OT Original Edit

ShadowDog

Compare Kylo Ren's scene with Han Solo to Anakin and Obi-Wan's on the landing pad on Mustafar then get back to me.

Oddly enough, I knew exactly what was going to happen in both scenes. In one it's because it's a prequel, so I knew where all the characters were going to end up. In the other it's because they wrote it and played it so obvious that it took away any sense of surprise. As soon as I saw the catwalk, it was like, oh Han's buying it here. Poor setup job.

When he gulped in relief you didn't think that was funny? It wasn't fall on the floor can't breath hilarious but I laughed the first time and still smile these days.

When the Falcon jumped to lightspeed and Piett just stared with a combination of disbelief and dread at the empty space, I was thinking he was dead meat. I was almost grabbing at my own neck waiting for it to happen, anticipating it so much that when Vader just walks away, I felt a sense of relief. The combination of how that scene was played out and acted managed to put me in his shoes. I never thought there was anything comic about that scene at all.

Compare Kylo Ren's scene with Han Solo to Anakin and Obi-Wan's on the landing pad on Mustafar then get back to me.

Oddly enough, I knew exactly what was going to happen in both scenes. In one it's because it's a prequel, so I knew where all the characters were going to end up. In the other it's because they wrote it and played it so obvious that it took away any sense of surprise. As soon as I saw the catwalk, it was like, oh Han's buying it here. Poor setup job.

Not talking about what happened, talking about how it was portrayed.

You're saying Vader walking away letting Piett live was supposed to be played for laughs? But since you brought that up, now THAT is how you portray that. Those ESB and TFA scenes most definitely did not have the same vibe.

But the TFA scenes SHOULDN'T have been played the same, should they? Kylo is a Vader wanna-be at this point, he's not Vader. He has the power, but not the control. Vader had power and control. Kylo isn't there yet, but probably will be after a few more movies.

I didn't have any problem with them using Kylo's immaturity for laughs.

Also, the storm troopers turning around isn't that much different from that little tiny droid backing up and avoiding Vader.

I can understand changing the Krayt Dragon call, but that new trill was not only plain stupid sounding and not fitting of a monster supposedly scary enough to scare off Tuskin raiders, it sounds too much like the Boga lizard in ROTS.

Pretty sure it was in an interview during ROTS that that was one of those tenuously deliberate connections between trilogies.

The original krayt dragon call (or whatever) was kind of a silly sound. It sounded like a car alarm morphing into an elephant. Then they changed it, and that was stupid. Then they changed it yet again (and again?). Guess what? Worse every time. It was obviously never going to be much of an improvement no matter what... which means you don't change it at all. But it was. Why? Because "sand people aren't afraid of dewbacks". Those giant lizard things? Why the hell not? No...better yet who cares. It's stupid logic based on something in Lucas's head and not actually in the movie. You see, it didn't matter until it was decided to make stormtroopers ride around on dewbacks like they are a carnival ride. What were they doing riding them anyways? Pointless. It made the stormtroopers look infantile, the dewbacks dumb, and because of this, he felt he then had to change that recycled sound in the dragon call scene. If it bothered him so much, he could have simply changed or removed the dewback sound in the less important stormtrooper/escape pod scene. Instead...we got a dumb change which led to another dumb change, which was changed several times over. Just so he could have stormtroopers play around on dewbacks. I don't get it.

Ya know, I could fix these movies. Put me at the helm!

You're saying Vader walking away letting Piett live was supposed to be played for laughs? But since you brought that up, now THAT is how you portray that. Those ESB and TFA scenes most definitely did not have the same vibe.

I laugh at that scene every time because of the dude on the datapad. Vader passes a guy reading his datapad as he leaves the bridge. Dude is totally engrossed. Then, after Vader passes him, he looks up, glances over his shoulder, and is like..."did something just happen?"

It's hilarious.

But the TFA scenes SHOULDN'T have been played the same, should they? Kylo is a Vader wanna-be at this point, he's not Vader. He has the power, but not the control. Vader had power and control. Kylo isn't there yet, but probably will be after a few more movies.

I didn't have any problem with them using Kylo's immaturity for laughs.

Also, the storm troopers turning around isn't that much different from that little tiny droid backing up and avoiding Vader.

Yes, exactly. During that first scene with the lieutenant, EVERYONE in the theatre started chuckling when he first reported to Kylo Ren. Why? Because everyone expected Kylo to freak out and kill the guy. That's what the baddies do, right? They play that up, with Kylo igniting his lightsaber and the lieutenant flinching. You think Kylo's going to slice him up the way he did Lor San Tekka.

Then, instead, Kylo turns around and has a temper tantrum.

That is a hilarious subversion of a Star Wars trope. But, even though it's humorous to us, the audience, doesn't mean it's not frightening for people in universe. Yeah, Kylo is immature and petulant, but he's scary because he's completely unhinged. Those stormtroopers aren't backing up because they think it's funny Kylo's having another tantrum, they're backing up because "holy shit, that guy's crazy."

When he gulped in relief you didn't think that was funny? It wasn't fall on the floor can't breath hilarious but I laughed the first time and still smile these days.

When the Falcon jumped to lightspeed and Piett just stared with a combination of disbelief and dread at the empty space, I was thinking he was dead meat. I was almost grabbing at my own neck waiting for it to happen, anticipating it so much that when Vader just walks away, I felt a sense of relief. The combination of how that scene was played out and acted managed to put me in his shoes. I never thought there was anything comic about that scene at all.

Regarding Han and Ben. I am wondering if I would've seen that coming if I didn't spoil myself. I think that I would have. My daughter knew nothing of what was coming, and she said she saw it coming.

Or turning OB1 into a lying ass.

Or NOT editing out when Leia kissed Luke in ESB. No one can't not cringe over that know.

I don't think it is a big deal. They had no idea, at the time (the characters), that they were brother and sister. When they did find out, a year had passed (Right?) and there were more important things to worry about (Leia just found out her dad was Darth Vader, trying to stay alive and defeat the Empire once and for all).

How long has it been since you've seen the original theatrical versions of the OT?

For me I'd say probably the mid 80s. I don't really remember them and how they differed from the updated versions. For instance, the whole shuttle thing in ESB. I had no idea.

The last time in a theatre was during the 10th anniversary of SW in 1987. After that, I bought the OT laserdiscs in the early 90s (both the "definitive" box set & U.S. singles), but contrary to myth, the LD versions were the first releases with changes to edits, sound, etc. I've been tempted to dig them out and make a digital transfer, but I never have the time.

I have the VHS tapes in my film storage, but its not worth the effort of trying to play fragile, muddy, pan-and-scan copies just to see something close to the theatrical versions.

No one cares about the Original Edit... Just saying!!

Joking aside, it's each to their own.

I prefer the most up-to-date blu-ray version but I don't care what version you like to be honest.

Not sure I'd enjoy going backwards though but that's just me.

• 3 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.