I had a Star Wars marathon recently and...

Quetzalcoatl

Have we ever had a discussion about TFA that didn't turn into "everyone who didn't love it is a misogynist"?

No one has said that. That's what people think I said, and then they get their panties in a wad.

But I'm done with the argument.

I watched TFA again on Friday and it's still as good as ever. As excited as I am about Rogue One, it's just a stopover until Episode VIII.

I'm a total geek and love geeky discussions and tried catching up on the reading...but gawd, I had to stop. The overanalyzing Rey and Luke in this thread has gone beyond completely stupid.

I used to think that way too. Over analyzing movies started to feel really silly. Then I thought about it. Directors and writers put so much into the scenes they film and write that we NEED to deeply analyze them. They add specific lighting, colors, and images to scenes. They have actors give little gestures or the way they deliver a line. They put so much into everything we see, we almost have to look deeper.

For instance. When Rey and Ren are fighting and he tells her she needs a teacher, she meditates for a second, calling on the force, then goes on the attck. You can hear what sounds like Vader's labored breathing in the background while she's breathing, the two sounds blend into one and she attacks. I think that scene is mirroring Luke flirting with the dark side when he attacks Vader in rotj. Is it looking too deep into a movie or is it trying to read what Abrams was showing is in the scene? I don't know, but it's a fun way to kill 2 years until we find out.

Have we ever had a discussion about TFA that didn't turn into "everyone who didn't love it is a misogynist"?

No one has said that. That's what people think I said, and then they get their panties in a wad.

But I'm done with the argument.

I watched TFA again on Friday and it's still as good as ever. As excited as I am about Rogue One, it's just a stopover until Episode VIII.

Sure, people have said it. Pretty much everyone who argues with you says it. And its a boring argument.

I'm a total geek and love geeky discussions and tried catching up on the reading...but gawd, I had to stop. The overanalyzing Rey and Luke in this thread has gone beyond completely stupid.

I used to think that way too. Over analyzing movies started to feel really silly. Then I thought about it. Directors and writers put so much into the scenes they film and write that we NEED to deeply analyze them. They add specific lighting, colors, and images to scenes. They have actors give little gestures or the way they deliver a line. They put so much into everything we see, we almost have to look deeper.

For instance. When Rey and Ren are fighting and he tells her she needs a teacher, she meditates for a second, calling on the force, then goes on the attck. You can hear what sounds like Vader's labored breathing in the background while she's breathing, the two sounds blend into one and she attacks. I think that scene is mirroring Luke flirting with the dark side when he attacks Vader in rotj. Is it looking too deep into a movie or is it trying to read what Abrams was showing is in the scene? I don't know, but it's a fun way to kill 2 years until we find out.

You know, when I first heard this theory I thought it was straw clutching. But then I read this and some of the points rang true. And the more I think about it the more it seems probable. It'd be nice if they made us LOVE Rey as a heroine, and then kick us in the guts at the end of Ep08 when she falls to the darkside after killing (or joining) Kylo Ren, give us the hurt we should've felt when Anakin fell to the dark. Cause it was really hard to like Anakin (the way he was portrayed and written) that his inevitable turn to Vader was meh. It felt just like going through the motions. The only thing about Anakin's fall that made me feel **** was Obi-Wan's lamentations "We were brothers, Anakin!"

One piece of evidence about the possibility of Rey going dark that the article doesn't mention, is that prior to the release of TFA JJ hinted one of the characters "is not who we think they are". Maybe the whole parentage thing is a total unnecessary red herring, that not knowing who "they" are, is about not knowing what Rey's true character is. Not who her parents are.

Of course this could all be BS, and I wouldn't be bothered either way. (Its Star Wars, Im a fanboy and I'll love it no matter what anyway...provided they don't start talking about midichlorians and all that **** again.) But a big part of me would love Rey to be the real next villain proper.

I've thought of that too. I've heard (and thought myself) that The Force Awakens was 1/3 remake, 1/3 reboot, 1/3 its own thing (and 100% awesome). Now what if their plan is to essentally "remake" the entire existing 6 movie saga? Like Odine pointed out, Anakin's turn didn't quite have the right feeling to it. Now part of that is I think having 2 actors play him led to a bit of a disconnect, part of it was problems with the prequels and part of it was everyone knew it was coming. To make this trilogy and have Rey fall to the darkside at the end of Episode IX would be a real gut punch.

Then Disney makes only "Star Wars Story" movies for a few years. Then brings back Rey and company maybe 6-7 years later in real time but could easily say 20 had passed in story and have the next generation have to fight her.

I don't think this is what is going to happen, but I don't totally discount the possibility.

That's an interesting theory, that she will turn.

A lot of people disagree with this, but I always thought that us knowing how the prequels would end pretty much ruined the suspense that should have been there. With this trilogy everything is on the table. Rey could turn to the dark side, Ren could turn to the light. Hell Rey could figure out how to control both sides. Anything is possible and that not knowing gives these movies an advantage.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Occasionally, it turns into EU bashing instead.

If only Pong would come back, so we could all unite in discussing how terrible he is.

Ever consider the possibility he hasn't come back because he IS terrible?

It's all part of his master plan.

Occasionally, it turns into EU bashing instead.

If only Pong would come back, so we could all unite in discussing how terrible he is.

Ever consider the possibility he hasn't come back because he IS terrible?

It's all part of his master plan.

Who knew he was so clever?

I honestly don't. She's a hot seller with little girls. Kathleen Kennedy at SW Celebration said she was going to change the fact that there were very few female role models for women in the saga. Even if the initial idea was for Rey to be the true villain, after seeing how much TFA made and how much Rey had to do with that, I can see them changing course in any plans they had for turning her.

I hope you're right. But I doubt that executives at the top will always put story in front of what they feel is a chance for more merchandising dollars. It's similar to what we've mentioned in the Rebels thread about how they seem to be unwilling to make a SW story without using Jedi and lightsabers. We have Darth Maul, Ahsoka Tano, some other powerful Jedi and a bunch of inquisitors with helicopter lightsabers running around involved in major events during a period where there should be no Force users out in the open at all. Based on the last episode we might even get a major OT character involved now too. Storywise it is not where this should be. But merchandise wise, it is major moolah for Disney.

The Force, in alot of ways, is Star Wars. It's what separates it from other space adventure movies. That's not saying that they couldn't make a movie here and there with no use of The Force but they will be few and far between.

The big question I have is does Disney yet have a post Episode IX plan? I mean if this trilogy grosses like 6 billion bucks or something like that it does seem unlikely they would be like "oh well the adventures of Rey, Finn and the gang are over, sure was fun!!" You'd think they'd want to continue on with these characters. The thing is would they make an Episode X right away or would they stick to having the trilogies being seperated by generations? It would take alot of restraint to wait a long time to make Episode X. Now they don't have to wait 20 years to make it. They could have 5-10 and just say 15-20 has passed in story and it could probably work. Maybe they make "Star Wars Story" movies individually about Rey, Finn, Poe between IX and X? I really have no idea, but liek I said if the Episodes are making close to 2 billion each and the Story movies are say making 1 billion it will take a lot of restraint to wait long to make X.

There was news that the just schedule a movie after IX, but no word of what it was.

R1 is getting around the no-jedi thing by having a guy who is a follower of the force, but has no powers. Like a regular monk instead of a warrior monk. I think that's actually really cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.