Cashmere

30 and 31. John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell, March Book Two and Three. The graphic-novel autobiography of Georgia Congressman John Lewis, one of the few surviving leaders of the 1960s Civil Rights movement, continues where his childhood left off. #2 focuses on his young-adult adventures in learning the techniques of nonviolent civil disobedience and enduring the resulting damage from all those Southern racists, whether at marches, diner sit-ins, "freedom rides", or multiple times spent in racist jails meant to quiet him and anyone associated with him. #3 picks up with the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham in '63 and covers up to the signing of the Voting Rights Act in '65, packing in far more detail than Ava DuVernay's Selma did. Essential reading for fans of the shameful side of American history.

32. Chelsea Cain, Kate Niemcyzk, et al., Mockingbird vol. 1: I Can Explain. The former Avenger and SHIELD agent with a poorly selling series is now the star of a bestselling trade collecting the first half of the same series, all because dudes online turned their hate-goggles toward her and lost their minds. It's fun, not-so-straightforwardly structured super-hero action-adventure in which the woman is the smartest character in the room, so I guess that's an online reaction that's gonna happen, though it shouldn't because this is good stuff.

33. Mike Baron and Steve Rude, Nexus: Into the Past. New adventures starring the '80s indie-comic sci-fi super-executioner of mass murderers/refugee planet guardian. Fun for us old fans, maybe not an easy sell for anyone else.

34. Evan Dorkin, The Eltingville Club. One of the most savage satires of heartless, single-minded fanboys ever put to paper, about four alpha-nerds whose intense love of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and comics take our seemingly harmless, oft-rewarding obsessions to the most selfish, offensive, damaging extremes and beyond, physically as well as psychologically. A collection 20+ years in the making, from the earliest short stories dating back to 1994, to Dorkin's final word on the subject, a two-issue miniseries that wrapped up their morbid, insular universe in 2015. If and when society reaches a point where "post-geek" truly becomes a thing, Eltingville needs to be among the movement's primary textbooks.

158. Scorpion's Dance by Warren Murphy

159. Jericho Day by Warren Murphy

160. The Sure Thing by Warren Murphy

161. Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

162. Animal Man omnibus by Grant Morrison

163. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

164. Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris

165. Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

166. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

167. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

168. Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

169. The Invisibles omnibus by Grant Morrison

170. Thor vol 1: The Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron

171. Thor vol 2: Who Holds the Hammer by Jason Aaron

172. Saga vol 5 by Brian K Vaughan

173. The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks

174. The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

175. Supercrooks by Mark Millar

176. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: The Interconnectedness of All Kings by Chris Ryall

177. The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects by Mike Mignola

178. Solo the deluxe edition by various

179. Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith

180. Once Bitten by Jennifer Rardin

181. Wolverine. Enemy of the State ultimate collection by Mark Millar

182. Imprudence by Gail Carriger

183. Judge Anderson: The PSI Files vol 1 by John Wagner

184. Marshal Law deluxe edition by Pat Mills

185. Superior Spider-man vol 4 Necessary Evil by Dan Slott

186. Manners and Mutiny by Gail Carriger

187. Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: Rise of the Sith vol 1 by Allie Scott

188. Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire vol 1 by John Ostrander

189. Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire vol 2 by various

190. Star Wars omnibus: Knight of the Old Republic by John Jackson Miller

191. The Mighty Thor vol 1: Thunder in Her Veins by Jason Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

51. Jurassic Park, by Michael Chricton

52. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, by Alan Moore

53. The Wind Through the Keyhole, by Stephen King

That's likely to be my final tally for the year. Gonna try to squeeze one more book and one more comic in there, but that's more dependent on the library getting them to me than reading speed.

192. Pigs Get Fat by Warren Murphy

193. Once a Mutt by Warren Murphy

194. Too Old a Cat by warren Murphy

195. Domino Lady: Moneyshot by Bobby Nash

196. Knights of Madness edited by Peter Haining

197. Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

198. Star Wars: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber

199. Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore

200. Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

201. The New Discworld Companion by Terry Pratchett

202. Ceiling of Hell by Warren Murphy

203. Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and other stories by Terry Pratchett

204. Original Sin by Jason Aaron

205. Original Sin Companion by various

206. Thor vol 1 by Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr

207. Thor vol 2 by Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr

208. Thor vol 3 by Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr

209. Thor vol 4 by Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr

210. The Superior Spider-manvol 5: Superior Venom by Dan Slott

211. The Superior Spider-man vol 5: Goblin Nation by Dan Slott

212. The Amazing Spider-man vol 1: The Parker Luck by Dan Slott

213. Avengers: Time Runs Out collection by Jonathan Hickman

214. Saga vol 6 by Brian K Vaughan

215. Infinity Companion by various

216. Cataclysm: the Ultimates' Last Stand by Brian Michael Bendis

217. The Maze Runner by James Dashner

218. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

219. The Death Cure by James Dashner

220. The Kill Order by James Dashner

221. Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

222. Curse of the Bane by Joseph Delaney

223. Night of the Soul Stealer by Joseph Delaney

224. Attack of the Fiend by Joseph Delaney

225. Wrath of the Bloodeye by Joseph Delaney

226. Clash of the Demons by Joseph Delaney

227. Rise of the Huntress by Joseph Delaney

228. Rage of the Fallen by Joseph Delaney

229. Grimalkin the Witch Assassin by Joseph Delaney

230. Lure of the Dead by Joseph Delaney

231. Slither by Joseph Delaney

232. I Am Alice by Joseph Delaney

233. Fury of the Seventh Son by Joseph Delaney

234. Spook's Tale and other horrors by Joseph Delaney

235. Coven of Witches by Joseph Delaney

236. The Spook's Bestiary by Joseph Delaney

237. Spider-Verse by various

238. Getting Up with Fleas by Warren Murphy

35. Ryan North and Erica Henderson, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe. The most awesomest Marvel super-hero of the 21st century (action! adventure! humor! trading cards! ACTUAL SCIENCE LESSONS!) stars in her very own hardcover graphic novel, in which the titular event does indeed occur -- not a hoax, not a dream, not an imaginary story, but it might not necessarily be that Squirrel Girl. As written and drawn by the same creators of the only Marvel super-hero book that my wife reads regularly, they do an equally stellar job here, of course.

36. Brian K. Morris, Santastein. A humorous riff in the vein of Young Frankenstein by way of Hitchhiker's Guide, in this version our man Victor is trying to build Santa Claus out of corpses, with mixed results. I have no idea if the jokes would take with younger audiences, but for my generation it feels exactly on-key, if somewhat twisted (as the author himself warned me, so I can't say I wasn't).

37. Travis Langley, ed., Psych of the Living Dead: The Walking Dead Psychology. Langley is an Arkansas professor/geek whose fan specialty is compiling essay collections by other scholarly geeks about various genre universes. Since I quit The Walking Dead partway through the season-6 premiere, I figured it was best to get through this while I still had the characters fresh in mind. The contributions span both the TV and comics versions, up to and including the Whisperers, with discussions and examples teaching readers how Our Heroes exemplify Maslow's hierarchy, masculinity narratives, clinical sociopath diagnoses, existentialism, defense mechanisms, and more. Much of this makes creator Robert Kirkman sound a lot smarter than he actually is, but if you're interested in picking up some extra terms and getting ideas for further Wikipedia surfing, it's thorough and largely not as dry as I'd expected.

38. Paul Dini and Eduardo Risso, Dark Night: A True Batman Story. Comics, animation, and TV writer Paul Dini was one of the next-level contributors who made Batman: The Animated Series the groundbreaking series that us comics fans have never shut up about. This autobiographical graphic novel tells the startling true story of the time when a pair of anonymous muggers thrashed him within an inch of his life, pulverized parts of his skull, and left him for dead. The long, painful road to recovery, from hospital to therapy to everyday terror and isolation, may not have been possible without his overactive imagination keeping Batman, the Joker, and other characters alive inside his head as imaginary angels and devils keeping him company in the waking hours while he tried to find a way to heal and go on living. Dini bares his soul in a candid exploration of the personal weaknesses that led up to the event, that made it worse when he tried to brush it off without going immediately to the hospital, and complicated his recovery all the more when he wouldn't listen to anyone except the fictional voices in his head. The last book I finished in 2016 was also one of the best, most haunting works of the year.

-30-

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who played along this year. Lots of books read by 8 different participants.

Just when I wondered if Darth Virul would break 200, he knocked that one out of the park with 238. Congrats to our most prolific reader by far. You get a virtual high five and a round of applause!

This year's totals were:

Monkeygirl: 1
Pavonis: 10
Cashmere: 12
Fozzie: 13
Mara Jade Skywalker: 24 (plus a whole slew of rereads)
NumberSix: 38
Krawlie: 53
Darth Virul: 238
Here's to reading more in 2017!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.