Episode 8 delayed

Is it cause they think it makes for more money to do it then? Probably?

Though some sites are reporting it's cause they needed to rewrite for bigger parts for Rey and Finn. We knew E8 was adding another female lead-- but I kinda doubt this rumor. Rian Johnson wasn't working in a vacuum. He and JJ even helped each other out (according to JJ) where JJ seeded things for Rian, and Rian picked up loose ends JJ and Kasdan didn't have time to finish (you know, half the movie).

I really doubt they'd decide to have different leads in each film.

I read that those rumors weren't true. The press release on SW.com says filming is still going to start next month. I imagine they want more time for post-production, also so there's more time between Rogue One and E8 so people don't get tired or brand confused or whatever.

I'm also guessing they liked that a December release gave TFA a crapton of money.

Here's a fact-- every movie ever has "major rewrites" about a month or two before production starts. That's because as you get down to the wire you realize where your money is going, what your cast will or won't do, what locations you may not have secured. You've probably done table reads and will want to revise dialog. Your VFX supervisor will tell you to rethink a sequence that will take them a decade to render. There's tons of reasons to rewrite once everything solidifies.

Getting more time is usually a good thing. If TFA hadn't gotten it we would have ended up with some of Ardnt's seemingly terrible ideas.

Sounds like Poe Dameron was right - Star Wars is going to be a Christmas thing! December 15, 2017.

Sweet. It just made a lot of sense. My guess is that they took a look at the box office and decided that Star Wars was strong enough to overcome Avatar, so they didn't need to vacate the date.

Either that or Avatar 2 is going to be pushed back. If not, Disney made a big mistake because the have a huge investment in both.

Avatar is 20th Century Fox. The only thing Disney has from it is a section of Animal Kingdom.

Having a perennial Star Wars Christmas is worth a whole lot more to Disney than their modest investment in an upgrade to a second tier (by Disney standards anyway) theme park.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The thing is that same December Avatar 2 comes out. So both of these movies will be eating the dollars up for the other. At least that's my opinion.

Either that or Avatar 2 is going to be pushed back. If not, Disney made a big mistake because the have a huge investment in both.

God I wish people would quit acting like as if a person is going to choose between one or the other. If they like one, they are more likely to see the other. A lot Star Wars fans see Star Wars movies 2-3 times in the theater.

The thing is that same December Avatar 2 comes out. So both of these movies will be eating the dollars up for the other. At least that's my opinion.

God I wish people would quit acting like as if a person is going to choose between one or the other. If they like one, they are more likely to see the other. A lot Star Wars fans see Star Wars movies 2-3 times in the theater.

But there are a LOT of people who are going to choose between two movies. I certainly wouldn't see both, and even if it was a movie that I'm interested in, like say Winter Soldier vs Star Wars, I'd still have limited time to go see it. So I'd probably see Star Wars and see Winter Soldier eventually on DVD, and if I did manage to see both, that'd be during a time that I might see Star Wars a second time. The reality is that, sure, there are a lot of single people who see movies and don't have things that hold them back, but there are also plenty of people who don't have the same free time or money and have to make choices on how they'll use those scarce resources.

Yup. Before Star Wars, the last time I saw a movie in theater was Ant-Man, and I used to be a movie-every-weekend kind of guy. Still wish I could be, but life doesn't work out that way.

I don't even have kids yet and I hardly go to the movies anymore. I never got around to seeing Mockingjay, mostly because I didn't want to be totally depressed. The last movie I saw before TFA was The Martian. (I never saw Ant-Man, as I had no interest.)

If you're excited enough about a movie you make it happen. Case in point: ANH. If there are 2 movies at the same time you're that excited about, you make it happen.

In theory, that's true. In reality, it's not practical. I mean, shit, I've already been burning the candle at both ends and my answer to see TFA was to not sleep, and it took me weeks to recover from that. Let me repeat: I didn't sleep that night. I got home and tried to get a few hours, but then my son woke up crying and the whole night was wasted. If you're 18, that's reasonable, if you're a 35 year old professional with two kids, that's insane. And to try to do something like that for TWO movies that are both out at the same time? There's never been a movie and never will be a movie worth that level of sacrifice.

I mean, sure, I could blow off work but they have a term for people who do that: unemployed. I could cut out on family time, but I actually love my family.

I get that for a lot of people it is that simple: you want to see it, you see it. But the point is that no matter how excited you are, when you legitimately don't have time, you don't have time.

I won't lie, 85% of the movies I see are union screenings, or DVD screeners sent to my house. I've gotten lazy, and when it's my time or money it better be something I really am excited for, OR needs to be seen BIG to appreciate. Otherwise, I'll wait.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.