OT Original Edit

ShadowDog

I don’t think this really makes me think they’ll never release the original.

I think a better change would be for Greedo to fire after he died, showing he was preparing to shoot but Han got him first. At least that would help Lucas’s point about wanting Han to not be a cold blooded killer. Even though the dialogue shows his life is already in danger.

Really? You didn't know that Hidalgo was the one who pushed to have this small deleted scene put back in? It's in just about every article I've seen on the subject. He poo-pooed Lucas during the prequel era by writing a story about a silly character named Mace Windu and seems to be bitter about everything Lucas has done, so I wouldn't say it's too much of a stretch that this alteration--inserting a deleted scene that even Lucas thought was too dumb to make the cut--piggybacking off an already unpopular alteration, is out of his character.

George Lucas can't change something he has no involvement in. Look at the facts.

Not sure what him having final say on changes to the first six movies has to do with him hating the recent ones.

But I never heard anything about him retaining any control. If we had heard it, I think it would have shut this thread down.

Not sure what him having final say on changes to the first six movies has to do with him hating the recent ones.

But I never heard anything about him retaining any control. If we had heard it, I think it would have shut this thread down.

Retaining control was wrong wording, but i recall there was SOMETHING in the Disney contract where the initial versions they released were his final cuts. That said it might have had more to do with Fox, which obviously doesn’t matter now.

Eitherway, this cut is confirmed a Lucas cut. It would have been when he was working on the 3D versions that never ended up getting released. I actually think you’re getting confused Zerimar because you mention this was a deleted scene, which it isn’t. It’s an alteration to an existing cut.

Also - just because he doesn’t read the Internet doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what’s going on with the franchise. He has been on set of the TV series and some of the new films. He has been to the premieres. He is well across what is happening.

Assuming by "he" you mean George Lucas, that is correct. Further, Lucas has stated multiple times that he even stays away from the Internet because of toxicity, so he has next to no idea what all is going on with the franchise he created.

It’s obvious that isn’t true, based on his own public comments. He’s not involved in decision making, but he’s aware enough to complain about the new stuff.

As for my point, what does Lucas hating The Force Awakens have to do with whether or not he controls edits of the OT and PT?

Huh. Well, I stand corrected, then. I did read two articles--not from pro-EU groups--stating that Hidalgo was responsible and took credit for it. But I guess they were wrong, and so was I, so I apologize.

Assuming by "he" you mean George Lucas, that is correct. Further, Lucas has stated multiple times that he even stays away from the Internet because of toxicity, so he has next to no idea what all is going on with the franchise he created.

It’s obvious that isn’t true, based on his own public comments. He’s not involved in decision making, but he’s aware enough to complain about the new stuff.

As for my point, what does Lucas hating The Force Awakens have to do with whether or not he controls edits of the OT and PT?

But he hasn't done as much complaining as one might think. It seems he only reacts to big news once it reaches his ears, which is perfectly consistent with someone who isn't paying much attention.

I think he just really wasn't happy with the direction they took with Force Awakens, as you said completely ignoring his treatments. I think now he has settled down since apparently Last Jedi retained more elements from his original treatments. He has also had more involvement - he visited the set of Solo a few times and made some suggestions on scenes, and looks like he was involved a bit with the Mandolorian.

Basically - I think he's OK with all the other post SW movies except Force Awakens. I think he'll hate Episode 9. I don't think he is fond of JJ.

Huh. Well, I stand corrected, then. I did read two articles--not from pro-EU groups--stating that Hidalgo was responsible and took credit for it. But I guess they were wrong, and so was I, so I apologize.

But he hasn't done as much complaining as one might think. It seems he only reacts to big news once it reaches his ears, which is perfectly consistent with someone who isn't paying much attention.

Okay, you win. You’ve intentionally ignored every time I’ve questioned you about what you said, so I’m done. I surrender, your desire to avoid far surpasses my desire to question. You should go into politics.

What the actual **** are you talking about, buddy? Are you talking about your question about George Lucas retaining control over the edits to the original Trilogy? I've ignored it because I've not said or implied anything like that, ergo the question is not relevant. It has nothing to do with anything I said and therefore does not need addressed.

Done crying now?

I think you way way overestimate how much influence Hidalgo has on the films.

Also Im pretty sure Lucas still had final say on the cuts to prequels and OT - wasnt in the contract when he sold to Disney? They could only show his iterations.

Everything that's come out ever since indicates that the new films aren't even close to his original story treatments and he isn't happy about it. So either it wasn't in the contract or there was some sort of wording loophole that Kennedy and Iger exploited.

Wader said that he thinks Lucas has final cut on the OT and PT, and you immediately responded that it either wasn't in the contract or there was a loophole because he isn't happy about the new films.

I don't know why I let myself get sucked in again. I hate me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the comments section of that io9 article:

...This is why the laser disc edition was the last version of the theatrical cuts to be released. Georges first wife has royalties from the theatrical cuts thanks to her involvement in the production of the originals, and its not a coincidence they stopped being available after that.

Is that true? I somehow doubt that's actually the reason. If that's so that's some pretty petty shit right there.

The fact that he never released the original print to the National Film Registry says there's more to it than wanting to deprive his ex.

A lot of it is conjecture, but I've read that George has final say on any released versions of the original 6 movies. I'd say that's more believable than this conspiracy theory, especially since Lucas did release the original cuts a while ago as a special feature. They were terribly done, but they exist.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.