Episode 8 delayed

The last movie I saw on the big screen prior to TFA was... erm... TPM

I've been surprised at how differently I react to movies on the big screen (unspoiled sometimes) versus half-watching them on TV whilst reading their entry on Wikipedia, and I seriously considered getting an unlimited card for the local multiplex (monthly cost of that is the same as for seeing two movies a month). But I'm not sure I want to spend that much time there

That's my point Foz. Even given your circumstances you made time. Even if you had to go without sleep to do it. It was that important to you.

A movie is either that important to someone ... or its not. Star Wars is for a lot of us.

Yeah, I guess your point is right, but if there were two movies that were both super important to me... I still couldn't do it. There's an upper limit.

Personally, I'm lazy. I could literally go see pretty much any movie I want at any time thanks to my baby sister working in a theater. I just don't.

In 2015 the only movies I saw in the theater were Avengers: Age of Ultron, Inside Out, Creed, The Good Dinosaur, and The Force Awakens. And that was an unusually busy year for me. Kinda wish I'd made time to see Mad Max: Fury Road though.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The thing is that same December Avatar 2 comes out. So both of these movies will be eating the dollars up for the other. At least that's my opinion.

Either that or Avatar 2 is going to be pushed back. If not, Disney made a big mistake because the have a huge investment in both.

God I wish people would quit acting like as if a person is going to choose between one or the other. If they like one, they are more likely to see the other. A lot Star Wars fans see Star Wars movies 2-3 times in the theater.

But there are a LOT of people who are going to choose between two movies. I certainly wouldn't see both, and even if it was a movie that I'm interested in, like say Winter Soldier vs Star Wars, I'd still have limited time to go see it. So I'd probably see Star Wars and see Winter Soldier eventually on DVD, and if I did manage to see both, that'd be during a time that I might see Star Wars a second time. The reality is that, sure, there are a lot of single people who see movies and don't have things that hold them back, but there are also plenty of people who don't have the same free time or money and have to make choices on how they'll use those scarce resources.

While I understand there may be a lot of people in your same situation, where either money, time, family obligations, or other factors (all valid reasons BTW) do limit movie viewing ability, when it comes to sci fi/fantasy, there is a large demographic that span generations that will see multiple movies in the theater during the same season. Especially in the case of Star Wars and Avatar, two very high-earning franchises. Each has its own built in fan base that has been waiting for sequels. Since they are both scifi/fantasy, they have a large fan base crossover. I haven't seen any evidence to lead me to believe when it comes to those two movies, there will be a significant amount of fans that will choose to see only one movie or the other. In fact, I'd say chances are a lot higher that these two movies are exactly the type of movie that people WANT to see theatrically, and both movies are good examples of fans going to see them multiple times in the theater, and not just wait for them on DVD. I don't see Star Wars stealing movie sales from Avatar, or vice versa.

I'll make this simple: Competition does effect box office.

Maybe you think that it shouldn't, but public mindshare is critically important to a film's success. Especially when it comes to blockbusters on the scale of Star Wars and Avatar. If you give the public a shiny new object, the previous one gets less interesting quickly.

If Avatar 2 doesn't move from that date, Star Wars is indeed going to lose some money over it. But Avatar 2 will be the big loser because it's really not as much a cultural phenomenon as Star Wars. It runs a big risk of being overwhelmed by the big kid on the block.

I believe that's a lot of the reason that Disney has moved the date. In the game of release date chicken, Disney flinched early. They thought that Avatar was bigger and were content with a traditional early-summer movie release. Well, now The Force Awakens is chugging towards $900 million. Disney has the juggernaut and is willing to play chicken again.

So 20th Century Fox is in a pickle. They need to protect Avatar. If Episode VIII overwhelms the first of three Avatar Sequels in 2017, that's not just a one-time problem. It's going to cause a big loss in revenue over the next two movies as well. My guess is that they delay Avatar again. And that seems to be the way things are headed.

If Avatar tries to break the Star Wars hold on Christmas, I believe that they'll wait until Christmas 2018. Currently the Han Solo movie is still scheduled for the summer. And even if it got pushed back to Christmas, 20th Century Fox would probably feel a whole lot safer going against a Star Wars anthology spin-off than something in the main line of the series.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'll make this simple: Competition does effect box office.

Maybe you think that it shouldn't, but public mindshare is critically important to a film's success. Especially when it comes to blockbusters on the scale of Star Wars and Avatar. If you give the public a shiny new object, the previous one gets less interesting quickly.

If Avatar 2 doesn't move from that date, Star Wars is indeed going to lose some money over it. But Avatar 2 will be the big loser because it's really not as much a cultural phenomenon as Star Wars. It runs a big risk of being overwhelmed by the big kid on the block.

I believe that's a lot of the reason that Disney has moved the date. In the game of release date chicken, Disney flinched early. They thought that Avatar was bigger and were content with a traditional early-summer movie release. Well, now The Force Awakens is chugging towards $900 million. Disney has the juggernaut and is willing to play chicken again.

So 20th Century Fox is in a pickle. They need to protect Avatar. If Episode VIII overwhelms the first of three Avatar Sequels in 2017, that's not just a one-time problem. It's going to cause a big loss in revenue over the next two movies as well. My guess is that they delay Avatar again. And that seems to be the way things are headed.

If Avatar tries to break the Star Wars hold on Christmas, I believe that they'll wait until Christmas 2018. Currently the Han Solo movie is still scheduled for the summer. And even if it got pushed back to Christmas, 20th Century Fox would probably feel a whole lot safer going against a Star Wars anthology spin-off than something in the main line of the series.

Sorry, just gotta have to agree to disagree with you, Poe.

I can see Avatar cutting in to an anthology film, maybe. But definitely not an episode film. Just isn't going to happen. And as far as Avatar fans, they have been waiting for a sequel for a long time, so Star Wars won't hurt their attendence at the Avatar films, either. Maybe its sales may be hurt a little by Star Wars competition relative to bean counter expectations, but I simply have a hard time believing that Avatar 2 wouldn't make at least the same money as the original, regardless what time of year its released or what movie it goes up against....unless it was an inferior movie to begin with and it got bad word of mouth.

I agree with everything you're saying except in the case of Star Wars. It's too big. It's not losing a dollar to anything "shiny and new"

Afraid I believe you're fooling yourself a bit there. Just think about the effect on repeat business if Avatar comes out less than a week later. If you're taking your family to the movies, do you go see the same movie you saw last week, or do you go to the new one that just came out? All things being equal, new usually wins. Star Wars can withstand competition better than most franchises, but it's not immune. Even The Force Awakens saw some nibbling at the edges from its box office take from the unexpected strength of Daddy's Home and The Revenant.

Avatar would take a much larger bite.

but I simply have a hard time believing that Avatar 2 wouldn't make at least the same money as the original, regardless what time of year its released or what movie it goes up against....unless it was an inferior movie to begin with and it got bad word of mouth.

I don't think Avatar 2 has a prayer of making what the original made, no matter what the competition. It's just not a beloved franchise. If there was ever a flash in the pan box office champion, it's Avatar. The gimmick that it earned so much money from, 3D is not going to work a second time as pretty much every big movie has a 3D release these days. It also came out during a rather "meh" period for blockbusters in general. Check out the Top 10 from 2009:

1 Avatar

2 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
5 Up
6 The Hangover
7 Star Trek
8 The Blind Side
9 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
10 Sherlock Holmes
Here are some of the movies coming out in 2017:
1. Star Wars: Episode VIII
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3. Spider-Man MCU Reboot
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Wonder Woman
6. Justice League
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
8. Despicable Me 3
9. Cars 3
10. Coco (Pixar)
11. The Wolverine 2
12. Pacific Rim 2
13. War for the Planet of the Apes
14. Beauty and the Beast (live action starring Emma Watson)
15. Fast and Furious 8
16. Kong: Skull Island
17: Ready Player One (Spielberg directed)
18. Ghost in the Shell
19. Lego Batman
20. Kingsman 2
Plus I'm sure there will be plenty of big comedies that we haven't heard a thing about. The point being that the market is a lot more full these days when it comes to competent blockbuster movies. Disney alone can match the competition of 6 years ago.

Guest El Chalupacabra

You seem to be contradicting yourself there, Poe. On 1 hand, you would argue that Avatar 2 is going to steal away viewers from Episode 8, the one that will have Luke Skywalker by the way ( Episode 8 will break 7's records assuming it is as well done as 7, and unless it just sucks and word gets out), yet then you give all these movies to cite Avatar isn't going to do as well in the box office, relative to the first one. As for Avatar I think the reverse is true...Avatar won't be hurt by the other movies, but is going to hurt most of what you listed there,except maybe Pirates, GOTG2, and anything Pixar. Of course my argument hinges on the assumption Avatar 2 is at least at or near the same level of quality as the first movie.

Citing additional competition is not a contradiction.

Besides, I was pointing out the difference in Avatar's competition now as compared to 2009 by listing those movies and why Avatar 2 wouldn't do as well as the original. That point had nothing to do with Episode VIII's potential.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not sure Episode VIII will equal The Force Awakens. If it had to go up against Avatar 2, I'm certain it wouldn't.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

We won't know for almost 2 years, but if you are still around by then, feel free to resurrect this thread, and if I am wrong, I will be happy to acknowledge it. I am not saying you are wrong, just I disagree with you at the moment.

Citing additional competition is not a contradiction.

Besides, I was pointing out the difference in Avatar's competition now as compared to 2009 by listing those movies and why Avatar 2 wouldn't do as well as the original. That point had nothing to do with Episode VIII's potential.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not sure Episode VIII will equal The Force Awakens. If it had to go up against Avatar 2, I'm certain it wouldn't.

I'd agree it won't make as much-- in fact the performance of 8 will effect how the franchise is budgeted and marketed more than TFA.

in fact the performance of 8 will effect how the franchise is budget more than TFA.

Oddly enough, Star Wars films seem to be fairly cheap. Not sure if it's because Industrial Light & Magic is essentially in-house or those green screens were that cost effective, but all three Prequels ($343 million) cost less than Disney was willing to spend on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($378 million). And The Force Awakened cost a fairly standard $200 million.

As far as the mainline movies go, I don't think that's much of a concern. Studios would greenlight movies all day long if they could get half of Star Wars' return for that kind of a budget. Even if they're more ambitious next time out, the point of diminishing returns should fall well below where Disney would insist on drawing the line.

The bigger question, to me, is how well these anthology movies will be received. We really have no idea whether it'll limp over the $250 million mark as a moderate success or be the biggest movie of 2016.

I think Avatar 2 would diminish Episode VIII's earnings by stealing second or third or fourth viewings etc. If (and it's a big if) Avatar 2 has as much (2D) visual spectacle as the original (most of my friends that saw it on release thought it was flawed, but they all wanted to go to Pandora and fly around the floating islands in a Samson), I think a lot of people will want to see it on the big screen at least once.

in fact the performance of 8 will effect how the franchise is budget more than TFA.

Oddly enough, Star Wars films seem to be fairly cheap. Not sure if it's because Industrial Light & Magic is essentially in-house or what, but all three Prequels ($343 million) cost less than Disney was willing to spend on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($378 million). And The Force Awakened cost a fairly standard $200 million.

As far as the mainline movies go, I don't think that's much of a concern. Studios would greenlight movies all day long if they could get half of Star Wars' return for that kind of a budget. Even if they're more ambitious next time out, the point of diminishing returns should fall well below where Disney would insist on drawing the line.

The bigger question, to me, is how well these anthology movies will be received. We really have no idea whether it'll limp over the $250 million mark as a moderate success or be the biggest movie of 2016.

For the most part yes-- profit is profit. But in terms of what they want to spend on marketing it's a different story. Age of Ultron is a good example. Despite being a hit in terms of the box office and clearing it's budget well enough, Disney had expected it to perform even better.

The marketing budget for TFA was $350 million according to some sources. Making the movie is one thing, but justifying how far you go to market it (and TFA was EVERYWHERE) is a different story. If Rogue One and/or Episode 8 underperform significantly compared to TFA (even if they make a profit) they will rethink some of their model.

The marketing budget for TFA was $350 million according to some sources.

You sure that's not the production and marketing budget? Because that seems beyond excessive.

Especially given how much other companies footed the bill for television advertising for the film. I know I saw a heck of a lot more commercials for EA's Star Wars: Battlefront game and that one from Hewlett Packard where the kid builds an R2-D2 to ask a girl out to see the movie than I did any actual commercials for the film. Pretty sure Disney MADE money on those commercials.

I know that's not where all marketing dollars go. But that's usually a large chunk of it.

I think you may be right-- spending half again as much of your budget on marketing isn't unheard of in Hollywood-- and Disney can afford it, but my point remains I think. If other Star Wars movie underperform according to their expectation, it might mean smaller budgets for the next ones.

I think the real mystery they are nervous about is how Rogue One will do as the first Star Wars movie that's not about characters we already know and love (or are curious about).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.