I had a Star Wars marathon recently and...

Quetzalcoatl

• 7 months later...

Speaking of Star Wars marathons, TNT has been having one this whole week. I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time and since I just watched this again, here goes. During the Battle of Yavin, Red Leader tells Luke to take Wedge and Biggs and basically fly high over the Death Star and "set up for your attack run." Red Leader then goes on his run with his wingmen while Vader and Ties pursue. So I'm wondering why would Luke and the rest of the fighters just fly around and basically watch as Vader blows away their comrades out of the sky? Shouldn't they follow Vader from behind and take him out to allow the attack run to better succeed?

I was thinking watching Empire today about all the stupid little stuff that people would complain about if the movies came out today. Like after Hoth when Luke leaves he just flies away. He leaves just minutes after the Falcon does and the Falcon is runs into a blockade. Did Luke just like go in the other direction? When he leaves the planet there is no sign of any Imperial ship. Why didn't the Falcon just head the same way Luke did?

I mean I don't really care, I'm not actually complaining about it. But if that movie came out today you can be 100% sure that people would be screaming about it.

The Death Star is huge. To stay out of the range of the tower blaster fire they had to stay high. The idea was to stay safe for a trench run as that was the objective, not chasing Tie fighters

Yeah but wouldn't they better serve the attack by having the back of the attackers? You have 3 X-wings flying through a trench with 3 Ties following right behind them with 3 more X-wings flying above just watching. Luke, Wedge and Biggs could've flown behind them and shot them down to give Red Leader a clear shot. Basically Luke could've pulled the Han maneuver himself.

But then, that is one fewer attempt at the trench run entirely if it fails and all of them are picked off at the same time. Also, keep in mind that one of the earlier runs was successful in getting off a quality shot at the exhaust port. If there wasn't a problem with the magnetic field interfering with the targeting computers, that run would have succeeded while Luke and company were still running interference with the TIEs.

If there wasn't a problem with the magnetic field interfering with the targeting computers, that run would have succeeded while Luke and company were still running interference with the TIEs.

Ah there you go. I'll take that answer. I still say allowing your comrades to get blown out of the sky when you can do something about it is a horrible strategy, but at least this provides a little bit better if an explanation.

I was thinking watching Empire today about all the stupid little stuff that people would complain about if the movies came out today. Like after Hoth when Luke leaves he just flies away. He leaves just minutes after the Falcon does and the Falcon is runs into a blockade. Did Luke just like go in the other direction? When he leaves the planet there is no sign of any Imperial ship. Why didn't the Falcon just head the same way Luke did?

I mean I don't really care, I'm not actually complaining about it. But if that movie came out today you can be 100% sure that people would be screaming about it.

I wouldn't be so sure. TFA was a terrible film; had all the same problems as the PT. But look at the reception it received vs the PT.

1) After watching all six movies, Rey's abilities in TFA don't seem that far-fetched compared to what we've seen in the other films. I've been among those who thought that Rey displayed too much ability for someone with no training in the force, to the point where it bordered on absurdity. Now, though, I'm not so sure. Is Rey's demonstration of her force abilities really all that different than Luke turning off his navigational computer and relying on his instincts during the DS battle, or Anakin using his natural force abilities to race pods and pilot Naboo fighters?

The thing here is Obi Wan instructs Luke to trust his instincts (The Force) before he turns off his nav computer. No one tells Rey to do anything, (e.g. Jedi Mind Trick) she just knows how to do it, plus... firing a shot from a ship is nothing compared to taking on a dark Jedi who's been trained by Luke and Snoke it seems... and actually winning.

Saying that TFA's and the PT's problems are the same is like saying a burning match is no different from a burning dumpster fire filled with ****.

TFA has become just as unwatchable. Bad acting, bad CGI, a story that makes no sense, terrible set ups and payoffs, wasted opportunities. Here's to hoping R1 changes things because if not it'll become clear the magic of SW ended in the early 80's.

TFA has become just as unwatchable. Bad acting, bad CGI, a story that makes no sense, terrible set ups and payoffs, wasted opportunities. Here's to hoping R1 changes things because if not it'll become clear the magic of SW ended in the early 80's.

I actually prefer the prequels, and I'm not a prequel fan. In my opinion TFA was executed better (flashy camera and editing work) but the story sucked so bad and I just can't bring myself to liking the new characters or how Han and Luke where portrayed. That's why I prefer the prequels, because for me, at the end of the day it's the story and the characters that matter to me more than anything else.

One question I've had on my mind for a while for people who like TFA (and in some cases don't like the EU)... what if the TFA was written and released as an EU novel and not a film. Would you think it was a worthy sequel ?

One question I've had on my mind for a while for people who like TFA (and in some cases don't like the EU)... what if the TFA was written and released as an EU novel and not a film. Would you think it was a worthy sequel ?

This applies to me!

I think it's hard to say because it would greatly depend on who was writing it. I like exactly one EU book-- SOTE written by Steve Perry. I feel like her got it. I think Zahn and Lucerno are terrible writers on a base level that has nothing to do with Star Wars-- so if they wrote it no.

Even if Hemmingway wrote TFA as a novel I still don't know I'd like it though. My biggest problem with the EU is that it never feels like Star Wars to me. The magic and wonder is missing when you take characters from a fast-paced action film and try to place them in a literary space. Pain and simple, in prose, Star Wars doesn't work for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.