Why Doesn't Nightly Care About Kids Getting Poisoned in Flint, MI?

Pong Messiah

Against federal law, the Flint River's iron-packed water was not treated with an anti-corrosive agent, so lead (what lots of water lines in Flint, MI are made with) started getting into people's drinking water. Ingesting lead is generally considered a really bad idea.

For me, the only question now is who the biggest villain in all of this is, and whether we are dealing with an utterly clueless/incompetent sort of evil, or more of a cover-up-and-hope-it-goes-away sort of evil.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Against federal law, the Flint River's iron-packed water was not treated with an anti-corrosive agent, so lead (what lots of water lines in Flint, MI are made with) started getting into people's drinking water. Ingesting lead is generally considered a really bad idea.

For me, the only question now is who the biggest villain in all of this is, and whether we are dealing with an utterly clueless/incompetent sort of evil, or more of a cover-up-and-hope-it-goes-away sort of evil.

Chances are it is probably both types of evil.

Better question - why do people care now, but not when the story first broke about a year ago? I'm a Michigander (nowhere near Flint, but we still share a state government), and I heard about it a long time ago. Now that the presidential campaign is heating up, all of a sudden people started caring.

Which is bullshit.

P.S., your initial description of the problem is woefully incomplete. This is a long but good explanation of what's been happening in Flint, written by a resident. - http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/10789810/flint-michigan-water-crisis

Here's the tl; dr version from the same site - http://www.vox.com/2016/1/21/10809478/flint-water-crisis-video

Better question - why do people care now, but not when the story first broke about a year ago? I'm a Michigander (nowhere near Flint, but we still share a state government), and I heard about it a long time ago. Now that the presidential campaign is heating up, all of a sudden people started caring.
Which is bull****.

Well, good for you if you knew about it before it was cool. I live on the west coast, read the news daily and keep up with current events; this issue only recently began receiving regular and detailed national coverage. Sorry!

:shrug:

Guest El Chalupacabra

Meowch, Pong. I think Iceheart was just saying that this should have hit the national news a year ago. At least that's how I read it, anyway.

Which is bull****.

Well, good for you if you knew about it before it was cool. I live on the west coast, read the news daily and keep up with current events; this issue only recently began receiving regular and detailed national coverage. Sorry!

:shrug:

I'm sorry I out hipstered you. I know you west coast people are very sensitive about that.

But this is exactly what I'm saying. Why didn't you hear about this last year? And though no fault of your own. I heard about it early from homegrown news blogs in the Detroit area (shared on Facebook by friends in the Detroit/Flint area), and from Anonymous accounts on twitter. Every so often the local news would make mention of it in passing. Note the links I shared are just a couple of days old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.