OT Original Edit

ShadowDog

It's funny. Lucas is derided backwards and forwards for "depriving" us of the original trilogy. Yet when the OT was actually released, it seems no one got their hands on it.

I've got them on DVD. I just haven't watched them in a while because the banding for the widescreen looked terrible on my older TVs.

My parents owned the OT on VHS which they passed on to me, so i never felt the need to purchase another set of them on DVD. At that point in my life, I was still somewhat attached to my VHS library, and I figured star wars as I knew it would always be available. Then special editions happened. Then my VHS library went by the wayside. Then came the realization that star wars original was replaced forever with that special edition stuff.

The desire to see star wars as I had always known began to build over time, despite owning the highly available special editions. When you want to introduce someone you care about to star wars, you want that person to experience it for the first time as you did, the better way. The RIGHT way. Because you know that they would watch the special editions, they will look at the TV all weird when the Nascar Guy yodels at the sandpeople or Han steps over Jabba in ANH, or Jedi Rocks comes on in ROtJ and they are going to be thinking "THIS weirdness is what he liked for so many years?" when the answer couldn't be further from the truth, and your inability to even explain what the hell you are even talking about frustrates you.

According to the radio drama scripts it was a Krayat Dragon call. It was the same sound used for the Dewbacks and Lucas decided it should be different since the Dewbacks aren't scary to sand people. So in the Se it was made into a weird trilling dino-bird sound. In later releases it was changed to the whoop Dana mentions-- though in the version I watched the other night it was changed further by making the whoop more echo-y and ghost like.

It's weird to me cause I remember the original so well-- but I have to admit, if I was easily frightened and on and alien desert I would hear that noise and run the hell away... and maybe return later it greater numbers.

{/nerd]

Because you know that they would watch the special editions, they will look at the TV all weird when the Nascar Guy yodels at the sandpeople or Han steps over Jabba in ANH, or Jedi Rocks comes on in ROtJ and they are going to be thinking "THIS weirdness is what he liked for so many years?"

The casual audience and most definitely people who've never seen these films couldn't care less about the differences between the originals and SE. And if that's the reaction someone gives you, "THIS weirdness is what he liked?" the original 80's Flashdance version of the Reebo band number plus the yub yub Ewok dance is no better.

It's weird to me cause I remember the original so well-- but I have to admit, if I was easily frightened and on and alien desert I would hear that noise and run the hell away... and maybe return later it greater numbers.

AOTC gave me the impression the Sand People were more aggressive in earlier times. But then when Anakin slaughtered a whole camp, it made them more weary, especially when dealing with an unknown hooded being walking around the desert.

They were probably all-- OH **** IT'S THAT GUY! HE'S GOING TO BE INSUFFERABLE, WOODEN, PETULANT, AND WHINEY AND THEN KILL US!

To be fair, I have the same reaction the Sand People did when somebody says "Hey let's watch Attack of the Clones."

AOTC gave me the impression the Sand People were more aggressive in earlier times. But then when Anakin slaughtered a whole camp, it made them more weary, especially when dealing with an unknown hooded being walking around the desert.

Holy shit. I never thought of that! Good point.

They were probably all-- OH **** IT'S THAT GUY! HE'S GOING TO BE INSUFFERABLE, WOODEN, PETULANT, AND WHINEY AND THEN KILL US!

I was under the impression you liked Kylo Ren?

Kylo Ren is what Anakin Skywalker should have been.

It's not the petulance, temper tantrums, and immaturity themselves, it's how they are written, directed and portrayed.

After an officer gives Kylo the news that BB-8 escaped Jakku, he throws a huge temper tantrum by slashing up a control console. When done, he turns back to said officer and asks sarcastically in pure Spaceball form, "was there anything else?" Later, during another tantrum, we see the two troops do the about face right back down the hall.

Kylo's emo tantrums were "written, directed and portrayed" for laughs. Mel Brooks must've had a hand in writing the script.

The fact they were somewhat funny doesn't make them not good. Add them to everything else... I think Adam Driver did a great job at portraying somebody who was struggling with the dark side of the force and ultimately chooses that as his path.

Which is what were always told Anakin did.

If you're saying you think Hayden Christensen and the PT did a better job at telling that story than TFA did... well... I guess you can have that opinion. But I'll never understand it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

According to the radio drama scripts it was a Krayat Dragon call. It was the same sound used for the Dewbacks and Lucas decided it should be different since the Dewbacks aren't scary to sand people. So in the Se it was made into a weird trilling dino-bird sound. In later releases it was changed to the whoop Dana mentions-- though in the version I watched the other night it was changed further by making the whoop more echo-y and ghost like.

{/nerd]

I can understand changing the Krayt Dragon call, but that new trill was not only plain stupid sounding and not fitting of a monster supposedly scary enough to scare off Tuskin raiders, it sounds too much like the Boga lizard in ROTS.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have to back up here and correct myself. The 2004 SE DVD version sounds a lot like that Boga lizard to me.

I don't own the blu ray version, so I didn't realize they had changed it AGAIN, until I reread your post. Then I looked it up on youtube, and have to say that is an improvement, but I still like the original the best.

Effing Lucas and his bazillion alterations, it's hard to keep track.

The fact they were somewhat funny doesn't make them not good. Add them to everything else... I think Adam Driver did a great job at portraying somebody who was struggling with the dark side of the force and ultimately chooses that as his path.

Which is what were always told Anakin did.

If you're saying you think Hayden Christensen and the PT did a better job at telling that story than TFA did... well... I guess you can have that opinion. But I'll never understand it.

Remember the officer thinking Vadar was gonna kill him in ESB but Vadar just walks out. Same vibe. Nobody bashed that for being awesome AND funny.

When he gulped in relief you didn't think that was funny? It wasn't fall on the floor can't breath hilarious but I laughed the first time and still smile these days.

For me the second Ben meltdown felt the same way. I laughed when the 2 stormtroopers turned around and smiled the 2nd two times I saw it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.