R2 Woke Up Because........

Metropolis

Ummmmm

K

Well that was piss poor storytelling right there. If that's what they were going for...then a simple scene where BB8 plugs himself into Artoo, they both project their pieces of the map in the air, they merge together like a jigsaw puzzle, then Artoo lights up, beeps and rocks back and forth with excitement would have been much better.

...but they might lose their PG-13 rating because it's like robot sex.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I came across that article too. I agree with Dana-kin, if BB-* was the one who triggered R2's reactivation, it should have been made clearer. There was no need to leave everyone wondering about it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

How fast do 50+ year old astromechs boot up? And how fast can those old astromechs search an entire Imperial database of galactic locations?

BB-8 is the only clear explanation.

Not really, it could have just as easily been the fact R2 heard Rey's voice and that triggered his reactivation. Also, since we have examples of force users sensing death or danger from far away (Leia sensed the death of Han star systems away, Obi wan sensed the destruction of Alderaan, and Yoda sensed Order 66 going on, Palpatine sensed Vader was in danger, etc), I thought it possible Luke sensed Han's death, and then activated R2 through the Force.

A couple thoughts on the whole R2/map thing:

1-I really think they should have made the map be a map to the first Jedi Temple, rather than a map specifically to Luke. Would have made more sense for there to be copies of the map out there. Plus would have added to the mystery of if Luke was in fact there.

2-R2 is said to be in low power mode, he may be aware of whats going on around him at all times. Maybe BB8 mentions the map to him and R2 thinks "now isn't the right time". Waits a bit and then gives his part of the map.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Why are you speculating when a reason has already been given?

I am saying before it was confirmed, that was my speculation.

Why would anyone think hearing Rey would trigger R2? We had no reason to think R2 knew who Rey was, and they're never in the same shot, anyway.

Luke activating R2 remotely via the force because of Han's death makes no sense either. Was such an ability ever established? Have Jedi ever been able to manipulate computers and electronics from great distances?

Gotcha.

To Choc, Han did mention that Luke was looking for the first Jedi Temple. Though they do go out of their way to make it seem like a map to Luke. What if Luke wasn't still there? But those are only questions us more involved fans would ask I guess.

My question would be why the first Jedi Temple? If Luke is seeking out information wouldn't the LAST Jedi Temple be the place to look? Of course you're not hiding out on Coruscant. He was more likely seeking "enlightenment".

Guest El Chalupacabra

We don't yet know where Rey came from. Who is to say she isn't a Skywalker, or was a young Padawan Luke and R2 knew?

Kylo Ren holding a laser bolt in mid-air was never established previously, either. Who is to say reactivating R2 from afar isn't in Luke's ability.

It is worth bringing up, I think, that Kylo (or Hux) mentions explicitly earlier in the movie that they had gotten most of the map from old imperial archives and were just missing the final piece of it, so this isn't entirely out of thin air. As with the Republic and the Hosnian system, though, they could certainly have explained it better in the movie.

It is worth bringing up, I think, that Kylo (or Hux) mentions explicitly earlier in the movie that they had gotten most of the map from old imperial archives and were just missing the final piece of it, so this isn't entirely out of thin air. As with the Republic and the Hosnian system, though, they could certainly have explained it better in the movie.

Exactly. Especially since we're told the whole movie that it is a map to Luke Skywalker. How would the Empire have that map on the first Death Star? Abrams might not be as big a fan boy as we think.

Oh I know Ren mentions they have most of the map frm the

Gotcha.

To Choc, Han did mention that Luke was looking for the first Jedi Temple. Though they do go out of their way to make it seem like a map to Luke. What if Luke wasn't still there? But those are only questions us more involved fans would ask I guess.

My question would be why the first Jedi Temple? If Luke is seeking out information wouldn't the LAST Jedi Temple be the place to look? Of course you're not hiding out on Coruscant. He was more likely seeking "enlightenment".

It's not a big deal and the fact that Han mentions that's where they think Luke is is what made me think of it. It wouldn't really change the story at all for the map to be to the Temple rather than "to Luke". It probably makes it a bit more smooth and logical if you really want to analyze it though.

Why would anyone think hearing Rey would trigger R2? We had no reason to think R2 knew who Rey was, and they're never in the same shot, anyway.

Why would we think that BB-8 rebooted R2 when that happened like an hour earlier in the movie?

No one could figure this out and there were a lot of competing ideas. Honestly, BB-8 was low on the list since R2 ignored him and kept right on sleeping.

Why would we think that BB-8 rebooted R2 when that happened like an hour earlier in the movie?

No one could figure this out and there were a lot of competing ideas. Honestly, BB-8 was low on the list since R2 ignored him and kept right on sleeping.

Process of elimination. BB-8 is the only character that actually tries to interact with R2-D2. When did "an hour earlier" become too long to remember something?

Anyway, we have a "Word of God" explanation for the event, so I'm satisfied.

When did "an hour earlier" become too long to remember something?

If you're connecting two events in a narrative, an hour between the cause and effect with absolutely no reason to connect the two is ridiculously long. At that point it doesn't matter whether you remember or not, they're two separate events. It's impossible to for the audience not to be legitimately confused without Abrams coming back and telling us.

It means he goofed.

There were only a few new factors that happened in the scene where R2 came back to life.

1. Rey was nearby for the first time.

2. Anakin/Luke's lightsaber was on the planet.

3. Han was dead.

It would be logical to think that one of these factors would be the cause of R2 waking up. That's why the speculation rested on them. When something unexpected happens that breaks a stalemate, you ask yourself, "What's different?"

It's up to Episode 8 to explain it, or it'll just go down as another glaring error in the film. Not quite as bad as the Sifo-Dyas thing, but I would say it isn't far off.

Nobody who's watching a movie should have to look for off-screen explanations from the director. Someone watching it in 2070 should be able to pick it up just as easily.

It's up to Episode 8 to explain it, or it'll just go down as another glaring error in the film. Not quite as bad as the Sifo-Dyas thing, but I would say it isn't far off.

Nobody who's watching a movie should have to look for off-screen explanations from the director. Someone watching it in 2070 should be able to pick it up just as easily.

There is no chance they will explain why R2 "woke up". Maybe less than no chance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.