OT Original Edit

ShadowDog

I watched the OG OT soooo many times in my life that I know them backwards and forwards. I know them by sight and sound and timing. The changes are pretty apparent to me.

That can account for them adding things shot but not originally included, beyond that it's cgi shots which are easy to spot in a movie you know was made before CGI was commonplace.

The current versions available are spotty with the CG too. Some bits-- like Jabba's ANH insertion have been updated further with more modern renderings, while other bits-- like the X-Wings approaching the Death Star, are still 90s era CGI, which to be honest, doesn't hold up over time as well as practical effects do.

There is, but there are a few quality issues with those unedited versions because of where they are sourced from (content is the same though)

I haven't seen the original versions for a while, but I usually spot any differences between them and any newer versions

(I think the CGI shots of the X-Wings approaching the Death Star are fine / still look really good, but that's because modeling and lighting an object like an X-Wing isn't that difficult; the textures are the hard bit, and the people who created those did a really good job)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Wasn't there a DVD set that had the unedited versions?

yes, I think they were laserdisk transfers.

My 2004 SE set didnt have the OG versions like Krawlie mentioned, but i think they had 3 or 4 different box sets.

Oh amd its been years since seemg OG ANH and ROTJ, but saw TESB a month ago.

I have an original ANH on DVD somewhere. I never got my hands on an ESB and ROTJ original DVD; I was under the impression they never existed.

Imagine a perfect world where you could buy on blue ray an "ultimate edition" blue ray set, where you could turn on and off any special edition change you wanted on a scene-by-scene basis in the preferences somewhere. In HD, you could watch a pure original, pure special edition, or any combination to your liking. They could charge $500 for the three movies and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I have an original ANH on DVD somewhere. I never got my hands on an ESB and ROTJ original DVD; I was under the impression they never existed.

Imagine a perfect world where you could buy on blue ray an "ultimate edition" blue ray set, where you could turn on and off any special edition change you wanted on a scene-by-scene basis in the preferences somewhere. In HD, you could watch a pure original, pure special edition, or any combination to your liking. They could charge $500 for the three movies and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

If Lucas had stayed in charge I think he would have ultimately snapped at the fact every fan in the world thinks they could do better than him, and would find a way to monetize it by basically selling, ala cart, every shot, sequence, bit of audio, FX component, alt angle of all the movies so fans could buy them clean and at high res to make their own edits.

Guest El Chalupacabra

No. I am convinced Lucas is going senile. I think he would have not done something that smart. I think he would have just found more CGI ways to dumb down the OT.

I watched the OG OT soooo many times in my life that I know them backwards and forwards. I know them by sight and sound and timing. The changes are pretty apparent to me.

Guilty as charged. Just hearing a piece of music from the OT I can pinpoint exactly what scene it's from, what is going on, what lines are being said if any, all of it. When you know the films so thoroughly like this, it makes any little change, no matter how minor or how "well done," jarring to watch. And the worst part is you never get used to it. It's not like after awhile the changes just start blending in to what you know and you don't notice them anymore. Nope, they are always apparent.

And not every change had to do with CGI or updating scenes. Some changes were made for no apparent reason. In ESB when the swamp monster spits out R2, Luke's line was changed from "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to "You were lucky to get out of there." In ROTJ, when Han is aiming his blaster at the Sarlacc tentacle, his line to Lando was changed from "It's alright, trust me" to "It's alright I can see a lot better now." Just hearing dialogue changes like that is enough to pull me right out of the film and make me think, oh yeah I'm watching a "Special Edition."

Speaking of which...

For me I'd say probably the mid 80s. I don't really remember them and how they differed from the updated versions. For instance, the whole shuttle thing in ESB. I had no idea.

God I hate this change. It cuts apart the scenes as constructed that are building the tension as the heroes escape Bespin just to show Vader walking. And again, changing a spoken line. Vader's "inform my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" doesn't even sound like him.

I never had any official VHSes growing up; we had the original Trilogy copied on do-it-yourself tapes. They were recorded from rented tapes in the case of A New Hope and Jedi, or from television broadcasts in the case of Empire (with tiny snippets of commercials which my dad carefully skipped over). All were recorded in the late '80s. For years I never saw the ending of Jedi because the tape ran out of space at the first Ewok trumpet call following the destruction of the Death Star. I finally saw it when it came on TV circa 1994, where my brother explained that the third ghost was Anakin Skywalker.

Yeah the first time I saw Jedi was on VHS recorded from the telly my parents recorded for me. I watched the opening scenes on tatooine over and over again because the first ad break came after Jabba's junk ship blows up. I thought that was the end of the entire film, so rewound and watched it again. And again. And again..... (I was 5 or something gimmie a break). My mum noticed and asked why i kept rewinding and I was all.. "Its finished so Im watching it again". The joyous expression that must've been on my face when she explained to me it was only an ad break and there was a whole film left yet to come. Kids eh. ****ing stupid.

I first saw the movies on home-taped VHS, too. We only had ESB and ROTJ, though, and I watched those many time before I ever saw ANH. To me, that sort of made ANH a prequel to me when I finally was able to see it when we borrowed the official tape from a family friend.

We had recorded them to VHS from rentals. By the time I was 3, I had memorized the opening crawl to the point that people thought I could read. I loved it so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.