RIP David Bowie

Guest El Chalupacabra

Whoa-- must have been a shock. I know he was just about to go on tour, my landlord's son in law is his drummer and just arrived to stay in my guest house for the tour to kick off.

If that's true, that's the most heartbreaking part. He hadn't even played anything live in almost ten years now.

Whoa-- must have been a shock. I know he was just about to go on tour, my landlord's son in law is his drummer and just arrived to stay in my guest house for the tour to kick off.

18 months battling cancer, and he was planning a tour? I can't even imagine having that kind of drive and passion for anything.

RIP.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I read somewhere that his last live performance was 2005, so maybe it was a promo tour for his new album. But still, he just finished an album, and went out doing what he loved like Lemmy did last week. I didn't even know he had cancer. Or Lemmy for that matter.

Lemmy didn't know until right before he died.

What I loved about Bowie was how great he could sound just speaking into a microphone while strumming a guitar or sitting at the piano. No effects, no backing band, just him and his tune... he'd immediately make that sound all his own, and nothing else. How many iconic performers could ever pull that off? He could have unquestionably been one of the great singer-songwriters of all time, but he didn't settle for just that.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, very true Pong. He was the whole package and went for the entire spectacle.

I listened to these songs off the new album, Blackstar. Really liked them. The videos almost foreshadow his death:

Wow those were powerful. Blackstar is such an odd song, but very beautiful! Might have to buy this album, it'll be a heavy listen but I love the production and the songwriting.

Watching those was kinda like seeing the Johnny Cash 'hurt' video.. The self awareness is palpable. And the video for Blackstar reminded me a little of the Heart-shaped box music video. In that they both have similar shot set ups and both deal with death in a kind of oddly beautiful and psychedelic way.

fuck. 69 was too young for that man.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.