R2 Woke Up Because........

Metropolis

Not quite as bad as the Sifo-Dyas thing, but I would say it isn't far off.

How is this similar to Sifo-Dyas? We didn't get the details of the manipulation, but the gist of Dooku and Palpatine conspiring to fabricate a war was never difficult to read. Whatever happened to Sifo-Dyas and whatever his involvement before his death, Jango tells Obi-Wan that Tyranus (Dooku) was the one who hired him. So we know the Sith are in charge of the cloning program by the time Obi-Wan gets there via the movie's dialogue.

Details are a bit murky, but the basics of why this plot point is happening are pretty easy to follow for the audience.

Yeah, I never got peoples issue with that. The Sith used his name to order the army, then killed him. That way they could just deny it if it ever came out early. However by the time the army was discovered everyone was just happy that the army existed, because they needed it so badly.

That didn't need to be explained and neither does this. Neither does how Maz got the saber. They aren't important.

I think the Maz thing was adequately answered. It doesn't need a full explanation, but just an acknowledgment that there is more. And I'd be fine with that from either point.

The issue with Sifo-Dyas was that it was a thread they picked up, gave a very minute explanation and then dropped entirely. One line about him in ROTS would have solved it. Just, again, a simple acknowledgment that there was a mystery that they hadn't figured out would have been enough. It was a thread that was needless. It would've actually had way more of an impact to use Qui-Gon's name.

Having a gaps or gaps is not a continuity error. When this amount of time passes in a story it's a given that not every single aspect can be accounted for. At least not when making movies which by their nature have a limit as far as how long they should be.

If this was A Song of Ice and Fire, then yeah all of this stuff would be and should be explained. Because thats one of the things that makes ASOIAF great. It's completeness.

That's not the case with Star Wars, at least not for me. There is probably about 270 minutes of screen time left in this trilogy and if it's deemed that they could be better served showing us something other than explanations like this, I'm more than ok with it.

Basically there are 2 ways her getting the saber can be explained. One would be where it actually plays significantly into the story, if that's the case then explain it. The other, and probably more likely, is that she just got it. It was on the black market and someone offered it to her, she bought it because she knew it wasn't just a lightsaber, it was an important one. Then she kept it. If that's the case, we don't need an explanation. Like I said, we have probably about 270 minutes left. If it's a quick explanation like that, I;d rather not spend 2 minutes getting it.

I think the Maz thing was adequately answered. It doesn't need a full explanation, but just an acknowledgment that there is more. And I'd be fine with that from either point.

The issue with Sifo-Dyas was that it was a thread they picked up, gave a very minute explanation and then dropped entirely. One line about him in ROTS would have solved it. Just, again, a simple acknowledgment that there was a mystery that they hadn't figured out would have been enough. It was a thread that was needless. It would've actually had way more of an impact to use Qui-Gon's name.

I think though once it became obvious that Palpatine was behind the whole thing, it because obvious what basically happened with the creation of the Clone Army. A quick couple lines wouldn't really add anything. It's just one mistake the Jedi, and everyone else, made along the way.

All I know is, people I know who aren't "fans" but have seen the movies ask about it. And if you leave the audience asking questions, it should be intentional, not because you can't tell the story well enough.

In both cases, they messed up.

The issue with Sifo-Dyas was that it was a thread they picked up, gave a very minute explanation and then dropped entirely.

I still don't get it. Palpatine's conspiracy was going on in the background throughout the entire Prequel Trilogy. Sifo-Dyas was only a pawn in that larger puzzle.

It was a thread connected to the larger thread. One the audience could confirm as early as when Darth Tyranus is named at the end of Attack of the Clones and could probably figure out before that since it wasn't exactly a surprise. And one the Jedi continued to struggle with until Palpatine revealed himself to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith.

So, no, I don't think it was dropped. It was given enough detail to fit an important plotline.

I've never had anyone ask me about Syfo-Dyas. You really have?

I really have. Whenever I've talked to anyone who has recently seen the movies who isn't a big fan. Fans tend to overlook things because we know the story. We all knew the story pretty well even before the prequels came out, so we knew where it was going. People who don't need to have their hands held a little more, but Lucas wasn't interested in that. It's not a big deal, really, but it probably would've been better had it been Qui-Gon and the clones were ordered after he died. Then there's a connection to TPM and no mystery about whether or not he had actually done it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've never had anyone ask me about Syfo-Dyas. You really have?

I really have. Whenever I've talked to anyone who has recently seen the movies who isn't a big fan. Fans tend to overlook things because we know the story. We all knew the story pretty well even before the prequels came out, so we knew where it was going. People who don't need to have their hands held a little more, but Lucas wasn't interested in that. It's not a big deal, really, but it probably would've been better had it been Qui-Gon and the clones were ordered after he died. Then there's a connection to TPM and no mystery about whether or not he had actually done it.

Better yet, it should have been revealed that Syfo-Dias was either a corruption of the name Sidious (because I seriously thought THAT was where they were headed, until ROTS quashed that), or just made it Count Dooku who placed the order. After all, he WAS supposed to have left the order about the same time the order for the clones were placed.

Originally it was supposed to be Sido-Dyas and just a play on Sidious. But there was an error in an early draft of the script and, seeing it, Lucas thought the name Sifo-Dyas was cooler. So Lucas chucked the Palpatine alias and made him a new, but deceased, Jedi.

You'll be happy to know that the reason we're having this whole discussion today because Lucas thought his typo looked cool. :yes:

Lack of conviction in Lucas's artistic vision has led to more reasons to hate the prequels than I've ever seen in movies. What the hell happened to the 1976 George Lucas?

What? Because he changed a minor detail?

You care to go through the early drafts of the Star Wars scripts sometime? There's all sorts of weird stuff in there that got switched out. Green alien Han Solo. Luke training Annakin. The main character's father being a major hero in the story. Luke as a girl. Dwarf actors for Luke's family. Talking bitter R2. C-3PO as a more slick character (Anthony Daniels changed that one himself). Vader as a non-Force general (though there were Sith running around). And tons of other things that got flipped on their head by the time they got to production. Not to mention all the changes that happened in the sequels of the Original Trilogy.

By comparison, the Prequels were rather consistent from conception to the screen.

Actually, I think I need to know how Maz got that lightsaber considering where we last saw it. Without an explanation it's something of a continuity error.

But I do expect us to get an answer to that at some point.

Well, when asked, she did say "That's a story for another time." lol

Seems Lindelof isn't the only affected with LOSTitis.

I always thought Lucas wrote ANH...

Nope. Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz Did an uncredited pass at the script. If you look at early drafts you'll see scripts that are very clunky and full of poor dialog, very similar to the PT. the jump from the third draft to the fourth (which was what was shot) was an insanely better movie.

They were paid, but uncredited. They were given temple of doom to write in return.

Similarly, Lucas is credited as the writer of the novelization of Star Wars, but everyone knows it was actually Alan Dean Foster.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Once we start speculating how long it takes an astromech to boot up we've entered the realm of fan wank. Which wouldn't be necessary if an exclamation had been given on screen

Exactly. After R2 wakes up, it takes just seconds to do:

R2D2: "beep"

C3P0: "R2 says thanks to {insert reason}, he was able to power up."

How hard is that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.