OT Original Edit

ShadowDog

• 4 months later...

I have given up on an "official" original edit. I've made my peace with it, especially ANH. All in all, the blu ray version of episodes 1-6 is good enough for me these days. You can't always get what you want.

However, just curious. Does anyone have or has seen the 4k version? Any significant differences from the blu ray? Is the video upgrade worth the price tag?

Everyone in my prop community has loved it. For example we were able to make out a few details with Luke's lightsaber that had been a mystery forever.

Beyond that though, your mileage may vary. I think the original film footage is awesome, but the quality of the late 90s era cg of the SE edits is really jarring.

I don't care if it's legal/official, I really like the 4K77 release. Hopefully they'll be able to finish ESB, they just have ANH and RotJ done so far. Basically 4K versions of the original films, pre-SE

Everyone in my prop community has loved it. For example we were able to make out a few details with Luke's lightsaber that had been a mystery forever.

Beyond that though, your mileage may vary. I think the original film footage is awesome, but the quality of the late 90s era cg of the SE edits is really jarring.

So they didn't touch up the CGI? What a bummer. So this is basically a sharper version of the bluray?

I don't care if it's legal/official, I really like the 4K77 release. Hopefully they'll be able to finish ESB, they just have ANH and RotJ done so far. Basically 4K versions of the original films, pre-SE

I've seen a fan edit or 2, but not that one. I am not against fan edits in any way, but I also try to support my all time favorite movies with buying official releases, when I can afford to.

So they didn't touch up the CGI? What a bummer. So this is basically a sharper version of the bluray?

With every release of the the post SE OT it's always a mixed bag. Jabba's ANH scene has been updated a few times, stuff like Luke's cartoon yell when he falls in Bespin comes and goes, the lightsaber effects seem to be always tinkered and get worse, yet the approach to Mos Eisley and the Death Star battle are as they were in 97-- which means they've been up-scaled. 35mm film can be upscaled to 4k. Late 90s rendering, not as much. Honestly, they should have waited until to do an SE of the OT. These days we don't always even know we're seeing cg. It's gotten that good.

Crazy to think the SE effects are almost a quarter century old.

I've only seen the 4k versions of the OT on Disney+. They're really nice. Now I've seen the 4k version of TLJ on a 75" OLED at Best Buy. Absolutely beautiful.

TLJ is the best Star Wars will ever look. The ST was shot on 4k and most of the post was built at that res so it's the best. The OT's film components are 35mm, which scannable to 4k. 4k was the X prize of digital cinema, it matches film fidelity on video codecs.

So you know what is just going to look worse and worse? The PT, shot on early digital cameras.

TLJ is the best Star Wars will ever look. The ST was shot on 4k and most of the post was built at that res so it's the best. The OT's film components are 35mm, which scannable to 4k. 4k was the X prize of digital cinema, it matches film fidelity on video codecs.

So you know what is just going to look worse and worse? The PT, shot on early digital cameras.

The best picture I remember seeing was the digital release of AOTC. Scary enough that was 18 years ago. The 4K version of AOTC didn't look as good as I remember that theatrical version.

It could have been. Picture quality wasn't on my mind when I saw TTT. When I saw AOTC in digital I drove 45 minutes to the nearest theater that had digital projection. I had already seen AOTC a few times so I was there dissecting every detail. It looked a lot better than the regular theatrical reel.

Yeah, each passing year, AOTC is harder to watch with its aging CGI. Much of it, like the ending scene as the legions of clone troopers were loading up on star destroyers really looks like an Xbox 360 game cut scene. The other day, I said it would be interesting if AOTC's CGI scenes were upgraded to modern standards, but then I started thinking about it, and that would be like re-rendering 75%+ of that movie. I doubt Disney would do that, at least unless and until CGI prices game down, which I doubt will happen either.

CGI in TTT, and other LOTR movies still hold up, however. A little aged, but not nearly as much as AOTC.

I think one of the issues with the PT and how it looks and how those looks has aged is that Lucas didn't just say "I'm going to use all available tech to make the movie look the very best it can." He specifically wanted to show how far CGI could be pushed and used it when practical effects would have worked better knowingly. The OT pushed specal effects forward immeasurably but out of need to make the best movie possible. With the PT Lucas was obsessed with again pushing movie making forward but I think somewhat at the expense of the actual movies he was making.

I think he was also a kid in a candy store. Money was no problem, and he could do whatever he wanted with the new tech.

The PT is the equivalent of Geocities in the late 90s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.