony, your posts would have likely made it explode. The things you just accused me of, the way you say I act, these things are YOU in so many ways it's hilarious that you don't see it.

I may be pompous and have strong opinions at times, and sure, I may lose my cool on occasion-- but the three things I am not, are seemingly infallible, humorless and mean-spirited. And those happen to be the three qualities I most associate with your posts.

1. There's a significant difference between what you're passing off as your shtick-- and your history of hostility, particularly when discussing Christians, and that was your thing before the REV era.

2. See, the thing about a concession is that it is meaningless when you so still hold firm to the ideas that fueled the conflict. I would not stretch the truth to say you have not given an inch on your core hang-ups (expressed at Nightly) usually leading to your battles with the Poes of the board.

3. Hardly. unlike some, I do not use my knowledge/experience to dismiss or dress down the opinions of others in posts or topics if they happen to be related to my profession. At the end of the day, if I know someone is posting something lacking even a casual relationship to the truth, I do not drop in from On High trying to create a climate of submission & silence. I don't live for that fractured ego / Limbaugh-ian shit. Its just a message board.

Finally, the idea of being humorless seems to soar over your head, since there's not much humor flowing from you during one of your ideological stab sessions against parts of culture you believe are unworthy of...anything.

Did I say you were humorless? I take it back. Cause what you just posted is hilarious. You could not be more wrong about me, but given the fact that you have yet to, in over 15 years of posting here, ever once considered your own opinion anything other than golden, I'm perfectly fine letting you think whatever you want. Have fun on your path to being the biggest curmudgeon and miserable soul I've ever encountered online.

And just for funsies:

1. There's a significant difference between what you're passing off as your shtick-- and your history of hostility, particularly when discussing Christians, and that was your thing before the REV era.

Christians who post on this board that I am friends with and whom I have never insulted (outside of jest):

Destiny Skywalker

Number Six

Jedi Cool

Darth Krawlie

--to name a few. All of them I am friends with on social media and I have no problem with them knowing my real name, where I live, or to see pics of my kid. So yes, OBVIOUSLY I must think terribly of them.

I am pretty tolerant of beliefs outside of my own-- I know you refuse to believe it, but if you want to go back and find quotes, go for it. If you did look, I think you'd find that I pretty regularly condemn fanaticsm or bigotry disguised as religion. When somebody says Jesus hates gay people, yes, I'm going to talk about how I think Christianity may be at fault for a lot of prejudices... but more often than not, this is legit racism/bigoted people hiding behind their god, when there's just as many logical, not hate-ful Christians in existence, and I happen to even live with one.

So-- you're wrong.

2. See, the thing about a concession is that it is meaningless when you so still hold firm to the ideas that fueled the conflict. I would not stretch the truth to say you have not given an inch on your core hang-ups (expressed at Nightly) usually leading to your battles with the Poes of the board.

This statement is far more telling of why you are the way you are than it is a slight against me. In one breath you're telling me I'm unable to accept people who disagree with me, and yet here you say when I do concede I'm a hypocrite for not forcing them to my side? Make up your mind.

The fact you think this way explains your relentless badgering and neverending need to keep going (like this thread!) until everyone thinks you're right. Obviously I can't let it go either, so you got me there. And sure I love then attention, otherwise we'd be doing this over PM.

But simply put-- I can respect a person and still disagree with them. If you can't, well that's your burden to live with. There's a reason "agree to disagree" is a commonly used phrase. Attitudes like yours that are a problem with this country-- everything has been reduced to black and white and you agree with me or YOU'RE wrong.

Again, the irony of you accusing me of this is laughable. I could to your profile, pick pretty much any post you make and quote it as an example of what you accuse me of doing.

I do not use my knowledge/experience to dismiss or dress down the opinions of others in posts or topics if they happen to be related to my profession.

Of your profession, no. Of pretty much anything else, yes. You are the worst. Everyone knows it. That's why people constantly say you're a pompous know it all and has you blocked. Ever wonder why only 3 or 4 people actually respond to you?

At the end of the day, if I know someone is posting something lacking even a casual relationship to the truth, I do not drop in from On High trying to create a climate of submission & silence. I don't live for that fractured ego / Limbaugh-ian ****. Its just a message board.

Again-- freaking hilarious and hypocritical for you to say this. This is exactly what you do. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe you don't realize you do this-- but you're not stupid, so I find it hard to think that is true.

In fact, you all but call people stupid by being so dismissive-- which is what started this.

As for my work-- this site is 90% posting about movies and Star Wars. It always has been. I've been working in film professionally for about 5 years, and I've been posting here for over 15.

I guess I could have just never posted once I sold a script, but this an online home to me and I have friends here. I have tried very hard-- in fact in this very thread, to say that I know movies are subjectional and I would never tell anybody they are wrong for liking a movie based on content. If people want to argue structure or talk about the business, why can't I pipe in with my knowledge? I don't try to condemn, but I get to have opinions too.

The ONLY time I have ever been condescending and dismissive is on the topic of four movies. The PT and ID4.

And for at least the last few years even that has become a joke that everyone is aware of. There's people on that Christian list above that like the PT just fine-- and guess what. Still friends with them. Never been mean to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I say you were humorless? I take it back. Cause what you just posted is hilarious. You could not be more wrong about me, but given the fact that you have yet to, in over 15 years of posting here, ever once considered your own opinion anything other than golden, I'm perfectly fine letting you think whatever you want. Have fun on your path to being the biggest curmudgeon and miserable soul I've ever encountered online.

And just for funsies:

Christians who post on this board that I am friends with and whom I have never insulted (outside of jest):

Destiny Skywalker

Number Six

Jedi Cool

Darth Krawlie

--to name a few. All of them I am friends with on social media and I have no problem with them knowing my real name, where I live, or to see pics of my kid. So yes, OBVIOUSLY I must think terribly of them.

I am pretty tolerant of beliefs outside of my own-- I know you refuse to believe it, but if you want to go back and find quotes, go for it. If you did look, I think you'd find that I pretty regularly condemn fanaticsm or bigotry disguised as religion. When somebody says Jesus hates gay people, yes, I'm going to talk about how I think Christianity may be at fault for a lot of prejudices... but more often than not, this is legit racism/bigoted people hiding behind their god, when there's just as many logical, not hate-ful Christians in existence, and I happen to even live with one.

So-- you're wrong.

2. This statement is far more telling of why you are the way you are than it is a slight against me. In one breath you're telling me I'm unable to accept people who disagree with me, and yet here you say when I do concede I'm a hypocrite for not forcing them to my side? Make up your mind.

The fact you think this way explains your relentless badgering and neverending need to keep going (like this thread!) until everyone thinks you're right. Obviously I can't let it go either, so you got me there. And sure I love then attention, otherwise we'd be doing this over PM.

3. Of your profession, no. Of pretty much anything else, yes. You are the worst. Everyone knows it. That's why people constantly say you're a pompous know it all and has you blocked. Ever wonder why only 3 or 4 people actually respond to you?

4. In fact, you all but call people stupid by being so dismissive-- which is what started this.

As for my work-- this site is 90% posting about movies and Star Wars. It always has been. I've been working in film professionally for about 5 years, and I've been posting here for over 15.

I guess I could have just never posted once I sold a script, but this an online home to me and I have friends here. I have tried very hard-- in fact in this very thread, to say that I know movies are subjectional and I would never tell anybody they are wrong for liking a movie based on content. If people want to argue structure or talk about the business, why can't I pipe in with my knowledge? I don't try to condemn, but I get to have opinions too.

The ONLY time I have ever been condescending and dismissive is on the topic of four movies. The PT and ID4.

And for at least the last few years even that has become a joke that everyone is aware of. There's people on that Christian list above that like the PT just fine-- and guess what. Still friends with them. Never been mean to them.

1. None are so guilty as the person filling most of his posts with "I'm not like that!" You can list the handful of board Christians you claim to be friends with, but that does not alter your history of posting disparaging things about the faith or its followers. You're more Trumpian than you know--much like his "I respect women more than anybody" and rolls out Conway, Ivanka, Lara, Omarosa, et al., as character witnesses, their existence (or relationship with the man) cannot rewrite his history of gross, misogynistic statements. Similarly, a relationship with a few Christians does not....you get it.

2. Are that blind? In one breath, you accuse me of wanting to be right, yet your every word boils down to defending your own positions (personal and professional) as being correct. How are you missing that--or is your mirror too cracked to see the hypocrisy in your posts?

3. Amusing, since you--gazing down from a self constructed Throne of the Haughty One--have consistently passed judgement on any who did not share your world views. You seem to forget that you do have a long track record here, and you are not this manufactured, innocent man offering passive opinion while giving due respect and freedom for your ideological opposites to express theirs without a river of dismissive and/or shiv-like commentary on the view or the member. I expect nothing less than denial.

Do you really think in over decade of posting here that no one has sent off site messages about your behavior or why they will not respond to certain posts you've made? Come on.

4. No, what started this was you trying to sledgehammer (masked as a wagging finger) your would-be Straight Outta Skywalker Ranch opinion as truth, and if not accepted, others MUST BE failing to understand you, your interpretation of all things SW (or cinema in general) purposely misreading, or being willfully delusional, sexist, or...whatever.

About that referring to the career thing? Missing the point.

Finally, you don't condemn? Mm-okay.

You know, I was watching a star wars marathon recently...I realized there's several ways to view this saga.

There's the 1-6, story of Vader way like GL originally wanted

There the 1-9 Disney way, making it more about a lightsaber being passed on

Theres the 4-9 way for ppl like Driver and Poe.

Oh yea there also that inverse order one that completely abolishes TPM

Tell you what Justus... What started this was not me touting my opinion, what started it was me talking about misogyny and how it effects the movie industry, then you misquoted me in your usual redactive fashion to say I was saying something I wasn't.

When I corrected you, and tried to say where I was coming from was supported by what JJ Abrams himself said, you pulled your holier than thou card and talked down to me and insinuated I was stupid. I fought back-- and here we are.

Since this will obviously go nowhere, and I honestly can't even follow your train of ridiculous thoughts anymore, just hang onto your silly theories about me and next time you see them in action feel free to quote me and point out my great and many fallacies.

Have fun with your clubhouse messages about how much you hate me with whom I assume to be Tsquare and Rev. That sounds like a party.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.