The Starkiller Base Problem

RamonAtila

Doesn't Tank claim that the directors will be able to do whatever they want story wise? :p

In this case, I agree with him. If JJ wanted to blow up Coruscant, he would have.

In terms of being beholden to a book, they're going to do whatever they want. That's probably why there are limited books and nothing is being written until after the movie is written.

But in terms of having a boss that says no, JJ isn't God.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't think Hosnian Prime looks like Coruscant. Hosnian had water, and the railing of that balcony looked too old. Coruscant was modern.

It also makes political sense why the New Republic didn't settle on Coruscant.

No I had my doubts when I first saw it. I would think that some ILM guy that worked on the prequels worked on TFA and wouldn't have had it look so different.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't think Hosnian Prime looks like Coruscant. Hosnian had water, and the railing of that balcony looked too old. Coruscant was modern.

It also makes political sense why the New Republic didn't settle on Coruscant.

No I had my doubts when I first saw it. I would think that some ILM guy that worked on the prequels worked on TFA and wouldn't have had it look so different.

The average movie goer wouldn't be expected to know what system, or the exact make up of one space city planet from another and that's who these movies are made for-- not fans who obsess on details.

The reason I find it baffling is because if they wanted us to know it wasn't the same planet from the PT they could have made it much different looking.

If it was intended to be a big city that was the seat of the government then why NOT make it Coruscant? If they didn't want to get icky PT germs on themselves, then why bother mentioning clone armies and The Sith?

Either way the decision makes no sense. I've said it a hundred times-- if I have to go and read a book to know the exact details of something that didn't make sense in a movie, that is 100% b.s.

So as far as I am concerned, Coruscant is in the Hosnian system and it was wiped out. Simple. Done. Fini.

I didn't have a problem with not-Coruscant becoming the seat of government and it was obviously not-Coruscant to me

(and there are lots of sensible / pragmatic reasons for not destroying it, even from the FO's perspective; I'd only want to destroy it because I don't like it as a location)

Well, I'd explain WHY they didn't use Coruscant as the seat of government, but you don't want to hear it, so I won't waste my time. :p

To me, a novel writer, the reasoning makes sense. *shrugs*

Don't get technical with me... I've written novels

The only thing that makes sense is JJ being told he couldn't blow up Coruscant because it would be too much of an FU to Lucas.

I think it might be more of an FU to Lucas that the most important planet of the Prequels is no longer worth blowing up or making the capital.

If it was intended to be a big city that was the seat of the government then why NOT make it Coruscant? If they didn't want to get icky PT germs on themselves, then why bother mentioning clone armies and The Sith?

I thought the oddest Prequel inclusion was Lor San Tekka mentioning Balance of the Force.

Clones and Sith were a part of Star Wars well before the Prequels. But Balance of the Force is pure Prequel lore from the Prophecy of the Chosen One.

You're going to have to cite that. I know that the name Alderaan once applied to the Imperial capital (the world described evolved into Bespin, not Coruscant). But I don't recall any of the scripts describing the planet under siege/destroyed by the super weapon ever being anything other than an idyllic place.

Alderaan first appeared in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, the seminal movie of the Star Wars saga. In that movie, the planet was only seen from space during the scene depicting its destruction.[2] In the treatment, rough draft, second draft, and third draft of what would become A New Hope, the name of Alderaan was used for the capital of the "New Galactic Empire." At that time, it was described as a giant gas planet that resembled Bespin, with a city that resembled Cloud City on it. In the second draft of A New Hope, the home planet of Princess Leia was called Organa Major. Aquilae, Utapau and Ophuchi were also considered as names for worlds partially corresponding to Alderaan.[22]

Honestly, though I have the names Aquilae, Utapau, Organa Major, and Had Abbadon (I'll always blank Ophuchi) commited to memory, I mix up their early roles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.