Kylo's helmet

captainbleh

I don't know if this is correct or not (even though I've seen TFA three times), but I think Kylo is more powerful / capable when he is wearing his helmet (freezing blaster bolts, interrogating Poe, freezing Rey and grabbing that FO minion) than when he isn't (failing to interrogate Rey)

I don't know if it has any (not psychological) significance / function (and he wouldn't take it off if it was some kind of Force amplifier and he had any sense), but is it a possibility?

Physical objects that effect the force doesn't seem very likely to me.

Me neither.

They've shown up in early versions of various scripts before, but never made the final product because they tend to demystify things too much.

I don't get this part - could you explain why you think it would demystify things?

The best example I can think of is one of the early SW drafts had the MacGuffin in the form of a crystal that amplified the force. The idea was recycled for Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

The Force, in my mind, always works best as nebulous to an extent. It's what makes Star Wars able to walk that perfect line of fantasy, myth, and science fiction. When you start adding magic crystals, amulets, or other objects it goes to much into the fantasy realm for me.

Similarly, midichlorians pushed it too much into scfi, which I also disliked.

Well, if technology or artefacts exist that can amplify or direct whatever-the-Force-is, then it makes whatever-the-Force-is a thing that can be amplified or directed by technology or artefacts, and that demystifies it a bit and (as Driver just said) nudges Star Wars in to not-Star Wars

Kylo's helmet could be some sort of technological aid that gives him abilities that have thus far eluded him and perpetuates the illusion of someone being more (Force) powerful than they actually are. I know that is a bit daft and it's not something I want to be true (just thinking out loud), but the way the helmet was presented in the movie (especially it's heft / the big THX-enhanced "clunks" whenever he put it down) kept making me think it wasn't just a helmet

In would think that the way the helmet seems so heavy that it would be more a hindrance than anything else. He drops it and it just sticks to that scaffolding. Doesn't even bounce.

I

But we do know that he no longer has the helmet. As well as a lightsaber. So does he build a new helmet? Does he have spaces? He definitely has to build a new saber.

Look good, feel good.

Feel good, Force good.

This.

It is kinda like your favorite sweatshirt as a kid...you know the one. You wear that sweatshirt and you feel like you are on top of the world and your confidence is higher so you actually do more better!

But instead of a red hooded sweatshirt it's a Darth Vader fanboy mask!

I'm going to add you saying Pablo's name to the drinking game.

I actually always look at the visual dictionaries and art books. I'm too big of a fan of movie production to not appreciate them. I just always felt like the extra info provided always came off as fanfic-y and based on the imagination of the writers, and would then be used as canonical factoids by overly zealous EU fans eager to display their superior knowledge.

Or, people just like getting more information about a world and story they like.

Pablo Pablo Pablo. He's in the end credits! Take a drink next time you see the movie!

Going back to Kylo's helmet - I am very interested to see if he builds a new helmet in the next film. I'm inclined to say he'll be sans helmet, especially since we know his identity and have seen him without it multiple times. Also, making him go without his precious helmet seems like something Snoke would do.

When you think about it, they subtly gave masks/helmets a lot of importance in this one:

-Rey taunting Kylo saying he hides behind a mask.

-Han saying he wants the mask off, saying he wants to see the face of his son.

-Rey as a scavenger wearing that X-Wing pilot helmet while she was eating.

-First ever stormtrooper blood on the storm trooper helmet.

-Maz taking off her goggles.

You think they were going for a theme here?

The helmet is nothing more than an intimidation factor. Both for him and those around him. When he wears the mask it enables him to not be Ben, but instead be this all powerful badass...in his mind. He knows that without it he is just some baby faced kid. But with it he's an intimidating baddy. He even takes it off to soften himself to Rey. It's a symbol for him, nothing more.

Think of Vader, with the mask he was terrifying, without it just an old man. If I ran into ren without his mask I'd be all like, "Oh yea, I can take this punk." But with it on, I'd run like hell.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think Kylo's mask acted as actual facial armor as seen with the other Knights of Ren. It also concealed Kylo's identity from most people. For Kylo, it helped him shed his true identity. Even though his family and friends of family really knew who Kylo really was, I think it's not in either the First Order's or the Resistance's best interest to acknowledge or advertise the top leaders of each side are mother and son, so the are both happy to let Kylo assume his mask and new ID. I don't think the mask has any more meaning or function than that.

It seems that his mask may have been left behind on Starkiller Base. It will be interesting to see if Kylo retains the same style mask. We don't know how injured he was, or what kind of disfigurement he now has, after fighting Rey. I wonder if he may end up with a more Vader-like mask.

Physical objects that effect the force doesn't seem very likely to me. They've shown up in early versions of various scripts before, but never made the final product because they tend to demystify things too much.

Yes. Midichlorians worked out a lot better than the Kaiburr Crystal. :p

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.