10 Cloverfield Lane

Iceheart

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm sure it relates to Cloverfield somehow-- probably to the aftermath of the monster attack.

Whatever it is, that is one of the most masterful trailers I've seen in a long time.

Lines up with the description of a chemical attack. Whether there was an actual chemical attack to take down the monster(s), or what the government said happened as a cover for the monster(s). It has John Goodman and that's all I need to know.

What I want to know is between Star Trek and Star Wars, where the eff did Abrams find time for this move, and how/why did he keep it quiet so long?

It's a Bad Robot movie. Meaning he was the executive producer. He signed off on the script, gave input-- but it was written and directed by other people.

He was able to keep it a secret because Bad Robot has turned itself into a mini-studio. I've been in a few times-- their waiting room has every toy I ever wanted as a kid.

They built a small soundstage for themselves and they are making their own 10-20 million dollar movies completely in house with no studio interference.

The font is the same as the original in the Colverfield title. Very nice. To me this movie looks like Cloverfield meets Fallout, except the bulk of it takes place in the vault so to speak.

So when she looks out the door, what does she see? Parasites? Actual Hammerdown Protocol damage? The monster, out there unaffected? Because why else, if they're already in the shelter, would there still be blasts heard and felt from within? Because the monster is probably still alive and being attacked by the military, as all the speculation surrounding the audio from the end titles of the movie was said to suggest.

"It's still alive."

So when she looks out the door, what does she see? Parasites? Actual Hammerdown Protocol damage? The monster, out there unaffected? Because why else, if they're already in the shelter, would there still be blasts heard and felt from within? Because the monster is probably still alive and being attacked by the military, as all the speculation surrounding the audio from the end titles of the movie was said to suggest.

"It's still alive."

It almost sounds like some type of creature sound at the very end of the trailer there...around 1:35? Might just be me, though!

This is one of those movies I never wanted a sequel to. I just hope this film will preserve the mystery of the first one. I like how Cloverfield left so much unanswered and never handed us explanations of what the monster was, where it came from, etc. I understand that there were some online sources that explained those things, but they were never explicitly explained in the movie, and its the mystery that made the movie work for me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

This is one of those movies I never wanted a sequel to. I just hope this films will preserve the mystery of the first one. I like how Cloverfield left so much unanswered and never handed us explanations of what the monster was, where it came from, etc. I understand that there were some online sources that explained those things, but they were never explicitly explained in the movie, and its the mystery that made the movie work for me.

Well, at least the story looks original. Seems that the story is mainly life trapped in a bunker with Walter Sobchak. I think it will not show the monster very much, if at all. I think it has the potential to be pretty good.

Look on the bright side. They could have made Cloverfield Too: the other cellphone video from the Bronx.

Yeah-- it's like a spin off. I think the fallout from the bomb to kill the monster, or some other bio fall out as a result of the monster has polluted some part of the world where these people bunkered in. I think it's less about the monster outside, and more about the monsters thy become locked inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it. I thought the acting was pretty good. The plot was interesting but I thought it really fell apart in the last 20 or so minutes. The psychological suspense stuff leading up to it was all great though. John Goodman was stand out creepy throughout.

• 1 month later...

I missed it in the theater due to bad timing, but I just realized it was out on blu-ray and watched it immediately. If you go in expecting it to be similar to Cloverfield, it will be a huge disappointment, but I really liked what they did with it. I even liked the last 20 minutes, which I gather many didn't. It will be interesting to see what they do with the franchise next.

Goodman was absolutely fantastic in this. He really pulled off the various sides of the character, making me doubt what was going on. I thought that Winstead and the other guy were good, too, but he nailed it.

Agreed about Goodman-- but he's always been one of my favorite actors.

This movie was great, and the reason those 20 minutes at the end seem off is because this was written as a not Cloverfield sequel. The ending was made after they bought the script and decided to connect the films.

I didn't hate the ending, I thought it just went one step too far. Had it ended with her seeing the stuff on the horizon I would have been fine. It was the sudden close encounter of the action kind that felt like it went one step too far.

• 3 weeks later...

So what exactly makes this a spin-off/sequel of Cloverfield? The first one was about a sea monster, and this one is about an alien invasion. Are these events supposed to be related somehow? I never read any of the online promotional stuff, so maybe this is common knowledge. I'm just missing how this film takes place in the same universe as the other one. Outside of the word "Cloverfield" in the title, I don't see a connection between the two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.